shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Psp Xi - Help!!!

1. Psp Xi - Help!!!

I am back with another question. I downloaded a trial version of PSP XI. I am working fine in it (with the help of alot of tutorials, LOL), but I have a paper clip that is a .jpg and has a white background. How do I get the white background out? This is frustrating me and I have been working on this for about an hour now. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Michelle

2. Quote Originally Posted by shellylue View Post
    I am back with another question. I downloaded a trial version of PSP XI. I am working fine in it (with the help of alot of tutorials, LOL), but I have a paper clip that is a .jpg and has a white background. How do I get the white background out? This is frustrating me and I have been working on this for about an hour now. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Michelle
    Hey Michelle,

is that paper clip part of a kit? You might be looking at the preview of it.....I would start by looking for the .png file......I'll be around for a little bit longer if you should need any further help.....
    Patty

Say Hello if'n ya wanna.....userID PattyN

3. I purchased the clipart from another site and it is a jpg. There aren't any png's available for it. I know how to get rid of the white in DIP, but not PSP XI. I guess if I can't figure it out, I could always go into DIP and take it out and save as a png. But, if you can help it would be perfect. Thanks!

4. Quote Originally Posted by shellylue View Post
    I purchased the clipart from another site and it is a jpg. There aren't any png's available for it. I know how to get rid of the white in DIP, but not PSP XI. I guess if I can't figure it out, I could always go into DIP and take it out and save as a png. But, if you can help it would be perfect. Thanks!
    Gosh I am so sorry to be of no help to you.....I am pretty sure that there is an easy way of doing this but I am drawing a blank......the only thing that I can think of is using the lasso tool, with the settings at "point to point" and making selections on the white background and hitting delete to remove it.....I'm sure that someone will be on in the morning with an easier solution than mine, but I just can't think of one, lol!!

I hope you don't mind me adding this, but I did want to let you know that Alice has a set of metal elements in the store, her metal work is fab!! She has a set of gold, and a set of silver, and they're got paperclips in them. Just wanted to let you know.

I'm glad to hear that PSP is workin' out for ya (for the most part).
    Patty

Say Hello if'n ya wanna.....userID PattyN

Shelly, I don't know if you're still awake, but try this. If your paper clip doesn't have any white in it (other than the background, it should work)

Open your paperclip.jpg file. Select File, then Save As from the menu bar. When the Save As box opens, click the arrow beside the Save As type box and scroll until you find PNG Portable Networks Graphics (*.png). Now, click the Options button (it's the bottom button on the right side of the Save As box).

You'll see a Save Options box. Click the bottom right button on this screen, the one called Run Optimizer. You'll see the PNG optimizer box. About halfway down the screen is a bunch of tabs. You'll be on the Color tab. Click on the Transparency tab. Click on the bottom radial button - the one that says Areas that Match this color. Then click on the color box immediately to the right of this button. (The color is probably set to black now). Change the color to white. Click OK to save your color change. Click OK to save your Optimizer settings. Then, you'll be back at the save as option. Click Save. For some reason, you won't see the png file once you finish - you'll still be on the jpg file. So, just close the jpg and open the png and voila! you have a png with your background erased.

If this doesn't give you the results that you want (because it makes part of the clip itself transparent), then an alternative method would be to use your background eraser tool (looks like a pencil eraser with a green ball beside it) and erase around all the areas of your paper clip and then save it as a png file.

I hope this helps!
    My blog - where everything is Absolute Poppycock