shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting your files from pirates on 4shared...

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Thanks for that Holly, I always use passwords, but have never unchecked the public search box. That should work perfectly!
    Me too, thanks for the info Holly.
    Erin

Thank you so much for this info. I did not realize someone could find your files.I will go check mine now.
    I always delete them after Holly gets them.I will start naming them different too.
    Holly, do you think it is a good idea to pw them too.
    How would I go about setting up a folder to upload to?
    I just upload the zip and it shows up by itself.I then right click and send Holly the link.

3. I dont see where it says my account...Must be because mine is free...Ill delete all and use winrar to password protect it.

Just checked mine and I had it set to "Not Allowed"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LovePSPUPI View Post
    I dont see where it says my account...Must be because mine is free...Ill delete all and use winrar to password protect it.
    I have a free account with 4 Shared, and I found the "My Account" box at the very top of the page on the right hand side. Not very big, you really had to look for it!

6. I finally found it and changed mine to not allow but when I went to go delete each one to reup with password it keeps going back to same page without a delete. So what do I do now? Holly if you want send me a personal reply and Ill give you my password and see if you can get them deleted. Thanks

Thanks Holly, I've had things taken on my 4shared account without my permission, that's why I had asked you to notify me when you got my QP's
    Off to check my settings.
    Elaine My Blog
    \

Thank you so much for this very good advice ! I changed my settings and hope it will help :)
    Love - Callista

Proudly creating for:

I changed my setting to "not allow". Thanks for the heads up on this.

Ok, I found the exact steps and I also found how you an control whether other files of yours show up when you give someone a link to download a file of yours and they go to that link. Usually on the right is a box called "related files" and may show other files of your you didn't intend folks to dowload without your permission. Here the steps are and if you scroll back up to my original post, you will now see a screen shot of what the settings should look like.

Here's how:

-Go to 4shared.com and log in
    -Go to your "My Account" link on the right side
    -Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks "Allow to show my files in public search results". This way no one can search for your files.
    -Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you CHECK the box that asks "Do Not Show Related File at the Download Page". This way when someone is downloading a specific file of yours because you gave them the link, they will not see the box on the right side that lists other files named close to yours (meaning show some of your other files that they are entitled to to download).
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.