shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: March Progressive ART JOURNAL Challenge ~ Come Join the Fun!

March Progressive ART JOURNAL Challenge ~ Come Join the Fun!

Name:  PAJ_March_Header.png
Views: 0
Size:  394.7 KB

Wow!! Can you believe it? We are getting ready for the first prompt in the MARCH Progressive Art Journal Challenge!!

February’s challenge was so much fun and the pages everyone created are simply AMAZING!

So, I have been thinking about what to do for March. I think that we will do another regular Art Journal page for March and maybe April before we really start mixing it up with other mixed media things. I want everyone to be really comfortable with creating an Art Journal page before I go changing sizes or techniques!

I live in Northern NY almost right on top of Lake Ontario so the weather here has been horrible this winter. We are talking tons of snow and below zero temps for weeks at a time!! I don’t know about the rest of you but while I love it when it first snows, after three months of it I am ready for it to end and to start seeing some GREEN out in my yard! So for March I thought that we could pretend (although for many of our friends around the country and world this may be a total reality for you…humor me please!!!) that its Spring and the flowers are starting to bloom, the birds are coming back and are at my feeders, we can go outside and not have an icicle hanging off our noses!!!!

So this month this challenge is going to be about FLOWERS! But of course I have to be difficult and not even let you pick your own flower. That would just be too easy! So I found a site that gives what flower is for a specific month. (I have NO idea if they are accurate but we are just going to go with it!!) So everyone is going to get a specific flower that matches their birth month! (Some will have a choice as it listed two flowers!)

Here are the Months and Flowers:

January: Carnation/Snow Drop
    February: Violet/Primrose
    March: Jonquel (Daffodil)
    April: Sweet Pea/ Daisy
    May: Lily of the Valley
    June: Rose
    July: Larkspur/ Waterlily
    August: Gladiolus/ Poppy
    September: Aster/ Morning Glory
    October: Marigold
    November: Chrysanthemum
    December: Narcissus

I will also be giving away for FREE to start out the challenge my Stash Builder 6 to start you all out and of course there will be coupons thru out the challenge if you wish to purchase the other stash builders as a 50% discount!

So are you ready??

Name:  PAJ_March_Divider.png
Size:  248.2 KB

Week 1:

Step 1: Find a photo, a drawing, image of your birth month flower.

Step 2: Pick a background paper (you can use one from the stash builder or one you have in your stash! Any paper will work!)

Step 3: Pick a color from your background (use the color picker, if you don’t know how to do this please let me know and we will find a tut for you!) then use either custom shapes or one of your brushes to create a large solid accent (these papers are pretty busy so we need something solid in there!!) Then using either the filters in photo shop or any texture/overlay you may have, add some texture to your shape.

Step 4: Upload to our Art Journal/ Mixed Media Gallery and then post back here so we all know what is going on!!! Check out everyone else’s pages in the gallery too! You might be inspired by their process!! Leave them some love if you love the page too!!!

My Birth Month is September so I have the choice of an Aster/ Morning Glory. I found a seed packet for both, but I think I will go with the Morning Glory!

Here is my week 1 page for you to see as an example!

Name:  2chmd_paj_week1.jpg
Size:  147.8 KB

I picked an abstract shape, the pink color and I used the texturizer canvas filter that came with my PSE. Decided to put it in the lower corner, did a drop shadow at 45 degrees. I might change where I want it later on we will just see!

Remember any questions ask at any time!!!

Very excited to see what you all create this month!

Week 2:

I’m stepping it up a bit this week as you all proved what great Art Journalers you are last month!!! Some tips for this week: Don’t be afraid of using your blending modes, recoloring, extracting, etc. I am still looking for some good tuts for PSP…but if anyone wants to do something that isn’t sure of how to do it let me know and I will try to find a tut for you!! Remember any questions PM or ask in the forum!! Someone will try to help you out!!

Step 1: Pick and accent that you like and use it in your page THREE times. You can change the size, the color whatever to make it work for you!!!

Step 2: Find a picture, image, illustration of your “birth month flower” and alter it to your needs. Meaning, extract it, recolor it, age it, distress it, whatever you can think of. You are going to use it in the creation of a border down one side of your page. (Use flower atleast 3 times!) If you can not find your flower please let me know!! I have included some links below for some public domain sites where you could find them!

Step 3: Choose 2 pieces of ephemera (ephemera is is any transitory written or printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved. Such as calling cards, receipts, old advertisement, tags, etc. Some have been included in the stash builders!)

Step 4: Choose 2 to 3 accents to help you make your border. ( you can use more if you need too!)

Step 5: Arrange birth month flowers, ephemera and accents to create your border. You can put your border at the top, bottom, sides…where ever you feel comfortable with it!

Step 6: Upload to our Art Journal/ Mixed Media Gallery and then post back here so we all know what is going on!!! Check out everyone else’s pages in the gallery too! You might be inspired by their process!! Leave them some love if you love the page too!!!

Here is mine so far:
Size:  164.1 KB

Week 3:

So I thought this week we would dabble in a little mixed media collaging!! YAY!!

I have sent out this week’s coupon, anyone who did not get one please PM me! I try to make sure I have everyone but sometimes one of ya slip thru! J

Step 1: Pick a font that you like. (Preferably something that is thicker because you want to be able to collage on it. You are going to use it as a border on the opposite side of your page than you made your border from Week 2)

Step 2: Open a new blank file (Transparent) and use the font that you picked to write the name of your flower on the blank file, it will be easier to collage it. (Mine was ASTER and I did mine going down the side. You can pick how ever you want to do it I did my letters one under the other but you don’t have to do it that way you can do the whole word side ways, upside down, whatever floats your boat!!! ) Make sure you do it big enough that it goes the entire length of the border. (just do it in black we are going to go over it anyway)

Step 3: Now here is the fun part!! I chose to use a couple papers, then some accents from my Stash Builders along with some brushes to do my collage along with I stuck a texture over the entire thing afterward! You can do anything you want. Use as many as you want, as little as you want.

I clipped my first paper over the entire word. Then I took a purple paper and clipped it to just one letter. I then grabbed some accents and made them smaller so I could fit as much of them as I could on the letter. Then I grabbed a ephemera brush that I liked and just stamped away with different brushes (make sure you make each time you stamp a different layer that way you can make each individual stamp the size you want and put it where you need it! You can also change the color of each one) Once I was done stamping I clipped them all to the main image, merged and then added an outline, then I decided I wanted a texture too so I used an overlay and clipped that to the main image as well!!

Step 4: Drag your flower word to your page and position it where you would like it. I drop shadowed mine, and because my paper was busy along with my word being busy I decided to cut a strip of one of my papers put it behind the word and blend it in using a large fluffy brush with the opacity turned down to about 30% I also chose to move my shape into a new place and blend that in a bit as well and move one of my vintage ladies. Do what works for you until you like your outcome!

Step 5: Find a small quote about spring, pick a different font for the quote and put it on a tag and attach it somewhere to your word!!

Step 6: Upload to our Art Journal/ Mixed Media Gallery and then post back here so we all know what is going on!!! Check out everyone else’s pages in the gallery too! You might be inspired by their process!! Leave them some love if you love the page too!!!Week 3:

So I thought this week we would dabble in a little mixed media collaging!! YAY!!

I have sent out this week’s coupon, anyone who did not get one please PM me! I try to make sure I have everyone but sometimes one of ya slip thru! J

Step 1: Pick a font that you like. (Preferably something that is thicker because you want to be able to collage on it. You are going to use it as a border on the opposite side of your page than you made your border from Week 2)

Step 2: Open a new blank file (Transparent) and use the font that you picked to write the name of your flower on the blank file, it will be easier to collage it. (Mine was ASTER and I did mine going down the side. You can pick how ever you want to do it I did my letters one under the other but you don’t have to do it that way you can do the whole word side ways, upside down, whatever floats your boat!!! ) Make sure you do it big enough that it goes the entire length of the border. (just do it in black we are going to go over it anyway)

Step 3: Now here is the fun part!! I chose to use a couple papers, then some accents from my Stash Builders along with some brushes to do my collage along with I stuck a texture over the entire thing afterward! You can do anything you want. Use as many as you want, as little as you want.

I clipped my first paper over the entire word. Then I took a purple paper and clipped it to just one letter. I then grabbed some accents and made them smaller so I could fit as much of them as I could on the letter. Then I grabbed a ephemera brush that I liked and just stamped away with different brushes (make sure you make each time you stamp a different layer that way you can make each individual stamp the size you want and put it where you need it! You can also change the color of each one) Once I was done stamping I clipped them all to the main image, merged and then added an outline, then I decided I wanted a texture too so I used an overlay and clipped that to the main image as well!!

Step 4: Drag your flower word to your page and position it where you would like it. I drop shadowed mine, and because my paper was busy along with my word being busy I decided to cut a strip of one of my papers put it behind the word and blend it in using a large fluffy brush with the opacity turned down to about 30% I also chose to move my shape into a new place and blend that in a bit as well and move one of my vintage ladies. Do what works for you until you like your outcome!

Step 5: Find a small quote about spring, pick a different font for the quote and put it on a tag and attach it somewhere to your word!!

