shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer

Quote Originally Posted by donakat View Post
    Anna, if you want the folder to show a preview, double-click on the preview jpg and it'll probably open in preview, then select all (Command-A) and copy (Command-C). Close that file and go back to the finder. Highlight the folder and get info (Command-i) then click on the little folder at the top left of the info box and paste (Command-V).

One of the very best things about Macs is that virtually all of the most-used shortcuts are universal through all the major applications, such as the ones I used above, and the quit (Command-Q) command, close window (Command-W), save (Command-S). If only Photoshop and Illustrator used some of the same shortcuts for their commands, life would be close to perfect!!
    I'm going to try this! Thanks Dona!

what great tips!
    finder takes a bit of getting used to, but it is so easy to switch between the preview views

the other thing that took some getting used to for me was dragging my camera card to the trash -- that whole fear of deleting it all -- but Eject does come up.

Quote Originally Posted by elenasworld View Post
    what great tips!
    finder takes a bit of getting used to, but it is so easy to switch between the preview views

the other thing that took some getting used to for me was dragging my camera card to the trash -- that whole fear of deleting it all -- but Eject does come up.
    I KNOW!!! That just freaks me out!

Ladies, thanks for all the tips. I feel like I haven't been able to finish one lo this weekend when weekends are my scrapping time. I don't want to go to my pc because I just need to practice. I know I'm going to love this but it will take some getting used to. Again, thanks and keep it coming if you can think of anything else!! I'm sure using google A LOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by donakat View Post
    Anna, if you want the folder to show a preview, double-click on the preview jpg and it'll probably open in preview, then select all (Command-A) and copy (Command-C). Close that file and go back to the finder. Highlight the folder and get info (Command-i) then click on the little folder at the top left of the info box and paste (Command-V).

One of the very best things about Macs is that virtually all of the most-used shortcuts are universal through all the major applications, such as the ones I used above, and the quit (Command-Q) command, close window (Command-W), save (Command-S). If only Photoshop and Illustrator used some of the same shortcuts for their commands, life would be close to perfect!!
    Dona, it worked!!!! It will take forever to do this but I live by the previews since I've also never learned how to tag my materials....next on my list!! Thanks again.

Anna - when I upgraded my computer a while back, I went to the Apple sight and watched some tutorials. They explain an awful lot. If you want to get to know the keyboard shortcuts, here's a page where they list most of them:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

Thanks Darlene! I've been watching a few videos both on this site and on stuff I found on Google.

Next question...when I go to save I only get one option. PC location then file Mac-location only?? Is there are way to go to the different files?

OK, I got the filing system under control!!!

Welcome to the Dark Side!!

We switched over a while ago, and now have EVERYTHING Mac, and I mean everything, except for my Mouse - I just need more buttons!

One or two books that I would recommend for you, and I have the first one on hand in standby mode for when I have that random question. It's a very intuitive and easy to find/figure out operating system, once you figure out the basics. But check out these books, they should be in your local bookstore. And in case you are using a previous version and not Snow Leopard, the books are available in earlier OS versions, you'll just have to do a search. Links below are to Amazon - just so you know what the book looks like and a brief overview.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, the Snow Leopard Edition.

The Missing Manual books are great and they have a ton of topics, even Photoshop CS5!

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Tricia, I haven't purchased the books but I may have to...lots of questions!

Next ??? I'm working on showing previews the way Dona explained and although I need to do this for my own sanity, it is time consuming and I, as most of us do, have TONS of materials!!! I love that I have a great stash but I'm finding that I'm using the same stuff over and over again. As I work through Dona's process, I'm finding kits that I just love and have overlooked.

Do you all tag/label your material for the ease of finding things? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks for all your help!!

You're Welcome, Anna!

As for the folder preview icons, I have also tried this but it is very time-consuming, and the preview is so tiny - it would be nice if it was enlarged in the Bridge preview. I use Bridge all the time, but no tags - if there is something specific I am looking for and I know the name, you can type in the search menu on top, and expand the folder selection to locate if you are having trouble finding it. Otherwise, I have things sorted by categories in different folders. With subcategories and sub-folders.

Like the kits - I have an Art Kits folder, and in the Art Kits folder is the separate Art Kits and their previews so I can quickly go to the correct folder.

You just have to find what works best for you for organizing.

If you have Lightroom - you can import the JPG previews and tag those, and then find them easily.