shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok This sucks

Ok This sucks

21F
    Feels Like
    7F

Feels more like 0. Granted I am in North Alabama.. Way north..like 30 minutes from Tennessee north. but I'm still in the south geeeez.
    Man I'll take 100+ weather over this. I hate being cold.

I live in a 150 yr old not completely insulated drafty OLD house.
    It won't heat up today to save my life.

2. LOL!!!! Layering........no I'm not talking scrapping but instead clothes! I'm all the way down in south florida and it's not to get beyond 60 here. Don't laugh but that's COLD for us.............brrrrrrr! I mean Christmas we all wore shorts if that tells you anything!
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Little cold is good for you. =D
    And as they say...suck it up =D

Kathy

I completely understand, Bobbie! I am in NE Texas and it is in the 20's here today. Now, tomorrow, it may be back in the 60's! That is why we all stay sick around here in the winter......
    AmyLeigh

ahh Holly I'm not laughing. It's like that for me too.
    I'm from Louisiana. SOUTH Louisiana even. Anything under 60 is cold for me..
    If I put on my more layers of clothes then I won't be able to sit down or bend my arms or anything.
    Yup we're supposed hit back to the 60 this week and one day even 70 :O. I'm not overly complaining by this time last year it had been 10 degree's or less since Halloween. and didn't really warm up till April. and then it April we still had 2 weeks it was 30 degree's. So were doing better. Don't mean I got to like it.

ya I'm going visit Holly LOL

6. LOL Bobbie! It's sunny and warm on this side of the state line (and a wee bit south!). Still there's a chilly wind. I know what you mean about the house not heating up though. Hate that! You feel chilled all the way to your bones.

Us southerners are such wimps when it comes to winter! LMBO

When I was a kid we lived in eastern Tennessee, and I remember one year when it snowed off and on (mostly on) from Halloween to April. I like the snow...but only when I'm warm in my house. I'm so glad I don't live in that part of the country anymore, I don't like the weather extremes. But Tennessee was sooo beautiful, I want to go back. But only to visit.

Bobbie you need a little space heater, or one of those flaxseed microwave bag things to put on your toes (ya know like the neck wraps), it might help. And I promise I will not complain about being cold today, my husband will be glad about that. :o)

yeah I just finally bit the bullet and started the space heaters we have around here. We don't run the Central Heat because on a given month in this house which seriously has next to no insulation my bill would be almost 700.. So uhh no. We got jobs but we got other need to be paid bills too.

plus lets say this house is 3 stories. the basement is big enough with all the right rooms to be a small 3 bedroom, one bath house. So the Central Heat down there is Cut OFF cause no ones lived down there in about 3 years.
    The Attic. Which is big enough to play a full game of basketball in. Doesn't get the Central Heat niether. Cause well we might go in the attic once every couple of years. Tho it does have heaters up there. This house being so old a lot of the old timey heaters are still in place..most workable. So that leaves the middle floor which we live on. 2 bathrooms..one not used. 3 bedrooms. 2 not used..living room not used..so 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, kitchen, and Library (which we made our living room since the pc's are in here are used and there's not point in heating it all up for 2 people and a dog.

and Yes I'm defaintely Southern. From the Swamps of Louisiana as my fiance says..and well Lafayette is no where near the swamps but hey. So I am not afraid to admit. I'M A WUSS TO COLD.

I lived in Tennessee for a bit. Johnson City way north east. It got cold there and snowed once or twice beautiful place I never want to live in again lol

9. Wow, sounds like a beautiful old house. I LOVE old southern homes. So much history!

Be careful with the space heaters, fires start sooo easily with them.

Having grown up in AK, I should be better able to handle the cold....but NOT! Even with all my "natural insulation" I get cold too easily! And if I layer, I wouldn't be able to get through any of the doors in my house! LMBO

Sorry to hear you gals are suffering in this cold snap. Could be worse you know. I'm in northern Illinois - next to Wisconsin border - and it's 7 degrees here today for a high - and feels like MINUS 21 with wind chill - BRRRR!!!!!!

I grew up in an old farmhouse...and if our electric went off OR if it was cold, this is what we did.....

light a candle and take it around to the doors and windows and if the flame moves - there is a breeze coming in - a draft. take old towels or something and lay down at the edges of the doors - helps keep the draft and cold air out. you can also put duct tape along the edges of the doors - just don't do it on the door you go outside - LOL - or you will have to take it down and put it back up again.

close the doors to the rooms you don't use - tuck a blanket or sheet over the door and then close it - helps keep the warm air into the main rooms you are in.

to prevent your water pipes bursting - and they will if it gets too cold - and then you'll have a bigger mess - turn on the cold water faucet on all of your sinks - especially the ones that are on outside walls (walls that are on the outside of your house) - leave a LITTLE drip coming out - so the water pipes don't freeze up and burst!

if you light a candle in the main room you are in - it might heat up a little around it - BUT whatever you do - BE CAREFUL with candles, space heaters, and don't turn the oven or stovetop on to heat up - THESE can cause fires!

do NOT under any circumstances have a gasoline generator working in a garage to warm up - this can cause carbon monoxide poisoning - that happens up every winter in Illinois to some family who is trying to warm up.

If you have a car - you can always go for a quick ride to the stores and go shopping in a HEATED mall or store somewhere - helps pass the time in a WARM place. Just don't SIT in the car in the garage with garage door closed - that will kill you.

LAYERS - LAYERS - and LAYERS of clothing. Time to put on 2 or 3 pairs of socks, sweat pants under the jeans - and long sleeved tnecks or shirts under sweaters and sweatshirts - 2 sweatshirts might help.

cuddle up under layers of blankets on the sofa and use a laptop if you have one - OR to pass the time reading.

cleaning house or exercising also gets the sweat working - but then again - once you stop - you'll get chilled - so that might not be the thing to do - lol.

bottom line - drink warm liquids - hot toddies, hot chocolate, anything hot - helps warm you up on the inside.

main thing is to keep the drafts out - close off rooms you don't use or need right now - and drip the water faucets so you don't get burst water pipes.

this too shall pass - hang in there - and stay warm and SAFE - no matter what you do.

We do not stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing.