shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrasing newbie question

Ohio - but ready to move to the desert or the Caribbean.

Embarrasing newbie question

Me again.... Here goes.....

I have watched the tutorials, I have saved my files, etc.... (of course having a hard time finding what I want) and now want to start pulling in a background paper to start scrapping.

Of course, I can't. Anytime I have tried to import a paper, there is nothing to get. I have downloaded a few free daily downloads and nothing seems to be correct. All I seem to get is a photo of the different papers available and not actual background paper.

I am so confused as how to go about getting anything from a file.

Do I need to go somewhere and get just background paper first?

I am using PSP.

Thanks for your help and I hope to be able to understand your suggestions.
    Nancy

Nancy,
    After downloading, you need to unzip the file (I'm assuming you've done that), and that generally gives you all that's in the download. If it's a minikit, it should have both papers (files with an extension of .jpg, usually) and elements (usually files with extension .png). You should be able to see these files in the folder that results from the unzipping. Go to explore and see if you see those files.

To open and use the various files, open your application (PSE??) and ask it to open the files in the particular place you've kept them. Open a new blank file of the size your layout should be (8x8 or 12x12, 300dpi, transparent background). Then drag over the background paper(s) and elements and photos you've opened up.

Hope this helps!

I have unzipped and it made a second folder with no zipper on it. Now, do I still need that folder with the zipper on it or can that be deleted?

I am thinking I don't have any folders with paper in them besides the welcome kit. So I guess I will have to practice with that.

Now, I read somewhere that there is a way to put a photo of the kit on the outside of the folder so you can see what is inside. Cuz, I definitely can not figure out what is in each folder and know that is where I want to get something.

Thanks for the help. This is definitely too confusing for me. At least in the beginning. LOL
    Nancy

Here is a tip I use for my kits! Each kit I download I create a new folder and name that folder with the kit name and designer so I can properly credit each designer for my pages. If you would like an image on that folder, right click on the folder and select properties, and customize. From there you should be able to choose a photo to add to the front of your folder.

I hoped that helped! Keep asking questions!!! That is the best way to learn!!! Are you still having problems making a page?

5. Don't worry it will get better.. I just started and really didn't have a clue on how to do anything. With help and encouragement from a lot of people I have figured it out. If I can do it I know you can. I signed up for the beginners photshop class and it has been a lifesaver. I would also recommend doing some of the challenges for practice (once you get the hang of it) I was told that by a friend and thought I wouldn't be able to do it ,but I was. good luck and hang in there
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by marshmella View Post
    Here is a tip I use for my kits! Each kit I download I create a new folder and name that folder with the kit name and designer so I can properly credit each designer for my pages. If you would like an image on that folder, right click on the folder and select properties, and customize. From there you should be able to choose a photo to add to the front of your folder.

I hoped that helped! Keep asking questions!!! That is the best way to learn!!! Are you still having problems making a page?
    I have been trying to get a photo on the folder and all I get after I click on properties is summary and general or summary and sharing. No customize anywhere.

Not sure if I will get any of this, if I can't even figure out how to get a graphic.
    Nancy

Once you Right click on Properties, Customize will be one of the tabs at the top. Click on it and then go to Choose File. This will take you to a Browse option where you can choose the file folder with your Image you are wanting. Choose the file and Open, then Apply & Save, and your Image will automatically be there.

Hope this isn't as clear as mud, lol.

Good luck, and btw...NO question is a stupid question when you are learning. We all were new at one time, and most of us, me included, are still learning!

8. Nancy, I loved Michaela's tip, and will have to try that one out, but what I usually do, is select the preview graphic that is in the kit folder, and rename it "folder." That helps me see what's inside, because it shows that preview on the folder. Does that make any sense? I have 6 screaming banshees circling, and I'm not sure I can even think straight, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by j_camargo6 View Post
    I have 6 screaming banshees circling, and I'm not sure I can even think straight, LOL.
    LMOA!!!

Anyway, I started digi scrapping almost 3 years ago and I did not know at first that I should be crediting the designers, so needless to say months later I had to go back through and figure out where they came from and credit all my pages. LOL!!! Most kits you download are not named with the designer name, such as mine, I name then md_kitname. So that is the first thing I do when I download a kit.

Good luck with your banshees!!!!!!

Nancy, I think most of your questions have been answered and I just want to put in my 2 cents....
    First, there are no embarrassing questions. About a year ago I had no clue how to make something even stay on a page!!!! I took my first class then and I am currently registered to take my 3rd class here next month.....so, ask away and take a class if you can.
    Second, back-up your files. I keep all my stuff on an external hard drive and I bought a 2nd one because although the materials around here are not expensive, I have lots of stuff. I also don't want to lose my pics or layouts so I back-up from time to time and certainly not as often as I should.

Enjoy, this is so much fun!!!