shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Kit

1. Creating a Kit

I'd love to start creating kits and in fact have already started creating papers, but I'm wondering what to add. What and generally how much goes into a kit? What is your thought process when designing elements for a kit? What does a standard kit have? Is there even a standard?

So many questions swimming around in my brain...
    Deanna
    Mother to Ashley 16, Samantha 12, Dorothy 9, Madison 5 and Brian 13 months

I know just how you feel! I started fumbling around in the dark with regards designing almost a year ago and I knew absolutely nothing! I continue to learn something new each and everyday!

What I did is checked out a few stores and guaged for myself how many elements, papers etc. the kits have in general. I noticed some are larger than others.

Personally, I think a good selection of elements in a kit is always nice. I don't have a set thought process when designing - but hey, I'm still only learning!

All I can say is have fun designing! I absolutely love it and have finally found my little creative 'niche' - I only wish I had discovered this sooner!

Hi Digiscrapdee

I stumbled across digital by accident about 3 years ago. I love it and wanted to learn more. I read tutorials anywhere I could on the web, read, read and read some more.

As far as a kit, there are no set rules. These are just my guidelines others may have their own to follow.

I usually create:

15 elements or less and 6 papers and less is a mini kit.

15 to 40 elements / 8-15 papers Reg Kit

more than 40 elements and 15 papers is a Mega Kit.

Element inspiration for me comes from pictures of a scene, lots of scrapbooking magazines, browsing through galleries to see what other's create and sometimes just day dreaming something will come to mind. Media Mail, flyers, anything with graphics gives me ideas and the thought - Can I make an element with that?

I usually try to add in a Reg Kit

Tags
    Journaling paper
    Ribbons
    Frames
    various brads
    flowers
    beads
    borders
    corner pieces

you can also add word art

I like to make unusual elements too like little trinkets. There is probably more that I have not added but that is all I could think of for now.

Hope this helps you.

~Lori
    Last edited by travel124; 05-08-2008 at 07:33 PM.

4. Wow Lori, that is a huge help! Now I've got an idea where to start. Thanks!
    Deanna

oh your welcome, good luck and have fun creating!

6. Great tips and hints, thanks!

7. TuTs

Just read this message and was wondering if there was
    a place that have Tutorials on making the different thing
    that are in a kit...I use PSE6. Thanks

You're already in the right place!! Have a look in the store under classes - Andrea Gold teaches Photoshop and you learn oodles from her. Not sure too much what's in the PSE class, but I'm busy completing the PS Cs3 Advanced class now, and I have learnt so much! Send Andrea a PM for more details!

Quote Originally Posted by ndimich View Post
    Just read this message and was wondering if there was
    a place that have Tutorials on making the different thing
    that are in a kit...I use PSE6. Thanks

9. Quick question for those that took any of Andrea's classes. Do you get worksheets or anything to keep after the class? Cuz I know I'd forget so much. LOL
    Deanna

Quote Originally Posted by digiscrapdee View Post
    Quick question for those that took any of Andrea's classes. Do you get worksheets or anything to keep after the class? Cuz I know I'd forget so much. LOL

Yes you do. You receive a tutorial in PDF format (some are well over 10 pages!) with screenshots & working files too -loads of detail! So what I've done is printed them out and I constantly refer back when I forget something! Really worthwhile!!