shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Styles in PSE7

Using Styles in PSE7

Anyone know how to use styles in PSE?
    I use 7, but find that often instructions from 5, 6 or 8 work, so please chime in even if your version is different.

I have this month's collab kit A Mother's Worth which included Laitha's Glitter Styles, and I don't know how to install/use them. Anybody have any tips or links to tutorials?

I would also be interested in seeing your layouts where you've used a style (glitter, gel, etc.) and a note on how you incorporated it into your scrapping.

Thanks!

ReboScraps Blog

Creating for: Pixel Gypsy, Dysfunctional Designs, Krisi's Kreations

OK, I found a tutorial for this, so I'm posting it here in case anyone else needs it!

http://www.scrappersguide.com/tip_sg_08-10-13el.html

The forum at Scrapper's Guide ( http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums/ )
    has lots of useful tips and how-to's. I actually learned how to use PSE7 using this tutorial program, I just somehow never realized that there was an online forum with more tips!

I am still interested in your layouts and creative ways you've used styles...!

ReboScraps Blog

I used a glitter style on my Title for this layout. That is what I find I use most of my styles on is my titles and word art.

Even with instructions, I have never been able to get styles to work right in PSE7 ... (believe me ... the issue is ME and not PSE). Anyhoo ... the way I have used the glitter styles is like a clipping mask. Similar to Cathy ... I would type text using a font, simplify it, and then attach the glitter as a clipping mask. I have done this to shapes, too.

I'll take another whack at the installs using the tutorial link your provided, Rebecca. I'd love to be able to use these as intended!

That's a great link, Rebecca, that's the site that I used as a tut for how to install styles when I was searching for how to do it, although it was a different post. I always install styles when I get them but rarely use them, but when I do, it's almost always for text. My siggy was done using a glitter style for my name!

Quote Originally Posted by AZK View Post
    That's a great link, Rebecca, that's the site that I used as a tut for how to install styles when I was searching for how to do it, although it was a different post. I always install styles when I get them but rarely use them, but when I do, it's almost always for text. My siggy was done using a glitter style for my name!
    Follow up question for you, Angie...

Do you experience any slowing down of the program with multiple styles etc installed? I've heard that at some point, having a huge number of things installed can cause that, and I'm not sure I can handle PSE running any slower than it already does some days.

ReboScraps Blog

i have styles installed in my PSE7. i have 3 different DS styles but not too many glitter ones. i installed all of them & then realized that i never used them so i have them in a folder & if i ever want to use them, i'll just reinstall them. i haven't noticed them slowing PSE down though...maybe at the very beginning but it's not bad enough for me to notice them.

one thing that's really helped me with installation, is to keep a shortcut to 'my photo creations' folder (that's located in the PSE program files, i believe) & all the styles/photo effects are right there. then i copy & paste (so i never lose the originals) & then delete the thumbdatabase file. that will rebuild it your PSE database with the new additions included.

I have a bunch of styles installed in PSE7 and find that if I don't remember to change back to the Layer styles as my active when I am done using them, my PSE will not reload. I have to open in Guided edit and then go to full edit mode to open PSE. A real pain, but at least I have figured out how to get it to open.

Britanee----you lost me on your mini tut there. Can you explain more how you do your shortcut. Please??? LOL. Maybe my brain is not in gear this morning.

Rebecca, I don't seem to experience any particular slowdowns because of the styles. Without having PSE7 open right now, I'd say I have about 2 dozen (?) styles installed that were not default styles. Having said that, when I'm in PSE that's usually the only program I have open since I only have 1G of RAM (hard to believe, I know, but true), and I risk crashing if I run too many things.

Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post
    Britanee----you lost me on your mini tut there. Can you explain more how you do your shortcut. Please??? LOL. Maybe my brain is not in gear this morning.
    Make sure you can view all hidden folders (control panel->folder options->view->show hidden files & folders). Then follow this trail-
    Local Disk (C:)->All Users->Application Data->Adobe->Photoshop Elements->7.0->Photo Creations

in your photo creations folder, there's subfolders for your layer styles, filters, photo effects, etc. if you right click on photo creations, you can create a shortcut so then you're not hunting it down everytime you want to add new styles. did that make more sense Cathy?