shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for the toddler stage of biting

Need advice for the toddler stage of biting

Ok, give us your advice on how to handle a toddler who is starting to bite. He got his first write-up at Day care yesterday because he bit a little girl on the fingers. Tonight he was just playing but bit me and then bit Mommy when she came to pick him up.
    Being Foster children, we are limited in what kind of punishment we can do.
    The Doctor advised to keep a peeled onion handy and stick that in his mouth when he does it. That seems a bit drastic to me!
    Any advice on what you do/did with your little ones during this stage????

It has been a longggggggg time since this Grandma has had to deal with these issues, lol.

This has worked with all of my kids and I have six. I learned the tactic from my mother who also had six kids...

The next time he bites, take your index finger and put it in his mouth and poke him behind his bottom teeth on his gums with your fingernail and tell him no biting. If you try it on yourself, there is a tender spot there that hurts a little when it is poked. You have to do it right as soon as they bite. I think the idea is that they learn that their teeth are causing discomfort to others. Again, make sure to tell them no biting when you try this.

I have very strong willed children and there is no amount of time out or taking privileges or toys away that worked to cure the biting but this did. I only had to do that a few times with my biters and they never bit again. It was an easy thing to do wherever we were too. I'm not sure what your limitations are for the foster kids so you'll have to take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post
    Ok, give us your advice on how to handle a toddler who is starting to bite. He got his first write-up at Day care yesterday because he bit a little girl on the fingers. Tonight he was just playing but bit me and then bit Mommy when she came to pick him up.
    Being Foster children, we are limited in what kind of punishment we can do.
    The Doctor advised to keep a peeled onion handy and stick that in his mouth when he does it. That seems a bit drastic to me!
    Any advice on what you do/did with your little ones during this stage????

It has been a longggggggg time since this Grandma has had to deal with these issues, lol.
    Last edited by Andrea; 04-06-2011 at 08:45 PM.

3. Oooh, Andrea! That's a great tip!

Thanks Andrea.....that is a great tip. Will let you know if it works on Noah!

oh no Cathy!
    the peeled onion was nicer than what my mother did to me...
    i bit my brother who is three years older than I am
    my mom saw me do it, and bit me back on the arm, not hard, but enough to give me the idea of what it was like
    but, I tell you, I never bit anyone again

I am so glad that when i threw one of those metal cookie cutters at his head another time, she didn't throw one back at me --- lol

I would try to work in a time out for something like that -- i think the rule of thumb is one minute/year of age, so it would be two minutes for him

You could try to find some books at the library on biting -- story books, that might be something he could relate too; maybe one of those baby books with faces / expressions so he could see the sad face/hurt face and the happy face...it could help promote at some level that he recognize different emotions.
    I think that things like biting and pinching with toddlers happens because they dont have the words yet to express their feelings or frustrations.

Did the daycare have any suggestions? Sometimes they have books there for the parents to check out.

wish I could be more help

ETA -- I love Andrea's method. That sure would be a deterrent
    my dd is also strong willed, but at two, she would at least sit on the stair, at four, she started to dictate where she was taking her time out!
    Last edited by elenasworld; 04-06-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Liz - I can relate to the strong willed. That is Noah thru and thru! Plus, he is going to be all Boy and have not a fear in the world. Last night he proceeded to climb on top of the stool and jump off when I was busy with Tiana. He liked to give Grandma a heart attack! LOL....he thought it was so funny though, and laughed!
    His newest thing to do (other than biting) is to do what my DD calls the Nestea Plunge! He stiffens his body and falls backwards and hits the floor, all the while laughing because he thinks its funny!
    We are so afraid he is going to hurt himself!
    We do have ourselves to blame for a lot of it, I have to admit! He is the only boy in the family, and at this stage of our lives, we didn't think there would be anymore grandchildren, so his Grandpa spoils him rotten! I have to be the disciplinarian when he is here, cause Grandpa sure won't!
    I just pray we make it thru the terrible 2's with him! LOL

I've had those strong-willed children, too, and a grandchild like that. All I can say is time changes everything. Next week it'll be some other little habit Noah will develop to try your patience. Lots of times that's the whole point, "Let's see how far I can go till Mom/Dad/Grandma/Grandpa gets mad." Just a little way for the kid to gain control and mastery over his environment. I wish you luck and patience.

LOL...Thanks Dona....the patience we all need.
    Yesterday my DD twisted her ankle and fell down a flight of stairs and is on crutches for 6 weeks. I can now see Noah trying to walk with Mom's crutches!

I understand the strong willed kids. My son has ODD and ADHD. He will push you to your limits just see how far he can push you. With my kids, I bit back, not enough to hurt them but to bring discomfort. It worked with my DD but not with my son, imagine that LOL! What I did and still do, I give him lemon juice. He stopped with the biting after a dose of that. He still gets lemon juice when he says words that he isn't supposed to ... poopy, butt, pee bug. It's alright to say that if it pertains to the bathroom. He will walk around saying it, just to get my attention ...grrrr.

Well....Lemon won't work here....he LOVES it! He grabs the lemon wedges out of glasses and chomps right down on them! He is going to be a tough one, I fear!