shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you like Designers to know?

1. This is really great. I have actually read it several times and think that the suggestions are very thoughtful and helpful!
    AmyLeigh

There are some really great suggestions in here. I have a couple myself. Please oh please don't use the same element and paper 3 or 4 times and just recolor it, we all have programs that we can do that in ourselves, I feel cheated when I open a kit and see the same paper or element recolored so much. It may say 8-12 papers but actually there are only 3 or 4 because all that has been done is that they've been recolored same with the elements, the kit description will say 5 ribbons or 5 ric racs and actually it's only one but in 5 different colors. I know we can do our own beveling and shadowing but it is definitely a lack luster kit when the element is made out of the papers in the kit and the elements blend in to the point that you have to find the element, it gets hidden on the paper. And I have found in some kits that the papers will be exactly the same from one kit to another again only recolored and added to a different kit, now those I really feel cheated on. So I guess my only big issue is the copying and recoloring of the same elements and papers.
    Elaine My Blog
    \

HI Elaine,

Funny, I've read requests for the different colors because people don't want to have to spend the time re-coloring. :)

4. Then perhaps there should be a disclaimer on the preview specifying that several of the papers/elements have been recolored or maybe make an add on of different colors. And finding the same stuff recolored from an old kit into a 'new' kit is really, really unfair when we're paying the same price. I personally have been turned off some designers because of this. If I'm going to spend money, I want something completely new, not an old kit with one or two new things thrown in. I hope this is not taken offensively because that is not my intent. I can only use the same elements/papers so much before I have to move on.
    *Wen*

5. I think the add on is a great idea. We could make a pack of ribbons, bows whatever, in different colors to go with the kit so if someone doesn't want to recolor they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by emst View Post
    recolor it, we all have programs that we can do that in ourselves,
    The thing is that this isn't always the case. Some people use other programmes for scrapping which don't allow for re-colouring of things, and for those people it would be very frustrating if there was an element or a paper which was only available in one colour.

Also, as Debra said, some people don't want to have to do the re-colouring themselves, or maybe don't know how to do it well, even if their programme allows it.

I do agree with the re-colouring of the same items for different kits though - that is a bit cheating!!

Quote Originally Posted by twirlyjoy View Post
    The thing is that this isn't always the case. Some people use other programmes for scrapping which don't allow for re-colouring of things, and for those people it would be very frustrating if there was an element or a paper which was only available in one colour.

Also, as Debra said, some people don't want to have to do the re-colouring themselves, or maybe don't know how to do it well, even if their programme allows it.

I do agree with the re-colouring of the same items for different kits though - that is a bit cheating!!

The recoloring was just one of my things that I don't like, as I said if the kit tells me there are 8 - 12 papers and 4 are recolored I feel cheated and I'm talking the plain papers not the patterned ones. It was just my opinion, no offense intended towards anyone. I thought all programs recolored, I had PSE 2, 4, 6 and now CS3 and with all of those I could recolor and I know you can in PSP as well, I don't know much about the other programs.

Great idea Christy about the add-on for the recoloring of the elements for those that can't or don't want to recolor, I really like that idea.
    Last edited by emst; 05-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.
    Elaine My Blog
    \

8. In my NSD travels (what an experience!) last weekend, I saw several designers who put right in their preview that x amount of papers are recolored, I think that's a fair way to deal with a consumer.
    For the record you can recolor in PSP and we have the advantage of retaining texture as well.
    Elaine, I saw nothing offensive in your post at all and if there was something offensive there then mine must be seen as doubly so. My take is this: This is a thread where designers can find out what their customers truly want. But it will only work if the customer is completely honest and does not gloss. It's good business sense to listen to the people who are paying for your services as long as the suggestions/requests are not outrageous of course.
    *Wen*

9. Quote Originally Posted by emst View Post
    Great idea Christy about the add-on for the recoloring of the elements for those that can't or don't want to recolor, I really like that idea.
    Actually that was my idea, lol, but I'm thrilled that Christy thinks it's a good one.
    *Wen*

Quote Originally Posted by WenRob View Post
    Actually that was my idea, lol, but I'm thrilled that Christy thinks it's a good one.
    OOPS Sorry Wendy, I went back and read that and it was your suggestion and I too am glad that Christy thinks it's a good one. Great minds think alike, LOL
    Elaine My Blog
    \