shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Photoshop tutorial question

Hybrid View

Photoshop tutorial question

I know I took a class where you take a picture, turn it into black and white, then use the eraser tool to have selected parts of the color show while the rest of the pic stays black and white. What class was that? I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by agarzaldynrd View Post
    I know I took a class where you take a picture, turn it into black and white, then use the eraser tool to have selected parts of the color show while the rest of the pic stays black and white. What class was that? I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
    I'll have to dig through to figure out which class, but here's how I do it:

Bring your photo into PS.
    Duplicate it.
    Modify the top layer to B&W (Images=>Adjustments=>B&W
    (to be safe, I usually duplicate this again and then hide the layer, just in case I screw up)
    With your black and white layer selected in the layers palette ... start erasing the part you want to be in color.

Hope this helps ... I'll try to figure out which lesson it is real quick ...

Lisa, thanks!! I did that but it would not work....then I changed the colors on the side and put white on top....that worked and when I wanted to undo something, I changed the top color to black. I dug through my stuff and just couldn't find it!! I think my pics came out ok. Here is a link to my blog...
    http://www.amgstories.blogspot.com/
    I just started this and don't know what direction I'll take with it but for now, just posting layouts and pictures.

Tell me what you think....I haven't really shared it with anyone except for Neal and Tronesia who helped me with a few questions.

Anna - I think Lisa meant the layer that the BW photo was on. I had a look at it on your blog and it looks wonderful!

Anna, It was Photoshop Advanced#3, lesson 4a. I keep a text file of all the lesson topics, so I can quickly go to that to see where I learned something. Andrea's method in this lesson is a little different from the technique Lisa mentioned. Always different ways to accomplish something in PS.

BTW, great blog! It's a super way to share the LOs you're doing with family, etc. Link it up to your FB page, too.
    I've got a new blog, too: This 'n' That by Donakat

Great job on the selective coloring Anna, and love the blog. Are you a Grandma yet? Saw your post on FB earlier. Good luck to all of you.