Step 6: Upload to our Art Journal/ Mixed Media Gallery and then post back here so we all know what is going on!!! Check out everyone else’s pages in the gallery too! You might be inspired by their process!! Leave them some love if you love the page too!!!

Here is mine!:

Size:  225.6 KB

Week 4:

This month we actually have an extra week in here and our pages are getting kind of full!! So this will be the last step in your page (the new month’s prompt will go up on April 5th since the 1st is in the middle of the week!!! )

So I have lots for you today!! It is ALL About the GLITTER of course!!! I have a glitter FREEBIE for you…which I am sending the download link along with your coupon for 50% OFF Stash Builder 9 & 10 (you can get them both and use the one coupon…but if you are going to get them both you have to do it at the same time as your coupon is good for only one use!)

This has been another great month with this challenge!!! I am so so so impressed by everyone’s pages and how fast you guys picked up on everything!! I soooo need to step up my game!! LOL

So just a little hint for next month we are going to be switching it up a bit. Art Journaling is just another form of Mixed Media and Altered Art. So next month we are going to start mixing up the sizes. We are going to do a “Skinny page” that is the only hint I am going to give you! J

Announcements:

*****My day for the Daily Download FREEBIE is March 26th and the FREEBIE matches this month’s Stash Builders!!!*****

I am going to be doing a CT call very soon to add to my amazing team. I have three incredible ladies right now that make things I never dreamed possible with my kits. I am looking to add a couple more. If anyone is interested please PM me!! It doesn’t matter if you haven’t done a whole lot of art journaling…we learn as we go along!

Ok so now for this week!!

Step 1: You all know we need some glitter in here!!! I have created a little mini pack of glitter (download link in your PM….if you didn’t get one please let me know!) You can use the stuff from the little mini pack or you can create your own. You will need a border and some splats, sprinkles whatever to place thru out your page to give it some sparkle!!!

Step 2: Upload to our Art Journal/ Mixed Media Gallery and then post back here so we all know what is going on!!! Check out everyone else’s pages in the gallery too! You might be inspired by their process!! Leave them some love if you love the page too!!!

That’s it!! Easy Peasy right???? Thank you so much for joining me this month!! You all are such an inspiration and I look forward to seeing your completed pages and seeing you next month!!!!!

Here is my finished page:

Name:  2chmd_paj_week4.jpg
Size:  184.7 KBName:  2chmd_glitter_sbpv.jpg
Size:  114.5 KB

Links to help in the Challenge

Free overlays for distressing photos and images: Shadow House Creations

Photoshop Shapes and Brushes

Shapes 4 Free

Brusheezy

Deviant Art **I love Deviant Art, its a great place to find shapes, brushes and more for free to use with your art journaling. Just be aware that these are made by individuals and they all have different TOU's and make sure you have a good virus protector. I have never had a problem but just in case. Deviant art is a great resource and has so many talented people that post not only their tools for photoshop but their art as well!! Its well worth the look!

My Photoshop Brushes

Free Public Doman

US Government Photos <-----FLOWER IMAGES HERE!

Public Domain Vectors

Places for some great images if you are looking for Vintage!!

The Graphics Fairy

Free Digital Stamps

Karen's Whimsy

The Vintage Moth

Quotes and sayings:

The Quote Garden

Quotes on Pinterest

Brainy Quote

Art Journal Samples & Inspiration

Art Journaling Inspiration
    Last edited by criostirado; 03-22-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Do we hold on to the flower for now, or place it on the page?

Name:  Art-March.jpg
Size:  137.7 KB

I picked a butterfly shape - (appropriate for spring) and used these filters: Artistic - sprayed strokes, texture- grain, motion blur.

I even found my 'birth flower' in my GDS stash!
    Last edited by norskinus; 03-18-2014 at 07:12 AM.

My week 1, ready for a new lesson!
    Credits in the gallery...
    Thanks for the kit, Christina!!
    Name:  aj1.jpg
Size:  357.1 KB
    cath

Holding on the flower for now!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by norskinus View Post
    Do we hold on to the flower for now, or place it on the page?

Lookin Good Cath!!

Quote Originally Posted by hivart View Post
    My week 1, ready for a new lesson!
    Credits in the gallery...
    Thanks for the kit, Christina!!
    Name:  aj1.jpg
Size:  357.1 KB
    cath

I thought I'd try and join in this month!

Week 1

Here's mine, I don't know how mine will turn out my Birth flower is a Daffodil, which is yellow and there is no yellow in this palette. I found a Vintage Daffodil image, so we will see.

Name:  March-AJProgressive.jpg
Size:  200.4 KB

Awesome!!! Glad to have you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post
    I thought I'd try and join in this month!

Week 1