shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Collage Challenge

1. Digital Collage Challenge

"So, what is a digital collage?"
    Here is the definition of collage from Wikipedia:
    A collage (From the French: coller, to glue, French pronunciation: [kɔ.laːʒ]) is a work of formal art, primarily in the visual arts, made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

A collage may sometimes include newspaper clippings, ribbons, bits of colored or hand-made papers, portions of other artwork or texts, photographs and other found objects, glued to a piece of paper or canvas.

The origins of collage can be traced back hundreds of years, but this technique made a dramatic reappearance in the early 20th century as an art form of novelty.The term collage derives from the French "coller" meaning "glue".[1] This term was coined by both Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso in the beginning of the 20th century when collage became a distinctive part of modern art.[2]
    So, think Picasso, or to simplify, just follow the rule that I use when I make a paper or digital collage:

Everything must touch.

Unlike Scrapping, or even my beloved Art Journaling, every item on your page needs to touch another- this is what builds cohesiveness and connects the items together.
    Of course, following a theme you have chosen helps. The cards in the ad above are examples of paper and digital collages I have made. You can't see it, but the heart and disk are touching the rest via a string.

OH! and the prize?? There is a surprise kit for everyone who posts a page!! The kit will be given out on Monday. And a winner gets the GC!
    Last edited by Amanda; 05-05-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Hmm, think Picasso ? I think Picasso would get a headache of mine LOL.
    It's a little different, maybe not what you intended, but i had fun making it !!! I sometimes like to challenge myself, set up a folder on my PC, go to google picturesearch and find as many pictures i can in a certain colorscheme (fiery in this case).
    I then use a prehistoric (well limited freebie) photo editor, (which allows no layers, no shadowing, nothing fancy, just some resizing / rotating / blending) and try and create something from the pictures i found.
    Had some trouble making the little things touch especially the tree leaves in upper right corner (but a pink icescoop took care of that).
    Some pictures i used: an icescoop (duh), makeup smears, scarfs, watercolor pictures, photo's and even the quote.
    Hope it is OK. Thanks for the challenge !!!

Didn't know where to upload, so it's in my member gallerie here.
    Click to go to OTBDS store:

Click to go to my blog:

Here's my collage, thank you for the challenge!

I know this is not what you were thinking of Amanda, but all these pics my DD just took of their Florida vacation were calling out to me to jump on the page, ROFL!

Florida vacation May 2012

That's a (photo) collage if I ever saw one, Cathy!

Yep, but it's a "digital" photo Collage,

No one ever said I was good at following all the rules, LOL

and....it was all done digitally! :)

7. Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post
    I know this is not what you were thinking of Amanda, but all these pics my DD just took of their Florida vacation were calling out to me to jump on the page, ROFL!

Florida vacation May 2012
    HEY,the only guidelines given are digital collage- everything touches-
    YOU DID THAT!!!! woooo hoo!

All I could think of was quilts when you said collage ? ? ? So here is a collage of American Story papers-not abstract I know.

well my idea came quickly but it took quite a while to collage it
    used search engine- FLOWER- to find my photos and layouts, chose one layout and layered everything else on or under it by erase brushing out things and clipping things onto it. Moved and added elements to get the touching and added journaling- the photo is my Mum.

10. Quote Originally Posted by mama4bears View Post
    All I could think of was quilts when you said collage ? ? ? So here is a collage of American Story papers-not abstract I know.

Abstract not necessary- Clever, Pam!!