shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo storage

Photo storage

I'm considering getting some on-line storage for my pictures and layouts. Any thoughts on different storage sites? Pros and cons?? Thanks!

I keep bringing up online storage to my dh, and he is totally against it.
    But, after a hard drive crash, a computer virus, and some lost data, I really like the idea.
    I have heard of carbonite and mozy -- but other than that, I dont know much at all about how it works

After almost losing EVERYTHING on my hard drive, I opted to use Carbonite. I am very happy with it so far. For $55 for an entire YEAR, it automatically backs up all files of your choosing everytime your PC is connected to the internet. It took nearly a month for my first back up to complete, but it happens fairly quickly now. The first takes a while because you're starting from scratch, but once it's all done, Carbonite backs up the new/changed files each time the PC connects to the internet. It is all automatic and behind the scenes. You know a file is backed up because there is a little green dot next to it. I don't know anything about Mozy, but I have heard good things about it too. Bottom line ... I recommend doing something to keep your photo files safe.

I have an internal backup on my MAC but if you just wanted to store photos and layouts only, I use Photobucket. It's free, and they've just updated their sight, so if you can put up with ads, it's an okay off-site storage site for me.

I use Mozy to back up all of my Scrapbook files. Just like Lisa said with Carbonite, the first download takes a long time, but after that it is done quick and you don't even know it is happening.
    There are coupons out there online for both of these sites. I pay $4.95 a month for mine, but of course like everything if you pay for a year it is cheaper.
    Good luck, let us know what you find.

Someone recommended Shutterfly. Any thoughts on that? Also on Mozy and carbonite, what security measures do they take?

So I decided to go with Mozy and I'm doing the initial upload right now. I know this will take awhile but in the meantime, I have questions. All of my pics and los are on an external hard drive, so I should leave this at home tomorrow??? Also, I went to the settings to add files from the external hd but it only lets me check one file at a time. Is that right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you unplug your external hard drive, it will just pause any downloads you had set. When you plug it back in it should start backing up again. I have all my files on my external drive and that is what is backing up for me.
    I know they upgraded, and I have not gone into the new settings. I just put a check mark on everything I wanted backed up and it does it automatically now, but I am done with my initial backup.
    They are great at replying to you quickly with any questions, and they have a lot of answers on their website.

Good luck. I think you will be very happy with them. I have been. Did you find a coupon, I hope!

Kathy, do you have to have your external plugged in all the time when you go online? I you don't, does Mosey think you don't have those files anymore and get rid of them?? I have 4 externals! :) 2 500 gigs, one 1.5 T and one 2 T one. I don't have them plugged in in all the time--

I keep mine plugged in most of the time, but when I went to Ohio this fall for a month and came back, it backed up any files that had changed, so my answer is I believe it keeps the files until you decide you don't want those files. Check thier Q & A to make sure of that, but I know that is what happened with me.