shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Hero's Thank You - we need your help!

Thank you so much CavMom!!! We can use all the help we can get!
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

CavMom is a terrific mom and troop supporter. I've also asked her for addresses of people who might be willing to print some of our layouts to put up as posters in hospital wards or unit headquarters so troops can see them hanging. I'll be happy to email them to any one who volunteers to print! I'd suggest mostly 8.5. x 11 sizes, because it isn't likely they'll have wide format printers.

I once sent a picture of my grandson at 3 months of age and wrapped in an American flag to someone in Iraq and got back a picture of my emailed picture that was posted on a bulletin board over there. It was a very moving experience. Reminders of why they are there and who they are protecting may give them a little strength and added courage when it gets rough. Learning that we are grateful for their service is critical for their morale. And I know for sure they'd rather get mail than anything - well, maybe not including home-made cookies.....LOL!

I urge all of you to become involved, to hold out a warm hand to the most deserving of people, and leave your political views out of it, because it isn't about politics, its about one human reaching out to another in time of need and the lonliness of separation from their families. Every single freedom we enjoy in the U. S. is because they or someone like them fought for it at one time or another in our history.

Proudly CT Scrapping for Helen!
    GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

A grandmother's place is at the computer or behind the camera!

I'll do whatever I can! I'll see if I can get any email addresses and I'll be sure to make at least one page.
    My blog - where everything is Absolute Poppycock

As for me, I would love to express my support to not only American troops, but coalition troops because this is not just an American effort. To those of you in other countries, I ask that you help get our thanks to your military members, too. I remember 200,000 Germans at the Brandenburg gate expressing sympathy after 9/11, and Queen Elizabeth's tears. I have saved all pictures I collected on the internet from the weeks afterward, and the graphics that people made. They aren't all American by any means. I remember being astonished at the number of American flags that were displayed in individual's hands who are citizens of another country, and who support what we had to do. I rmember the candlelight vigils around the world, and I am as grateful to any other soldier from any other country as I am to our own. Please don't forget them, I won't.

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

Barbara, well said as always! I know that appreciation means more to our soldiers than just about anything, and that it still means something to them even decades after their service. My grandfather is a WWII vet and nothing makes his face light up more than when I tell him how proud I am of him or ask him about his time in the service. Really, these brave men and women are away from their families, facing untold dangers, so that we have the freedom to do the things we want to do (like hang out at GDS ). The least we can do is say thanks!
    My blog - where everything is Absolute Poppycock

The former commander of the Navy's largest hospital in Portsmouth, VA. has already responded. He will be sending me the addresses of military hospitals we can send layouts to. I'm hoping they will print them to hang in the hospital wards. Be sure to ask them to do that when you email them, and provide the URL of the gallery when Holly and Debra have it available. Not all of the patients are able to get to a computer, but they will see your love on the walls!

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

Personnel in Iraq As of (date)
    • United Kingdom - 7,100 - January 12, 2007
    • South Korea - 2,300 - February 22, 2007
    • Italy - 0 - December 2, 2006 (But they did have troops there previously!)
    • Poland - 900 - February 22, 2007
    • Australia - 550 - February 22, 2007
    • Georgia - 900 - February 22, 2007
    • Romania - 600 - February 22, 2007
    • Denmark - 460 - January 2, 2007
    • Total Coalition Troops ~13,205 March 7, 2007
      (This is approximately 800 fewer than February)
    In addition to the United States, 25 countries are contributors to Iraqi Stability Operations as of 14 March 2007:
    Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Georgia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, South Korea, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom.

Fiji is participating as part of the UN mission in Iraq and Hungary, Iceland, Slovenia and Turkey are NATO countries supporting Iraqi stability operations but are not part of MNF-I. (MNF stands for Multi-National Forces)

“Iraq Weekly Status Report,” Department of State, 24 January 2007.

If you don't recognize the names of some of those countries, many were countries where people know what it is like to not be free. Many more want to retain what freedom they have, or gain freedom in the future. I thought you should know.

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

God knows I'm in!!! Give me email addy's and I'm on it!
    Hugs,
    Babette

Visit My Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by bdjeepers View Post
    As for me, I would love to express my support to not only American troops, but coalition troops because this is not just an American effort. To those of you in other countries, I ask that you help get our thanks to your military members, too. I remember 200,000 Germans at the Brandenburg gate expressing sympathy after 9/11, and Queen Elizabeth's tears. I have saved all pictures I collected on the internet from the weeks afterward, and the graphics that people made. They aren't all American by any means. I remember being astonished at the number of American flags that were displayed in individual's hands who are citizens of another country, and who support what we had to do. I rmember the candlelight vigils around the world, and I am as grateful to any other soldier from any other country as I am to our own. Please don't forget them, I won't.

You beat me to it - I was just going to come and post here and ask whether anyone would mind/be offended/whatever if i volunteered to take part. Being in the UK, and not an American, I didn't want to 'step on any toes' so to speak, so thanks for the 'ok' - this is something I agree is very important :)

Joy - you are a joy!

Quote Originally Posted by twirlyjoy View Post
    You beat me to it - I was just going to come and post here and ask whether anyone would mind/be offended/whatever if i volunteered to take part. Being in the UK, and not an American, I didn't want to 'step on any toes' so to speak, so thanks for the 'ok' - this is something I agree is very important :)
    Offended? Oh, Joy, I'll kiss anybody's combat boots who is serving all who love freedom! I don't care where they're from! We are all in this together! The British were the first to call - no way will I forget them! I was in Washington D. C. on 9/11, and it is my understanding that it was a British pilot flying a Royal Air Force jet that circled our nation's capital to help protect it for a long time. I'll bet most Americans don't know that. I saw many British citizens who were visiting Washington or living there in a governmental function who left touching tributes at a tiny sapling tree in front of the Pentagon. They were still leaving them a year later. It touched me in a way that I will never forget. People from all over the world came and stuck little messages on the tree's twigs in the winter. And fresh flowers, even at Christmas time. And candles, and all sorts of things. I never felt so close to people from other nations as during my year there. Bless you, and especially your troops. I applaud all.

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara