shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reminder Regarding Piracy

Question Copyright Question

I know this is a slightly different subject, but I am wondering if anyone knows what the law is regarding photographs of objects to use in layouts. Personally, I prefer to have photo-realistic elements. For example, instead of creating "fake" buttons in PS, I want to use real photos of buttons. I also love to take photos of silk or other flowers. I want real photos of ribbon, string, yarn, and beads. These seem like pretty general craft items that would be difficult to claim a "copyright" on, but what about appliques or charms that are a specific design? I would like to sell kits with realistic items in them, but I have no idea what the law would be about this. It seems like fair use law doesn't totally apply here. Does anyone know? TIA
    Larisa ~ Garden Girl Designs

Designing For:

Grab my blinkie!

Great question, Larisa. Although I don't make kits, I'm interested in seeing that answer also.

Digi is all new to me, and this thread has helped answer a lot of questions. Although I did know about piracy. In fact, you will laugh at this----when I first started digi, my friend, who makes and sell kits sat me down and told me all the 'NO's" about digi scrapping, mostly the piracy.

So, one day, another friend, who thought she as doing me a favor, send me a CD with some kits on it. When I opened it and realized what it was---I froze!!! I was waiting for the sirens to go off, and the police to come charging into my home and drag me away!!!!
    I then broke the CD in half and threw it in the garbage!! HONEST!!!! I did!!!! Like I said, being new to digi, I figured that was best. Sadly, when I told her, she just laughed and said "nobody cares". How sad!!!

I know, from my friend who designs and sells kits, the hard work that goes into them. So, I will agree with what has already been said----DON'T SHARE!! Good grief---they arn't THAT expensive----buy your own!!!!!

And speaking of buying your own-----one more note. PLEASE give designers their credit due when you upload. This is how I have found and purchased many of my kits. In fact, I was browsing the gallery here, this morning, and saw something on a layout that I LOVED. She had listed the designer here at GDS, and I am definitely buying that kit!!!!

OK, I am jumping off my soap-box-----THUD!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by nana13 View Post
    So, one day, another friend, who thought she as doing me a favor, send me a CD with some kits on it. When I opened it and realized what it was---I froze!!! I was waiting for the sirens to go off, and the police to come charging into my home and drag me away!!!!
    I then broke the CD in half and threw it in the garbage!!

ROFL!!! I understand how it feels!!

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGirl05 View Post
    I know this is a slightly different subject, but I am wondering if anyone knows what the law is regarding photographs of objects to use in layouts. Personally, I prefer to have photo-realistic elements. For example, instead of creating "fake" buttons in PS, I want to use real photos of buttons. I also love to take photos of silk or other flowers. I want real photos of ribbon, string, yarn, and beads. These seem like pretty general craft items that would be difficult to claim a "copyright" on, but what about appliques or charms that are a specific design? I would like to sell kits with realistic items in them, but I have no idea what the law would be about this. It seems like fair use law doesn't totally apply here. Does anyone know? TIA
    Oh wow where do you sell from? I am looking for realistic elements.

Thumbs up

No sharing here either

If you would create something,
    you must be something.
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethex

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy__Eyes View Post
    Oh wow where do you sell from? I am looking for realistic elements.
    I don't sell from anywhere ... yet. But I am working on it. ;)
    Larisa ~ Garden Girl Designs

Designing For:

Grab my blinkie!

so it is OK to photogaph soemhting like a botton, make it a photoshop layer and sell it?
    Presto! Changeo! Photoshopo! - been using Photoshop since 1999

Hypothetical situation -

DH or DD becomes interested in scrapbooking. Would they be able to use the kits on my PC to create their LOs? DH has his own PC but DD does not. Would DH have to purchase his own kits or could he sit at my PC and the kits there? BTW I'm the only one that scraps in this house but I do know DH wants to learn so he can make me LOs for my Birthdays etc ....

I can understand not sharing between family members that live in another house but am totally unsure what the TOU would be if that family member lives in the same house. What if there is only one PC in the house? How would that work? I'm sure others would like to know to.

Thanks Sue xx
    Last edited by Muma; 09-20-2008 at 01:05 AM.
    Sue xx
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present - Oogway [Kung Fu Panda]

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGirl05 View Post
    I would imagine if you owned said Item and took the photo yourself .... your photo is copyrighted to you and you can do whatever you wish with it. Just my opinion though .... you can always send an email to the copyright office and find out. They are pretty good like that, a friend once wrote off to find out about fonts and if they are copyrightable .... scalable fonts are copyrighted as she found out but we obviously use them under the fair use law.

I also know that some of the realistic items in kits and designer tools are scanned in and not photographed.
    Last edited by Muma; 09-20-2008 at 12:55 AM.
    Sue xx
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present - Oogway [Kung Fu Panda]