shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: PAT files

PAT files

I just downloaded something from Mel's brushes and don't know where to load them. I thought they were brushes, checked actions, and styles but can't seem to load them. Where do I go???

2. What version are you running? I usually just drag mine into Cs4 and they load into your patterns menu. Then you can use the paint bucket set to pattern instead of color or add them using a new fill layer and select pattern instead of foreground color.
    Snag me ---->

I usually just go to the patterns from the drop down and then click the little arrow and a whole hidden list appears. I chose "load patterns" and (you will have a window to where you select the file) then it will appear in the patterns for you to use.

I haven't tried it with patterns, but for styles, all I have to do is double click on the file and it gets installed in my styles. I dont keep too many "loaded" since I seemed to crash when I had lots of brushes/fonts/styles loaded. Even though they aren't being used, the system is still drawing resources for them.

hope it works out for you.

I'm running CS4 and it's the "Patterns" that I can't find in the drop down menus. I normally do it the way you said Liz just can't find patterns.

oh
    Edit -- Preset Manager -- switch the drop down to Patterns -- Load

You have me on the lookout now Anna..I can't see anything about a toolbar for patterns on Adobe help site I saw something about a pattern plug-in that you can download...still looking...

Edit: Wow....why did they hide it like that?

My Blog || My Twitter

OK, done!!! Followed Liz's instructions but now trying to finish my ps class and can't find the pattern maker. What is it with pattern stuff. I tried going your way Tronesia but it did not work. Off to ask Andrea!!

8. are you trying to define a pattern? its under the Edit Menu.
    Snag me ---->

Anna,
    At least for the Mac, the patterns lie in their own "Patterns" folder inside the "Presets" folder, in the Adobe Photoshop CS4 folder. Not sure for the PC.

It should be in the same location for the PC, I just double-click on the pattern file and it loads, or I double click on the layer to bring up the layer styles, go to the pattern overlay and load or replace the patterns from there.