shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help organizing

help organizing

Well i'm in the procress of getting a new computer and external hard drive, what't the best way to organize all my digi scrapbooking stuff. I feel like now it's so hard to find things. Any ideas? Someone help!

I sort mine by site, and then by designers. Sometimes, like the colab kits, I break down by both designers and elements, papers, etc. It all gets very overwhelming at times doesn't it?

Just fell like I can't find anything, do you keep your zipped files, or only unzipped?

I keep my zipped files in a separate folder and then I keep a copy of all the zipped files on an EHD that is only for the zip files.

The rest of my stuff I could use some help with myself!

I never keep my zip files, but thinking on that, it might be a good idea to keep them in a totally separate place like Mel does.

Hi Jenn, I sort mine by the site and then by the designer. Luckily I only have GDS as a major site where I get my stuff and then the freebies from here and there. So I have GDS vs others. I haven't kept my zipped files. I don't know if i should have but I haven't. Here's how I do it but I don't know if it's any good! it's still lots of looking for things if you want to combine elements from different kits. :)

Does anyone here use Picasa? I've downloaded it, but have no idea how to use it. I thought it is supposed to be really helpful in organizing. I would like to be able to search by store, designer, color, specific type of ellement, etc., but I can't figure out how to create tags. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try it, I've been keeping my zipped files and they just take so much room. I also do it by site and designer, but it just seems so messy and then all the zipped files get mixed in and I don't know what I've unzipped already. Maybe I just need to be more attentive.

I found a nice little program called tag2find (just do a google search - it's free). Then you tag all the files as you get them, with whatever label you want - designer, store, colour, etc...

I've only been keeping my zip files of products that I bought, in the folder where I extracted the files.

Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post
    I sort mine by site, and then by designers. Sometimes, like the colab kits, I break down by both designers and elements, papers, etc. It all gets very overwhelming at times doesn't it?
    I had been sorting mine by site too, then with folders for each designers.
    Collabs I keep in a folder from the site I purchased.
    Then (and still) I started to back up all my files and burn to DVD.
    While I feel good about the archiving, it is killing my organizational system.

So now I have one big folder for all my new supplies and organize by designer and collab. I am actually in the process of separating out things like actions, styles, and brushes, so that I can actually find them. (My PS likes to crash and I lose the brushes and styles I use all the time)

I kept all my zipped files for a long time. Then I decided that I spend all this time up front organizing, so I dont want to have to do that again if I lose something. Now I delete the zips and copy my supplies to DVD each month.
    This is actually helping me to use more of my kits, instead of spending the time looking for that perfect little staple or some brush I know I have somewhere.

Good Luck!
    It is a good time to for you to back up all your files.
    (ever time dh decides to upgrade my system, I lose stuff -- dont forget to back up your fonts too)