shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Gallery linking and keywords

Gallery linking and keywords

You may have wondered what the Moderators do at GDS, so I thought I'd let you know one of our functions and how it helps you and the site to work better: we fix the gallery descriptions you enter whenever there's a mistake or a misplacement of information in the fields. When the information is right, you can search for all the layouts made with a particular kit, or those which have particular keywords. And you can go directly to a kit in the store from the layout you're looking at. Makes things easy for you!

GDS has tutorials here on how to assign keywords, upload to the gallery, link your layouts in a thread. And chances are, one of the moderators has fixed your gallery descriptions with the appropriate keywords and store links recently. So go back and look at one of your recent layouts to see how it's done.

Also see this thread for important information about what goes in the "Credits" field. No links go there!

A final note, which is technical: you can't copy the store link from the truncated link shown in a gallery description unless you're editing the description. It'll come out something like this: http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...ucts _id=4768 when copied from the gallery description. That is a dead link, and the full link you need is: http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...oducts_id=4768. That is copied from the URL in the top line of your browser.

2. Great info, Dona! WOW, you Mods are busy!

Thank you to you Moderators, and sorry if you have ever had to fix mine! Great information for all of us to know and follow.

Here's a new hint, from a suggestion I found at another site, regarding how to get the correct information to put in your gallery descriptions:

When you purchase a kit and unzip it, there's some kind of TOU (Terms of Use) from the designer. Open that (it's usually a text document), and add a few lines to the top of the file that include the store link to that item and the product code (found on the store page, under "Tech Info"). You could also include the store from which you purchased the kit to help you sort it to the right folder, according to your own organization scheme.

When you do this, then you can simply open the TOU document and have all the information at your fingertips for when you post your layout in the gallery. And don't forget the tutorials on this site which guide you in posting and linking!

that is a great tip Dona!
    I would never have thought of putting the info in the TOU file
    Sometimes I dont remember where I picked something up, or
    I am trying to figure out the designer's store name (sometimes the name in the TOU is only showing the person's real name)

Thanks, I've been wondering how to use the keywords. I never thought of reading/viewing the tutorials.

I have noticed some people have linked text instead of the URL when linking to the GDS store, it sure looks better, how do you do that?

Lisa,
    The way you make linked text is this:
    Write what you want in your description, such as (no quotes necessary) "HollyAnn's Dreaming in Color kit".
    At the beginning, add this, but replace {} with [ ]
    {url=http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&products_id= 4682}
    At the end of the words, put [/url]
    Follow this procedure for the particular kit you used:
    {url=*}Name of Kit[/url] where * means the store link.

So, finally the whole thing you place in the GDS store items field is this:
    {url=http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&products_id= 4682}HollyAnn's Dreaming in Color kit[/url]. That becomes a good link.

One thing to note is that the GDS field is only long enough to accomodate two plain URLs or one fancy one like we just did. You can put multiple fancy links into the Photo description field when you need to cite three or more URLs (those progressive challenges and speed scraps often require a number of different kits).
    Last edited by mosser77; 10-26-2009 at 06:14 PM.

I have always wondered how to do this too. Thanks Dona. Will have to give it a try. Thanks.

Thanks for that info Dona... I really wasn't sure before what was supposed to go into the *keyword* section..and I didn't know it was the url that was required in the GDS products part... now I know.. Good tip about pasting that info into the kit's TOU...Thanks !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've always wondered how to do this....I hope I understood what I just read (lol), I'll try it next time :-) thank you so much for this info!
    Ayenn