shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Hints on how to organize your folders ?

Hybrid View

Ohio - but ready to move to the desert or the Caribbean.

Question Tips and Hints on how to organize your folders ?

I am just starting to collect all the different kits, artwork, etc... and was wondering what the best way to organize them would be.

Any suggestions? How do you save and organize them?

Right now I am saving everything on a thumbdrive since my computer does go down every so often.

For folders, do you save under designer name? holiday? season? color?

Do you take apart the kit and save under ribbons, alpha, bows, etc...

Maybe I need more items to figure out what I need to do.
    Nancy

Hi Nancy, welcome to GDS! I am not the most organized person in the world, but I will tell you how I organize my digiscrap stuff.

I don't keep any of it on my computers, because I have 2 and use both of them for my scrapping. So I use my external hard drive (I use a Western Digital 160GB Passport ehd) to store all of my digi stash on and work between my 2 computers without having to find something.

On my ehd I have everything separated into folders. When I say 'everything' I mean that I will have a main folder for GDS PRODUCT, then underneath that I have subfolders by designer name with various embellies and pagekits stored underneath the main designer name. It's pretty easy to sort through the GDS products, the designers use a file naming convention that include their initials at the beginning of the name. I store the monthly collaboration kits under the GDS subfolder COLLAB.

If you choose to 'break apart' the kits, what is liable to happen is that you are going to lose your TOU'S (terms of use agreements) for the products. What that means is that you are going to find an item or use it, and then not know who to credit the design to because you broke apart the kit and the TOU for it was in the main folder you broke apart. It's really important to give credit to whosever designs you are using when you post your layouts to the gallery. This is a very sensitive issue in the digiscrap arena. The designers work hard and deserve the credit for their work. Make sure to keep the TOU'S for your scrap items intact with your product download folders so you don't have to backtrack and look for them. I learned this the hard way when I first started scrapping.

I just wanted to stress that one point so you don't lose your TOU'S. I know that some of the veteran scrappers on this site will be able to give you great storage tips or link you to a GDS forum thread that has already been discussed on this subject.

Most importantly, sit back and enjoy the ride! Digiscrapping is so much fun. I have been scrapping digitally for 3 or 4 years now. I am not a hybrid scrapper, I turned totally digital when I first discovered it. I am on the computer all the time so it just made sense for me to scrap digitally, and I totally love it.

There are also classes offered on this site, which I highly recommend if you need help with your digital scrap program (I use Photoshop, but they have classes for Paint Shop Pro and Illustrator). Alot of times they will have sales which could save you up to 50% off of the class price.

Ok, I know this was long winded, but I just wanted to give you a couple of tips. Again, welcome to GDS, we're glad to have you here!!

Best Regards,
    Tracy
    Last edited by southflascrapper; 01-15-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Great suggestions, Tracy! Here's an older thread with information on organization. And another one here. It's a popular topic, so you can search on "organization" and find others. To search the forums, go to "Search" in the green bar right above the thread path, midway down the page. Start doing some kind of organization now, before the stash gets out of hand!

Ohio - but ready to move to the desert or the Caribbean.
    Thanks for all the the help. I am totally clueless on everything. Guess that is what a newbie does/is.

I searched for threads, but came up empty, so the links will definitely help.

Just want to get started and I can't because my computer is getting fixed and I am currently using a netbook to get online. It has been a crazy start to digiscrapping since I initially wanted to start on Tuesday. Nothing has happened yet. LOL
    Nancy

I started out as a freebie hunter and had tons of stuff in one big folder. I too use the folder method of: store - designer - kit. I also make a contact sheet in PS for the entire kit and then sort those into a color category so that if I need a green something or a white something to finish a page or add that last touch it's simple to browse by color.

I checked before I posted this and I have 3 100 gig hard drives filled with just personal use kits:) I know I have some that I have never even used but I will get to them someday!

LOL Belinda, I am only up to 100GB, and I thought I was the queen of freebie hunting. You are the true QUEEN of digistash if you have 3 100 gig hard drives. I like the idea of contact sheets, I don't even know what I have most of the time. Thanks for the suggestion! It will make it easier for me to find my stuff.

And also, thanks for making me crack up today!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by dylabel View Post
    I started out as a freebie hunter and had tons of stuff in one big folder. I too use the folder method of: store - designer - kit. I also make a contact sheet in PS for the entire kit and then sort those into a color category so that if I need a green something or a white something to finish a page or add that last touch it's simple to browse by color.

I checked before I posted this and I have 3 100 gig hard drives filled with just personal use kits:) I know I have some that I have never even used but I will get to them someday!
    Last edited by southflascrapper; 01-15-2010 at 01:31 PM.

i only use 1 computer that has everything on it. im saving up for an ehd soon so i can get all my "stuff" off the computer. i organize it all in my pictures. i have a folder for digiscrap and then a subfolder for every kit with the designers name. i also put the kit picture as the folder pic so i can see whats in every folder. for freebies and things like that i have additional subfolders-alphas, wordart, misc emb. stuff like that. it works well for my type of organizing. and it's all alphabetized which i'm soooo ocd about. whatever works for you though! good luck with it. it accumulates fast :)

8. If you have a program like Photoshop Bridge or ACDSee, I believe you can "tag" items (i.e. pink, ribbon, satin) so anytime you search anyone of those categories it would bring up the item. I've never gotten around to actually DOING it, but I hear it's possible, LOL. That would allow you to keep the kits intact and still find the elements you need.

Organization Methods

Quote Originally Posted by ATWIGO View Post
    I am just starting to collect all the different kits, artwork, etc... and was wondering what the best way to organize them would be.

Any suggestions? How do you save and organize them?

Right now I am saving everything on a thumbdrive since my computer does go down every so often.

For folders, do you save under designer name? holiday? season? color?

Do you take apart the kit and save under ribbons, alpha, bows, etc...

Maybe I need more items to figure out what I need to do.

For most truly creative people, I think organization is a stumbling block. Being able to "see" what you have actually helps the creative process, not just in digi-scrapping but in all crafts. Here's my own developed method of digi-scrap storage for store purchases, store freebies, and blog freebies:

I make folders for each store or each blog I keep up with and then subfolders, so it looks something like this:

GoDigitalScrapbooking (Main Folder)
    Alphas (subfolder)
    Desktops (subfolder)
    Elements (subfolder)
    Frames (subfolder)
    Kits (subfolder)
    Papers (subfolder)
    Photo Masks (subfolder)
    Purchases (subfolder containing all the folders you see again)
    Overlays (subfolder)
    Tools (subfolder - broken into more subfolders, Brushes, Shapes, Styles, Actions, etc.)
    Word Art (subfolder)

I have found this system is extensive, but it works well for me. I've collected supplies and purchases since August of 2008, and I'm well over a terabyte. I use one Western Digital 250 gig external drive, and two 500 gig HP pocket drives (which I can't say enough good things about). However, I do agree with someone else who posted here saying that all mechanical things go down eventually, so it's imperative that you still back everything up on media of your choice; disks, smart cards, flash drives, whatever. After all the time spent collecting and caring for files, nobody wants to risk losing any of them!!! It's all happened to us at some point, so take heed and back up everything often.

By the way, I don't break kits apart. They stay in their own folder under my "kits" folder, their folder is titled by the name of the kit, and I have the preview file showing on the folder so I can see what's inside the folder.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SunBum; 01-15-2010 at 10:45 PM.

10. Lots of great ideas and methods here!