shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricky Tips - Photoshop and General

Tricky Tips - Photoshop and General

I havent found these tips anywhere else so I thought Id list them and a moderator can remove if they are here somwhere.

These tips are for Photoshop - particularly CS2/CS3 but I believe they hold true for earlier versions as well.

1. If you have a large number of brushes, actions, gradients, fills, patterns etc installed in the default directories of Photoshop, this will greatly impact on the performance of Photoshop - both in launching the application and when creating your layouts. It becomes more noticeable when you begin to have a larger number of layers.

This is because Photoshop pre-loads all plugins and extras into 'memory' when it launches.

Tip: save all your extras into folders outside of the program folders (ie your My Documents). You can still categorise them as you please. To load an addin, use the Load menu for that function.

2. When you download a brush or addin (action, gradient, pattern etc), when you dump it in your folders mentioned in Tip 1, open Photosthop and start a new layout. Any size will do but you'll work out what suits you best.

Load your new addin (eg brush) and on your layout, place an example of each component of that addin in a size you can easily see when reduced to thumbnail (usually 200 - 300 pt is good).

When you've got examples of each one, save your layout with the same name as the addin as a jpg file (ie. if your addin is a brush called butterflies.abr then save your layout as butterflies.jpg).

Later on, when you are looking for the perfect brush, action, gradient etc, you wont have to load each one into Photoshop to see what it looks like. Just browse your jpg's and select by that.

3. If downloading actions that are either free or purchased, also save a copy of the example picture where you downloaded the item. Save this in the same folder as your action and title it with actionname_webaddress.jpg take out excess info in the action name and also remove the www and full stops in the web address. This way you'll have a picture of what it looks like AND a reference to the supplier.

4. Fonts. These little devils are our essential tools. Having lots of these things is an absolute must. However, having lots of these devils installed will slow down the performance of any application that uses fonts and preloads them. This includes Photoshop, Powerpoint, Publisher etc.

I have this nifty little program called The Font Thing. Its a graphical viewer for font files and lets you install fonts and uninstall fonts with a simple mouse click. I love it for many reasons, the main one is because you can set the size of the thumbnail that the font is displayed in and you can also type your own text for it to display. You get to see before you use the font, what it looks like. A search of google will yeild results for a download host.

Hope these help!

thanks for the tips! I never knew how to organize my brushes (or even use them, tee hee).
    and, oooooh!!! Thank you for the Font Thing!!! I knew the fonts were slowing it down, but couldn't figure out how to use the new ones without adding them. :)
    ~~Julie P.~~

I user preset viewer to manage my brushes, swatches, shapes etc. and it's worth every penny! You can find it here: http://www.tumasoft.com/ and there's a free demo and a $10 off coupon there too.

4. Great tips & thanks for sharing.

well, I tried and tried, but can't get The Font Thing to even load on my computer. Is it because I use Vista? I can't find the answer on their website, or even how to ask them.
    ~~Julie P.~~

Yes Julie, Font thing does not work with Vista. We had Vista for a little while and I was so sad that Font thing wouldn't work. Now we have XP back so I have it back again. I did find a Font orginizer that worked with Vista, but now I can't remeber the name. I will try to find it for you.

I think it is Font Fitting Room that I like the best out of the ones I found. It has many of the same advantages as The Font Thing, the only bad side is that it isn't free, you can get a free 30 day trial though.
    Last edited by eb2177; 04-15-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Remembered the info
    Erin

7. I use AMP Font Viewer and I have Vista. Works really well and it's free!
    http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php

When I first started digi scrapping I loaded all my brushes, styles, actions into photoshop. It took forever to laod. I now keep them all in seperate folders.
    I have an ABR viewer for my brushes. you can get it here.
    http://abrviewer.sourceforge.net/

Quote Originally Posted by scrappintwins View Post
    I use AMP Font Viewer and I have Vista. Works really well and it's free!
    http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php
    Thanks Christy! I'll have to remember this when Hubby wants to go back to Vista, again.
    Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Maisie View Post
    When I first started digi scrapping I loaded all my brushes, styles, actions into photoshop. It took forever to laod. I now keep them all in seperate folders.
    I have an ABR viewer for my brushes. you can get it here.
    http://abrviewer.sourceforge.net/
    Thank you Maisie! I think I will have to check this out!
    Erin