shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-Line Storage

On-Line Storage

I currently use Mozy to back up all my files on-line but I have to renew and they no longer have unlimited space. The cheapest one is 50gb and is pricey!! Does anyone use something that is less expensive? I do have 2 ehds that I back up to but I would hate to lose any of my stuff. For anyone that uses Mozy, the 50gb is for one year but they keep the stuff already there right??

I would NOT recommend Mozy. Ever.
    I had a complete hard drive failure last fall, and foolishly thought that since I had my back-up with Mozy, it would be all easy-peasy to get my information back.
    I was SO wrong.
    Their tech help is useless.
    Their web site is frustrating.
    The retrieval of my files was corrupted.
    It was a huge, headache-producing exercise in anger management for me.

I now have my back-up with Crash Plan, on-site. I back up my photos to Flickr. I SHOULD have another back-up somewhere else, in case a tree falls on my office. But, Mozy. No. Even if it weren't ridiculously expensive now.

I stopped my Mozy backup on the last price increase! Their prices are ridiculous now.
    I have 2 EHD's right now, and have started keeping all of my zip files on a separate EHD from all my scrapping files. Much easier to restore from the zips if something happens to all my scrapbook kits and files.
    Good luck finding something Anna, and let us know if you do.

4. I too would like to know about a good one.

OK, now I'm worried!!! I have 2 externals and one of them is connected to my mac time machine but I really don't ever want to lose my pictures, first and formost!!! How much space do you get on Flikr? Is crash plan an on-line site? I really hate to be without some form of insurance for this!

Thanks for any thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Precepts and Promises View Post
    I would NOT recommend Mozy. Ever.
    I had a complete hard drive failure last fall, and foolishly thought that since I had my back-up with Mozy, it would be all easy-peasy to get my information back.
    I was SO wrong.
    Their tech help is useless.
    Their web site is frustrating.
    The retrieval of my files was corrupted.
    It was a huge, headache-producing exercise in anger management for me.

I now have my back-up with Crash Plan, on-site. I back up my photos to Flickr. I SHOULD have another back-up somewhere else, in case a tree falls on my office. But, Mozy. No. Even if it weren't ridiculously expensive now.

My son, our home-grown IT dept, set me up with Crash Plan to back up to a separate EHD. I have 2 EHDs, one for files and design stuff, and one for the back-up. I should have an off-site BU, too.

If I'd had two forms of backup when my HD crash occurred, I could have backed everything right back on to my new hard drive from an EHD, skipping the whole business with Mozy.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to have two forms of back-up, on- and off- site. That's so you're covered in most eventualities. Off-site in case your home is burgled, a house fire, etc; on-site in case of a hardware failure.

Crash Plan does have an off-site option; just make sure it can back up your EHDs, too. Back Blaze is another option.

I have a Pro account with Flickr, for unlimited uploads. It's $25 a year.

OK, let me see if I understand. Crash Plan backs up to and ehd-I guess this is how my time machine works....it backs up to my 1st ehd. I have everything on both of my ehds.

Do you find that flickr is a safe site? I would hate my pics to wind up on some weird internet site since I have so many pics of my granddaughter. THANKS so very much for answering my million questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Precepts and Promises View Post
    My son, our home-grown IT dept, set me up with Crash Plan to back up to a separate EHD. I have 2 EHDs, one for files and design stuff, and one for the back-up. I should have an off-site BU, too.

If I'd had two forms of backup when my HD crash occurred, I could have backed everything right back on to my new hard drive from an EHD, skipping the whole business with Mozy.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to have two forms of back-up, on- and off- site. That's so you're covered in most eventualities. Off-site in case your home is burgled, a house fire, etc; on-site in case of a hardware failure.

Crash Plan does have an off-site option; just make sure it can back up your EHDs, too. Back Blaze is another option.

I have a Pro account with Flickr, for unlimited uploads. It's $25 a year.

You can set your photos to public or private, and you can also copyright them on Flickr. I've found it to be very safe and efficient to upload. You can them set your privacy controls to allow your friends and family to share/see the pictures. I've done this with our heritage photos. I scanned them, uploaded, had my family get their own (free) accounts, and then allowed my family to see the pictures. They can then also add information to the pictures in the captions, which is helpful when doing family history. I'm very happy with Flickr.
    If you're going to add lots of photos, though, you'll need a pro account pretty quickly. I have thousands, and I'll keep my pro account to enable access to them.
    As for my backups, I do need an off-site backup, too. I just haven't gotten around to it, which I should know better, as I've had a hard drive loss!

I just checked out Crash Plan, and they are having a 50% off sale. The Crash Plan + unlimited account is only $24.99 for a year right now! I think I may have to check this one out!

10. If you want to use Crash Plan to back up to an EHD (or another computer, even), that plan is free. It only costs if you use their on-line storage plan.