shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To save or not to save

To save or not to save

when we make lay outs,we save as
    1 .psd

2 .jpg

3 Save for web

When we have uploaded the lo do you keep all 3?

Mine are building up what do you do?

maggie

Maggie,
    I've always kept all 3 but I know how much room that takes up. I bought an external drive to store everything.

I generally keep the .psd's because I dont print right away.
    Once I print, then I move them to the EDH /backup DVD's to save space on my hard drive.
    I keep the web images until I back up

Andrea also suggests keeping your full size .jpg because over time you may not be able to read the .psd file . I know there was another thread somewhere where Andrea explained it. I will try to find it.

I know some people delete as soon as they print, and some even delete the photos as soon as they print, since they have the page and they scrapped those photos.

I have a delete phobia when it comes to my photos. I only delete the worst photos, like backs of heads, a person chopped in half, the dd running too fast and she is a big blur. I tend to take a lot of photos, but I also back them up to the EHD and a hard copy to DVD's. I am working on a second DVD back up too, to bring to my parents just in case. I have had several friends lose all their photos and have no backup, so I go a bit overboard with the backup.

Maggie, once you have uploaded your small jpg file to a gallery, you don't need that file anymore, and you can delete it. If you save the psd file you can always generate a new jpg file from it. So, you may want to have a backup of all your psd files (off the main computer) to make sure you always have access to the original.

I only keep the psd and the jpeg files. I never keep the "save for web" images. Don't need em once they are posted.

6. I need to go through and clean out my web sized images. I'm holding on to a few, because through my inability to save as I go I've lost a few final psds that I need to recreate so that I have printable layouts.
    Snag me ---->

I delete only the save for web copies. I keep the other 2 versions and I back them up in 2 different EHD (I'm paranoic, but I'm so afraid to loose my files). I would never ever delete the psd file because it happens often that I decide to change something even after my finished LO.

I don't save as a web page and once I know I like the LO as is, I only keep the jpg. I also back up everything. I have ALL of my pics in 1 place & then I have a copy in my "Scrapbooking" folder & delete them from there once I've used them that way I don't use them again.
    And of course, I back everything up every few months.

Well, Maggie, right now I'm with you--I save all 3 files. I just bought my first EHD for storage like Anna. If (who am I kidding-WHEN) that starts to fill up I'll have to reconsider. :)

Good time to stop and say....back up your files!! I know it takes forever, and that is why I haven't done mine in a few months, but I'm gonna do it right now!!!

BTW, Jeni..great siggie!!