shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: How to recover Shape tool in PSE 6

How to recover Shape tool in PSE 6

I am currently using PSE 6 and my shape tool is missing. It shows the arrow (Shape Selection Tool), but when I click on it it says it's missing. I tried re-installing, but it didn't help. Tried to repair, but than it doesn't accept the original disc from PSE 6, always asks to put in disc one, which there is none.

This is so weird. I really like using the shape tool a lot.

My cookie cutter tool works fine. I miss my shape tool though :(

Is there anybody that can help?

Thanks in advance!

I have pse 7 and 8 and think there is a tiny difference in the tools. Did you try resetting the tools?

I have been having issue with my PSE 8 and I have text and elements disappear when I click the green arrow to confirm. I normally have to save, close out of everything and reopen to get it to work right!

Gremlins in computers are so annoying!

Hope someone else comes along that might have some real help for you!

Quote Originally Posted by cascrappinggirl View Post
    I am currently using PSE 6 and my shape tool is missing. It shows the arrow (Shape Selection Tool), but when I click on it it says it's missing. I tried re-installing, but it didn't help. Tried to repair, but than it doesn't accept the original disc from PSE 6, always asks to put in disc one, which there is none.

This is so weird. I really like using the shape tool a lot.

My cookie cutter tool works fine. I miss my shape tool though :(

Is there anybody that can help?

Thanks in advance!
    Not sure this will help, but here goes:

Are any of the other options available along with the shape selection tool? When you click and hold on the shape selection tool, can you see the other tools--rectangle, line, custom shape, etc.? When just the shape selection tool arrow is shown in the toolbar, you don't get the options for different shapes, you have to click and hold down the mouse button on the arrow to get the other tools to show up. If you don't see them, try resetting the tool as Cathy suggested, then quitting and restarting PSE.

Are there any *.csh files in this location:
    Windows:
    Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6\Presets\Custom Shapes
    Mac:
    Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 6/Presets/Custom Shapes

If not, have they mistakenly been moved somewhere else? Search your computer for files with the extension ".csh" to find an alternate location and move those back into the appropriate presets folder, then restart PSE.

Are you having trouble selecting a previously drawn shape with the shape selection tool? If so, you may have simplified it already (flattened it), making it no longer selectable.

Hope something here helps you find the solution.

Thank you so much for all your help!

I figured out that when I just click on the arrow, nothing happens (usually it would show the line tool and al the shapes, now nothing happens), but when I right click on it, I can see everything. Go figure.

Thank you so much for all your help!