shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: 72 dpi vs 300 dpi

72 dpi vs 300 dpi

Seems like I always have questions!!!
    Dawn and I have been having this ongoing conversation about printing and how my camera, Rebel T2i shoots in 72 dpi. Her camera shoots in 300 dpi. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this topic? Also, is there a way to turn a bunch of pics from 72 to 300 quickly? Dawn has sent me a bunch of tuts on this and I can't seem to get them going. Please weigh in on this!! Thanks!

There should be some setting in your menu of options that allows you to set the resolution of the photos for your default. You want to select the highest possible resolution in order to use that photo in scrapping. This means, generally, that you will choose to save your photos in high quality and large size (less photos will fit on the memory card, but that's no problem, just get extra cards). You can shoot either in jpg or RAW format, and your options are for 5184 x 3456 pixels (that's almost twice the dimensions of a scrapbook page), 3456 x 2304 pixels, or 2592 x 1728 pixels. So I don't understand how you're coming out of the camera with 72 dpi photos.

With regard to changing the resolution of your 72 dpi photos, if you don't change the pixel count, you haven't lost any data. If your photos are about half as big as a scrapbook page when you place them, they're fine, I'd say. It wouldn't do, though, to size up a photo like that to fill the whole canvas.
    Last edited by donakat; 07-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Dona, I just want the best resolution for printing. Am I understanding you correctly that 72 would be best for digi-scrapping. I always reduce to my pages to 72 when I get ready to save for the web but if I wanted to print a picture, don't I want it at 300dpi? or does it depend on the size I'm printing to? I'm so confused.....this is why I will never be a professional photog!!!! lol

Dona, my camera is set at the highest- 5184 x 3456 pixels but when I open them in PS, the image size says 72 dpi. Am I missing something?

Anna, it's ok that the photo says it's 72 dpi if the pixel count is 5184x3456. It becomes 300 ppi when you place the photo into your layout which is 300 ppi.

If you open a photo on its own in Photoshop and it says it's 72ppi, just change that to 300 ppi for printout by itself (keep "resample image" UNCHECKED). You'll see the photo dimensions change.

For example, my photo (downloaded from my son's FB account) comes out as 720 x 540 ppi, or 10 x 7.5 inches, at 72 ppi. If I change the resolution to 300 ppi I will see the dimensions change to 2.4 x 1.8 inches, while the pixel count remains the same. So, I should not try to print that photo out at 8x10 inches because the resolution doesn't support it--the pixels are not there to begin with. But with your photos, you've got the almost 18 million pixels to work with that came out of your camera (18 megapixels!).

So stop sweating about the 72 ppi photo as long as you're working with a 300 ppi page layout. It'll be larger than you need, and you can safely scale it down to fit, or use it to fill the whole 12x12 page if you want!

LOL @ Anna....I will never be a pro photographer either, all this confuses me!
    Dona, you are such a wealth of info! Thanks for always being there to answer all of our questions!