shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Copyright question

Hybrid View

Copyright question

Maybe the designers can help?

When I was participating the contest, I got in my feedback that I could not use coloringbook-images, like the parrot in my "Tropical Wishes".

But, what if I see a greeting card with a drawing of a parrot on it. I buy it, scan and extract it, is this allright?

Another thing: I buy a doll, take a photo and extract the doll to use in a kit.
    Is that okay?

What if it is a Barbiedoll? LOL!
    My daughter and I loved to make clothes for them, could I take a photo and extract the doll, or is this not-done?
    creative greetings,

2. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would think if you purchased and are using for personal use, it should be ok.
    my thoughts are...the circle was only invented once.
    m

I know you can use everything for PU, but I want to make a scrapkit for sale ;-)
    creative greetings,

4. Quote Originally Posted by Els AW View Post
    I know you can use everything for PU, but I want to make a scrapkit for sale ;-)
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....gottcha.
    m

None of the things you suggested would be ok for making a kit to sell, Els. If, however, the greeting cards are vintage (no longer under copyright protection) and the doll is an antique (over 100 years old), then that would work. All the popular dolls and toys made by companies today are heavily protected by copyright laws, and they will pursue legal action against anyone infringing on those rights. Never consider using Disney images in any kits, for example, as they are very aggressive in going after people using those images for commercial gain. I'm sure Mattel is similarly-minded on this issue.

Of course you can put anything in your personal scrap layouts or kits you use for your own personal pages. But not commercial or scrap for hire.

Thanks you Donna, I knew about Disney and ofcourse about Barbie, that's such a big busines, you better not touch it ;-)

But another thing: in some kits I see those little statues of (as for example) angels, is that allowed?
    creative greetings,