shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Lost in the shadows!

Lost in the shadows!

Oh my! I am trying to learn more about shadows, and have come across what looks like great tutorials, but I can't even seem to make a shadow on a separate layer even! I will have - let's say - a flower on a page, and add a shadow to it, double click on the fx and can there adjust the opacity etc. But, all these tutorials say create a new layer for the shadow. I use Photoshop Elements 8, so I click the little square box at the bottom right corner which says - create a new layer - and it creates a blank new layer above the flower. But, how to I make a shadow on that layer? I really am clueless...can someone have mercy on me?

Quote Originally Posted by norskinus View Post
    Oh my! I am trying to learn more about shadows, and have come across what looks like great tutorials, but I can't even seem to make a shadow on a separate layer even! I will have - let's say - a flower on a page, and add a shadow to it, double click on the fx and can there adjust the opacity etc. But, all these tutorials say create a new layer for the shadow. I use Photoshop Elements 8, so I click the little square box at the bottom right corner which says - create a new layer - and it creates a blank new layer above the flower. But, how to I make a shadow on that layer? I really am clueless...can someone have mercy on me?
    Shadows on a separate layer are a Photoshop feature. Unfortunately, in Elements, the shadows are on the same layer, UNLESS you make a custom shadow. Basically, you duplicate the layer with the element you want to shadow, place it below that original layer, select the item, fill with black, add a blur, adjust the opacity, adjust the color if desired, and then smudge, nudge, or warp.
    I think if you search for custom shadows in PSE, you might find a tutorial or two.

I found a tutorial on You Tube tonight that shows you how to do a separate layer in PSE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTzd9NyIGm0

Thank you thank you thank you!

You are very welcome. Can't wait to see the results!

Cathy, you're awesome!