shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: ATC challenge swap - April

Hybrid View

1. ATC challenge swap - April

WELCOME TO THE GDS ATC CHALLENGE/SWAP
    Than you to those who participated in our earlier challenges

This month lets continue playing with our Backgrounds.

When you make artist trading cards, the starting point is the background.
    Remember we are working small.

ATC are not the same as making a digital scrapbook layout so it is a good idea to look at yours on your screen at full size [3.5x2.5in or 750x1050 pixels at 300dpi]and see how it looks on an ATC. The details you put in a scrapbook layout may be lost.

Another idea for backgrounds is to look at brushes or digital stamps. You could use a brush or stamp and make it big only using a part of it on your background.

I have a gift of 2 brushes for you but you do not have to use this to make your ATC unless you wish too. We love seeing your own creativity.
    You can get it here.
    Here is mine using using one of the brushes.

ALSO TO MAKE IT EASY to get the size right I HAVE PREPARED SOME TEMPLATES IN PSD AND JPG FOR YOU.
    You can get them here.

This month I would like you to try taking something big and use only a part of it for your background. Why not try using a brush if you have some from the designers that allow us to use their products?
    Or you could take a small part of a picture. photo or scrapbook paper/element.
    It would be great if you shared something about it - why you used it, how it inspired you.
    Once you have your background under control go ahead and finish your ATC off with whatever elements text photos you get inspired to use.

WHAT TO DO
    The finished size should be 2.5 x 3.5inches You can work larger if you wish and downsize. I like to make mine at that size.
    You should save it as a jpg file and email it to me [fullsize please ie 300ppi 2.5x3.5inch - 1050x750 pixels] at sharon@artforscrapbooking.com.
    Also post it in the gallery here in our special album. [rezise down to 72ppi 600px.]
    At the end of the month I will send all the files to each participant [if you don't wish for this then just let me know.]
    If you wish to go hybrid and then scan at the end that is cool too as long as the finished ATC is a jpg file - at 300ppi 2.5x3.5inches.

They will only be swapped within this group.

As there is swapping involved you need to be careful about individual designers TOU. Many and most don't allow us to give things to others.
    We encourage the use of items you make yourself or item from GDS designers. This is not a requirement but if you use anyone not listed you must have permission to use for this purpose.
    Keep in mind we are working small and most digital scrapbook kits will not be suitable. Downsizing can change the quality of the image. That being said you may choose to use a portion or crop parts to use.

The following designers at GDS have approved use of their products ONLY for the purposes of swapping within this group.

Art For Scrapbooking [my ATC products and CU products may be used for swaps here and elsewhere where no payment is involved. My other products may be used for this swap.]
    Keystone Scraps
    Andrea Gold
    JAB Digital Designs
    Studio4 Designworks
    Seoul 2 Soul Scraps
    Designs by Marcie
    Eirene Designs
    Karen Diamond Designs

So lets all have fun and have a go.
    You may even become addicted.

Last edited by Art for Scrapbooking; 04-09-2013 at 03:19 AM.

My background, I have designed it myself.

Explanation is in the gallery.

And my finished ATC:

I have put an inside stroke on the background, as if the smaller background is glued on an atc-card.
    As I do with 'real' atcs.

Explanation and the text is in my gallery.
    Last edited by Els AW; 04-09-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    creative greetings,

3. Love it Els. Great use of cut off images. They really accentuate the detail when you have them big. Thanks so much for joining in the challenge.

Hi Sharon!
    I would have like to participate but it seems that I'm not a good card maker!
    I did it twice and gave you some more work to resize them...
    maybe my software isn't adapted to this creation... or maybe it's me
    friendly from france, Sharon...
    cath

5. Quote Originally Posted by hivart View Post
    Hi Sharon!
    I would have like to participate but it seems that I'm not a good card maker!
    I did it twice and gave you some more work to resize them...
    maybe my software isn't adapted to this creation... or maybe it's me
    friendly from france, Sharon...
    cath
    Oh never mind Cath. It was not much work for me. I wish I knew how your software worked.

6. I love your wedding one Jakrn. These would even be lovely as place cards at a wedding. The fastener looks fantastic like that .

Here is mine.
    I used a small fastener and applied screen blending mode. Also applied the screen blending mode to both labels.

The Wedding Collection by Karen Diamond Designs

gallery link

8. I made 2 for practice. Thank you to Andrea Gold for permission to use her materials for this swap. And thank you, Sharon, for hosting this challenge!

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...ation&cat=1320

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...ments&cat=1320

9. Thanks so much for joining in Anita. I got the email as well. Great job on both. I like the repeated stamp and cut off butterfly on the first one. Not even sure why but the second is my favourite - the green just does seem peaceful. i like the background on this too - it seems very retro. Maybe I am liking it as I grew up in a house that was green everywhere lol - mum liked it so inside and outside was green.