shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer

New Computer

OK, went over to the dark side and got a new mac book pro. I think I'm eventually going to love it but I'm trying to finish up our ADSR lo and I'm going nuts. Gonna finish it on the pc if nothing else. OK, now I have lots of questions. When I open up my CS5 I have set up my workspace but the middle, the actual space for the lo, is not there. I can see my desktop picture. Why? Also, got the magic mouse and it is just not working for me.

congrats Anna!~
    I know how you feel. My laptop died and I am using my dh's mac -- he wants me to convert to a mac and I am finding the little things the hardest to deal with -- like the transparent background for your workspace...ugggh

good luck!

Well, Anna, congrats! You will grow to love it. As for the mouse, I don't actually like the magic mouse and have bought a third-party mouse I prefer. As for your workspace in CS5, I assume it's like CS4, so take the advice with that caveat. You can set up whatever workspace you like to use (I like the transparent one, so I can quickly switch to the Finder or whatever just by clicking with the mouse) and save the workspace as a default. So set up whatever panels you want showing, the toolbar, and the settings (like Full Screen with Menu Bar--from the View Menu) then save your workspace (Window menu--Workspace--Save) and use your name or something like that. There are some default workspaces available that you can check out (also under the Window menu) to see what works for you.

But, the thing you and Liz are wanting--a gray background--is what you get from setting up the Full Screen with Menu Bar from the View Menu.

Congrats Anna - it wont' be long and you'll be loving it.

OK, I'll vent here so Neal won't know it's driving me crazy!! I've wanted to switch out for awhile and now, I want to go back to my familiar pc. SHORTCUTS!!! like cut and paste....what keys? selecting more than one picture..got that one but can't figure out how to click on the first picture and the last one and get all in between!!

I love my mac, I love my mack, I love my mac....maybe soon I'll believe it.

OK, next question...
    When I look at my files to open papers or elements, on my pc the files have a little picture on the cover so that you can see a preview of what is in the folder. Is there any way to do that on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by agarzaldynrd View Post
    OK, I'll vent here so Neal won't know it's driving me crazy!! I've wanted to switch out for awhile and now, I want to go back to my familiar pc. SHORTCUTS!!! like cut and paste....what keys? selecting more than one picture..got that one but can't figure out how to click on the first picture and the last one and get all in between!!

Hi Anna!
    So excited for you!! Once you get used to it, you'll LOVE it!!
    Here are some shortcuts for you:
    cut: command x
    copy: command c
    paste: command v

Oh, and to select all of the files inbetween, don't press the shift key.
    Use your mouse kindof like you would to crop something.
    left click in a corner ( next to the file, in the white space ) and
    drag your mouse over the files you want. It selects everything in the box you just made.
    The box will disappear when you release the mouse, but the files stay selected!

Anna, if you want the folder to show a preview, double-click on the preview jpg and it'll probably open in preview, then select all (Command-A) and copy (Command-C). Close that file and go back to the finder. Highlight the folder and get info (Command-i) then click on the little folder at the top left of the info box and paste (Command-V).

One of the very best things about Macs is that virtually all of the most-used shortcuts are universal through all the major applications, such as the ones I used above, and the quit (Command-Q) command, close window (Command-W), save (Command-S). If only Photoshop and Illustrator used some of the same shortcuts for their commands, life would be close to perfect!!

OK, next question...
    When I look at my files to open papers or elements, on my pc the files have a little picture on the cover so that you can see a preview of what is in the folder. Is there any way to do that on a Mac?
    I actually haven't tried to figure this one out yet, but here's what I have been doing...
    I have found it easier and faster to find what I need in Finder, having the preview at the top set to the columns. And since it doesn't have that preview picture ( unless you are in iphoto ) go into the file and click on a picture and hit the spacebar. A quick preview pops right up! Or you can right-click it and choose quick look.
    I'm now so used to hitting that spacebar that not having that preview no longer bugs me.