shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrasing newbie question

I agree with Anna ... no question is stupid! I have to say the folks here are just so nice and supportive ... I have only been digiscrapping since about April of last year (so not even a year yet). I remember when I first started, I did NOT have a clue! I had the hardest time understanding the layers in the Layers Palette. I still have tons to learn, and everytime someone asks a question here ... I learn from the answers (like Michaela's tip for saving the folder image - YAY! that will be so helpful!).

When you click FILE, and then OPEN to go grab a paper or an element, it might be best for now to set your FILE TYPE (located at the bottom of the pop up window) to ALL FORMATS. By doing that, you should be able to see all the files that are in your folder.

Good luck, and hang in there! You'll get it soon!

And I forgot to add that I agree completely with Chris ... participating in the challenges is a great way to learn and practice new skills. Hope to see you posting in the gallery soon!

Ohio - but ready to move to the desert or the Caribbean.
    Think I might be getting there. So far, I think the only background paper I have must be in the welcome kit. That is what I am practicing with right now.

Still no luck with the folders and a photo on the front. I have no customize option.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.
    Nancy

4. Nancy, have you signed up for the yahoo group? If you do that you'll get a free mini kit that has several papers/backgrounds in it that you can play with.
    Click on the "Yahoo Groups. Join Now" button up by the "Welcome (your name)" on the top right of the forum page.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmella View Post
    Here is a tip I use for my kits! Each kit I download I create a new folder and name that folder with the kit name and designer so I can properly credit each designer for my pages. If you would like an image on that folder, right click on the folder and select properties, and customize. From there you should be able to choose a photo to add to the front of your folder.

I hoped that helped! Keep asking questions!!! That is the best way to learn!!! Are you still having problems making a page?
    A couple of things on Michaela's tip:
    (1) In order to "see" the picture on the folder, you have to have a "VIEW" of the folders that will allow you to see it. For instance, if you have the VIEW set to "Details", you won't see the picture. If you have the VIEW set to something like LARGE ICONS, the folders will display with the picture.
    (2) Depending on your operating system, the folder will behave slightly differently as far as how the picture displays. WINDOWS7 displays with a folder that looks like it is half open, and open just enough to see the picture you set to display. XP actually shows the flat folder, like it would appear if it were laying on a desk, with the picture on the very front (I actually like this better, but I'm running WINDOWS7 on the PC I use to digiscrap).
    (3) To set this up, you right-click the folder that has your kit in it and select PROPERTIES from the menu that displays - my PROPERTIES is the last menu item in the list. A pop up window will display, and it will have several tabs across the top. Select the last tab, labeled, CUSTOMIZE. About halfway down that tab there is square labled FOLDER PICTURES ... click the CHOOSE FILE button and navigate to the folder that typically comes with the kit and select it and click the APPLY button at the bottom of the pop up window ... and you're done!

** Now, as long as you have your folders set to view as something like "LARGE ICONS" they will display with the selected picture on them.

I'll probably tackle this as I use a kit. It would be too much right now to try to get caught up. I was about to type that I have too many kits ... but we all know we NEVER have too many kits! LOL!

Thanks for the tip, Michaela! It'll help when I'm hunting for something specific rather than relying on my memory.

Ohio - but ready to move to the desert or the Caribbean.
    I DID IT! LOL

I made my first page. Took me forever and had a hard time with text for some reason. Hopefully, number 2 page will go quicker.

Not too clear on how to give credit to the designers when you post, so for now, I will just have to keep it to myself. I can't even tell you who the designer is because I don't know what the letters stand for. Obviously, does not spell out anything. I mostly used the welcome kit I received plus a few other graphics from someone else.

As for the folder situation, I still do not have the "customize" tab popping up. Only two tabs that read "general" and "summary". So, I don't know what to do about that.

Thank you all for the help. It really is overwhelming at first and you all are so helpful.

Happy scrapping!
    Nancy

That is soooo awesome, thanks for the tip!! I actually have a folder for kits & a folder for the previews & now I can combine them.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmella View Post
    Here is a tip I use for my kits! Each kit I download I create a new folder and name that folder with the kit name and designer so I can properly credit each designer for my pages. If you would like an image on that folder, right click on the folder and select properties, and customize. From there you should be able to choose a photo to add to the front of your folder.

I hoped that helped! Keep asking questions!!! That is the best way to learn!!! Are you still having problems making a page?

Quote Originally Posted by ATWIGO View Post
    I DID IT! LOL

I made my first page. Took me forever and had a hard time with text for some reason. Hopefully, number 2 page will go quicker.

Not too clear on how to give credit to the designers when you post, so for now, I will just have to keep it to myself. I can't even tell you who the designer is because I don't know what the letters stand for. Obviously, does not spell out anything. I mostly used the welcome kit I received plus a few other graphics from someone else.

As for the folder situation, I still do not have the "customize" tab popping up. Only two tabs that read "general" and "summary". So, I don't know what to do about that.

Thank you all for the help. It really is overwhelming at first and you all are so helpful.

Happy scrapping!
    Congrats on completing your first page! When you use a collab kit (like the welcome kit) where several designers contribute, you can just note the name of the kit you used. Don't feel like you have to list out every element/paper you used and attribute it to someone...just the kit name is fine :)

Way to hang in there and keep at it! Congrats!

I tend to just open up digi scrap supplies from within my scrapping software (ie. PSP or Photoshop Elements) using File > Open inside the software and browsing. That way you don't have to do the whole customize thing to have your operating system know what software to launch if you double-click an item. I also can just have my digiscrapping software open and drag .jpg or .png, etc onto my digiscrapping software window.
    Last edited by HollyS; 01-20-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

YAY!!! Congrats on your first page! When you upload your page to an online gallery there is an option for a description or photo details. That is were you would credit the designer.

You can always come back and we can help you upload too!!!

Digi scrapping does get easier! There is always something to learn. After 3 years I am still learning! But I love it and I am more addicted than ever!!