shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting your files from pirates on 4shared...

Hybrid View

Protecting your files from pirates on 4shared...

To protect your work (and also GDS designer's works) when participating in exchanges here at GDS, we ask that you help guard against people stealing.

In 4shared, this is such a thing as a Public Search. That means that someone can type in something like "hollyann" or "candyland" and find all files on 4shared that have that in their name. And then since most files are not password protected, anyone can download them.

So, besides password protecting your files, you can set up your account in such a way that your files do not show up in public searches.

Here's how:

• Go to 4shared.com and log in
    • Go to your "My Account" link on the right side
    • Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks "Allow to show my files in public search results". This way no one can search for your files.
    • Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you CHECK the box that asks "Do Not Show Related File at the Download Page". This way when someone is downloading a specific file of yours because you gave them the link, they will not see the box on the right side that lists other files named close to yours (meaning show some of your other files that they are entitled to to download).

If by chance it's set to Allow, click the settings tab and UNcheck the public search box. Then you should be ok.

Here's a screen shot of my settings:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4shared_myaccount.jpg  
    Last edited by HollyS; 08-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Ah ha .... thank you so much for this advice and little tutorial ... going to check mine now.
    Sue xx
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present - Oogway [Kung Fu Panda]

Passwords

I had figured out how to remove from public searches but don't see where to set a password. Is that something you could easily explain in this thread?
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by tammyslogon View Post
    I had figured out how to remove from public searches but don't see where to set a password. Is that something you could easily explain in this thread?
    That is done after you upload and on a per file or folder basis. I usually create folders to put something in and then I upload to that folder. After, I rightclick on the folder and choose the sharing/security option and password protect there.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

thanks for the tip! I also make sure to remove the file once I know it's been downloaded by the intended recipient (I usually ask them to let me know).
    ~~Julie P.~~

Thanks for the password info. I will set up folders from now on. Thanks again for explaining this.
    Tammy

Thanks for these tips Holly! I'm just getting to know 4-shared and I think that I am way more friendly than it is!

So, if I make a folder called *Exchanges* and always upload to that folder, will the password always be attached to each new file I add? And will it be the same password?

Thanks for your help!

LisasMom on GDS, PhilsMom on Hello, JakesNana on Photobucket, Vicki in *real* life!!

Thanks for that Holly, I always use passwords, but have never unchecked the public search box. That should work perfectly!

Thanks Holly! This is such an useful information!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Thanks for that Holly, I always use passwords, but have never unchecked the public search box. That should work perfectly!
    Me too, thanks for the info Holly.
    Erin