shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Photo storage

Hybrid View

Photo storage

I'm considering getting some on-line storage for my pictures and layouts. Any thoughts on different storage sites? Pros and cons?? Thanks!

I keep bringing up online storage to my dh, and he is totally against it.
    But, after a hard drive crash, a computer virus, and some lost data, I really like the idea.
    I have heard of carbonite and mozy -- but other than that, I dont know much at all about how it works

After almost losing EVERYTHING on my hard drive, I opted to use Carbonite. I am very happy with it so far. For $55 for an entire YEAR, it automatically backs up all files of your choosing everytime your PC is connected to the internet. It took nearly a month for my first back up to complete, but it happens fairly quickly now. The first takes a while because you're starting from scratch, but once it's all done, Carbonite backs up the new/changed files each time the PC connects to the internet. It is all automatic and behind the scenes. You know a file is backed up because there is a little green dot next to it. I don't know anything about Mozy, but I have heard good things about it too. Bottom line ... I recommend doing something to keep your photo files safe.

I have an internal backup on my MAC but if you just wanted to store photos and layouts only, I use Photobucket. It's free, and they've just updated their sight, so if you can put up with ads, it's an okay off-site storage site for me.

I use Mozy to back up all of my Scrapbook files. Just like Lisa said with Carbonite, the first download takes a long time, but after that it is done quick and you don't even know it is happening.
    There are coupons out there online for both of these sites. I pay $4.95 a month for mine, but of course like everything if you pay for a year it is cheaper.
    Good luck, let us know what you find.

Someone recommended Shutterfly. Any thoughts on that? Also on Mozy and carbonite, what security measures do they take?