shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: How do you organize your digiscrap files?

Hybrid View

1. Red face How do you organize your digiscrap files?

So, I have been collecting lots of great kits and other digiscrap-related files, but I'm having trouble organizing them in my HD... I'm not sure if I go by an alphabetic order, divided by color scheme, by the artist's name or the kit name...

How do you organize yours?!?

Thank you!

I organize by designers name....But, I have to admit that I think doing by theme would be better because sometimes I have to open all my folders to search for my layout ideas.

I have a mess. I have many folders. I have started putting the paper items in a papers folder, the alphas in a alphas, and so on but I don't like separating the kits that come with all these things. I'm going to watch this thread to get ideas as well.

4. Quote Originally Posted by agarzaldynrd View Post
    I have a mess. I have many folders. I have started putting the paper items in a papers folder, the alphas in a alphas, and so on but I don't like separating the kits that come with all these things. I'm going to watch this thread to get ideas as well.
    At first that was my idea: alphas, embellishments, papers, overlays, etc. It seemed much easier... But the trouble with doing it this way is breaking kits apart and whenever we do an LO that goes online you gotta credit people and I've decided I might was well stick to just one kit, or else I will end up not crediting someone...

Right now, mine are in alphabetical order by artist name, and inside the artist's folder, separate folder for each of their kits...

I organize by store, then by designer
    It gets confusing when designers move around, but I like it that way so I can keep track of where I shop too

I also keep Collab kits separately because sometimes the designers are at different shops

6. I organize by designer.... i used to organize by shop, but then I started finding that designers sell at multiple sites. I do recommend that if you end up organizing by theme, etc., that you make sure that the designers TOU stays with the kit so that you're able to give credit when you design with their items. I have found that some kits don't even have a TOU, nor a preview page with their name....and I have a small handful of kits of which I have no idea who designed them. These would be for free kits that were awesome and downloaded. I agree with the commenter above who stated that she saves her collab kits separately. I do the same....

I always make sure the preview is the first file listed within the sub-folder, if the designer hasn't set it up that way, there for I can see it right away and determine if I am going to want to use that kit.

I asked a bunch of folks when I began how they organized their files, and I just found that I had to do what worked best for me.... i admit that it is hard to find a particular item when you have more than 500 GB's of stuff! :-) However, I have a fairly decent memory of my top fave designers work and I know where to go to grab stuff most of the time. The other times, I find it's quite fun going thru my stuff to find the PERFECT element or paper, etc.

I know I probably didn't help you at all, but I remember having this same question so I would be remiss if I didn't throw in my 2 cents. :-)

Warm wishes,
    Candi