shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Printing

Printing

I would like your opinion on printers, any suggestions?
    I might buy a new one.
    I have made a few books lately and had them printed,
    I would like to know, what kind of photo paper should i use if i wanted to print them myself, any hints or tips!
    Many thanks

maggie

I have generally used Epson printers. I like the quality I get.
    I print a few 4x6 photos and some hybrid stuff.
    Other than that, I will get bulk photos printed locally.
    When I have done larger projects, like invitations and announcements,
    I use ink and usually have to replace the cartridges. My current printer takes 5 different cartridges and wont print if one of them is out, even if I just want to print up some directions in black only.
    The cost of ink is something I would look in too also, when you are shopping for your printer. I had great plans to do lots of books and projects, but replacing the ink was getting too expensive. It is cheaper for me to go to Target and have holiday cards printed than to use my own printer and make some fun digi-style card.

I have to agree with Liz, I am an Epson girl too. I really like the quality of the prints I get from the Epson printers, but, you must use mostly Epson paper with the printers too. I have found using HP paper in an Epson changes the print quality. Although, I have had some off brand papers I found at a dollar store, and got good quality prints out of them.

I have printed some of my scrapbook pages 8x8 and liked how they came out. You can buy Epson paper that is for scrapbooks.

The main drawback though, is the price of Ink. Lately it seems as if the prices have gone up a lot, especially for the black inks.

Epson recently came out with a new printer that is low cost and supposed to be very good quality. Sorry, can't remember what the model was.

Good luck in your search. Definitley take into account the cost of ink when buying.

I use Epson also.

However, I use off brand printer cartridges bought from printpal or 123inkjets. I like buying a box of 5 cartridges of each of the 5 colors for $65 rather than paying $45 a cartridge.

Epson ink is fantastic and does last substanially longer. However, I find if I'm printing something I want to last it is a high quality photo and I have it printed at Mpix.

Scrapbook pages that get printed go in a plastic sleeve in a photo album and seem to be holding up well after 10 years.

Having said that...I tend not to print my pages now. I save a second copy as *.tiff in a screensaver folder and use that folder as my screen saver.

I hate how if one of the 5 cartridges is empty you can't print. I also hate how you have to remember to go back and go into advance settings to set the print to black and white only each time you send a job to the printer. The darling confirmation screen for my weekly unemployment is blue or cyan ink and I forget to change it so that cartridge is almost empty.

I am an Epson girl too and LOVE my printer!

I use own-brand inks which you prolly can't get over there, plus I can't remember what they are called, but they print as well as the Epson brand ones INHO.

As far as paper goes, I find that it makes a very big difference. I prefer to spend a bit more and buy Ilford Galerie classic pearl paper which is fantastic!

Of course, the other alternative is to get your LOs printed here through the stroe - the quality is amazing and the pricing is very competitive :)

I had an Epson when I moved to Australia.. then when I went to get a new printer.. the heads were part of the ink cartridges, which I didn't like. So I switched to Canon. I now have a CAnnon 4500i and LOVE it, however, with the quality of the printing that we now enjoy from Big W, Harvey Norman or K Mart - and even some of the camera shops, it's not worth printing your own pictures. It ends up costing more in ink than the prints would. An 8 x 10 here is about $3.59 and the colour is right on the money! I was very impressed when I got my pages printed. Hope that helps Maggie!

I've now started making all my pages 8x8 and am making books to order through snapfish since they now print 8x8 books which are less expensive than 12x12s and easier to keep. I don't print any of my work since I don't have a good printer so this info. is good in case I decide to buy a printer anytime soon.

Also, I just did a digi-scrapped Christmas card and ordered them through Walgreens. Sadly they only print out their formatted cards but I ordered one so I could see if I liked it, then placed a special order using the card I created for a set of 20 + envelopes. Prices are very reasonable but I had to do it in person and did not have the luxury of on-line ordering since I did not use one of their pre-designed formats.

Good Luck.

I use an HP Photosmart printer and love the way it prints but as others have said it's costly in the ink dept!! Mine takes 5 colored ones and one main black and I do have the luxury of still printing when one cartridge goes out but only for a few more copies. I hear Kodak has come out with a printer that is suppose to be easy on ink--remains to be seen if one prints alot. As for papers-it's different strokes for different folks in that area. I've been printing on presatation paper and like the way it looks but for LOs I would use something better. Good luck and have fun!!!

My DH bought me an all in one Kodak printer, he was sick of me complaing about the cost of ink. I love it and I find the prints are very good. The ink is very reasonable, it has 1 black cartdrige & 1 color cartridge. To replace them it costs me $25cdnfor both.For my needs it has done a great job, i print out 8x8's for family and they think the quality is very good. I usually buy kodak photo paper
    and I prefer matte over gloss.
    Chris