shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Save as jpeg or pds?

1. Save as jpeg or pds?

When should I save something as a PSD or jpeg? I've made up some paper that I would like to scan and use for digital layouts - do I save it as jpeg or psd? If I save it as psd I don't get a preview of it in my folder -just that icon that says photo. Jpeg shows me what it looks like. I can still use it in a new file as jpeg, right? I'm a bit confused....
    (I'm using Photoshop Elements 3, if it makes any difference..and just getting the hang of it.)
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kathyinaz View Post
    When should I save something as a PSD or jpeg? I've made up some paper that I would like to scan and use for digital layouts - do I save it as jpeg or psd? If I save it as psd I don't get a preview of it in my folder -just that icon that says photo. Jpeg shows me what it looks like. I can still use it in a new file as jpeg, right? I'm a bit confused....
    (I'm using Photoshop Elements 3, if it makes any difference..and just getting the hang of it.)
    thanks
    If you have completed your paper and don't want to make any changes to it, you can save it as a jpg. PSD preserves the layers of the image, so that you can go back to it later and make more changes. PSD files are much larger than jpg files.
    AmyLeigh

Both! Then, you can make changes to it later if you want!

I agree with Andrea. I save my original layered PSD file and a jpg for printing.
    You never know when you might want to go back and reuse portions of a layered file.

5. aha, another great tip. I always wondered why save in .psd when I can save as a .jpg

6. Thanks

I thought I had read somewhere about saving as both - now I know why.
    Thanks!

If you want to confuse the situation, I sometimes also save as png instead of jpg, especially when I wish to retain transparencies, which are lost in jpgs.
    Diane
    ::Lawgal::

http://lawgalnet.blogspot.com << BLOG {freebies}

I save as png files as well for the same reason you do.