shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boy Things!

traci - what happened to those colors - or was I seeing things?

We do not stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing.

You weren't seeing things ... they were just VERY much like the colors that are in Amy's new kit that I didn't see!!!
    *must confess to not going and looking in the store*
    So ... I took them down I'm just a goof!
    ~Traci~

3. Shame on you!

Shame, shame Traci!!! LOL, you must go take a look at my Boys Are....kit. I love those colors together!
    AmyLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by amyleigh1204 View Post
    Shame, shame Traci!!! LOL, you must go take a look at my Boys Are....kit. I love those colors together!
    Bad me, BAD BAD BAD me!! I DID go and look, and it's PRECIOUS!!!
    ~Traci~

Quote Originally Posted by amyleigh1204 View Post
    Thanks Jessica and helen for listing all of the great boy themed kits and including my Boys Are.... kit. You know, Boys Are.... everything to me since I am the lone girl at my house. I plan on making some more boy stuff. Does anyone have any particular colors in mind? By the way, I think the grunged up stuff is great for boys!
    Some grunge is OK, but kids love the bright primary colors much more, and I make albums about a two-year old. Even a lot of boys clothing is bright and has cute animal designs on it. He loves his album pages, especially if they are bright colored ones. I love little red wagons, toy trains, train tracks, school buses and emergency vehicles; denim, and lots and lots of plaids and stripes! Toys like cars and trucks, and stuffed animals......sports things like baseballs, bats and gloves, and basketballs....sneakers....dirty socks....and yellow rain slickers. Red hoodie sweatshirts, and whistles and toy garden tools like lawnmowers, and red or yellow rubber boots. Fishing gear, and boats of all kinds. Bugs, fish. Pool toys and water guns. No ribbons or frills; no ruffles or flowers. No pastels past infancy. I do a lot of scraplifting from advertisements for these kinds of items. I just did one with a cutout of his night-time guardian - a big blue dinosaur. Album pages can be learning tools with bright alphabets and numbers, and becoming a poster for their room, too.

If anything, I've learned a lot about the male species in 64 years and what they like; at one time I had one DH, my father, my brother and 3 sons under our roof. Then along came two more little boys. They all have had me sew for them, and I ask them what they'd like to have that cannot be bought, or how they'd change it to suit their needs. If the time is taken to ask them this question, you'd be amazed at what you'd hear. I make and send a card at least once a week to the 2 year old using items that little boys love as graphics. He does not save them, or allow them to be displayed. He carries them around every day until he wears them out.

I can't find many of these things in kits anywhere, so I often make my own, but the scrapping process could be speeded up tremendously if they already existed. They can be large graphics or some made into charms.

To add to this, more pages for grown men, too! Most things are very female-oriented here. They're very nice, but the guys are really greatly under-represented. Guys don't all like brown or grunge or gray, either. Khaki is a good staple. Go look in a guy's closet for inspiration. Look at the striped dress shirts and bold colors they're wearing. Look at their ties and their favorite things. Go look in the garage and his hobby area!

OK - I've gone on long enough. I won't be around much for a while. I was expecting my new hard drive to arrive this afternoon, but it didn't, so tomorrow is probably the day I start in on computer maintenance and upgrading.
    Last edited by bdjeepers; 05-16-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Proudly CT Scrapping for Helen!
    GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

A grandmother's place is at the computer or behind the camera!

[quote=Helen;20335]Besides stripes, solids, plaids, and stars, they should get trucks, cars, planes, tractors, zoo animals, rocks, sand, balls, sports....I know....how about some of our designers' stuff....like....

Alice has done some wonderful things for boys - like Daniel, and I love that one in particular. I may get it for winter, but I used her mini kit for for my bedtime page. Forever in blue jeans is wonderful, but it is full of beads and flowers and a doodly frame - very girly. The fish ones are also adorable, but it is too young for a rumble-tumble 2 year old or older boy. I've seen them all, and although they are extremely nice, they just don't fit many elements that I see in a little boy's real life. Soon enough will come Cub Scouts, Little League, and so forth. What about kid's music? I loved Andrea's kit, but it really isn't suitable for small children's musical things. School books and backpacks littered my kid's rooms. I think the Choo choo stickers are wonderful, and I may get those! Airplanes! Another thing that little boys love, but not cutsey things with smiling faces on them past two y. o. Some of us live in the deep south, and we don't have piney forests like the Pacific Northwest, so I can't go the lumberjack route. We have palm trees, and the ocean, and alligators; the sun and bright colorful days. No snow, thank goodness. Doing a family Christmas album without the tired (no, I didn't mean tried) and true winter stuff is a nightmare for us here in the south, where we celebrate with firecrackers!

I dunno - maybe I'm being too picky; I'm very frustrated since it often takes me days to make elements that don't exist in kits I see. I don't even upload a lot of it, because some of my things have been not just scraplifted, but taken by people who claimed them as their own. That happened too many times on another site, so I don't go there any more.

That's just how I see it.

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

I think you will all be thrilled with the projects I am working on.....I am doing a lot around what my 2 year old is in LOVE with......balls, trucks, dinos.....I have the next two days off from work; so I hope to finish up one if not two kits for Friday. And trust me, we LOVE bright colors!!

I will look forward to it! Thanks for listening!

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

9. WOW! Thank you very much. I too am blessed abundantly with sons & grandsons, always looking for boy stuff! Some of these I have, but never enough!
    Thank you!!

Here is Dinostar!
    Last edited by HollyS; 05-20-2007 at 05:55 PM.