shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Party Decoration Help

Party Decoration Help

We are having a party for my Mom's 90th birthday. We need some help with some cute ideas for party decorations. Mom is a fantastic seamtress and loves to quilt. We have thought about doing spools of thread for the tables possibly wrapped thru a tape measure like the front of the invitations. Then also use buttons scattered on the tables.

Would love to hear any of your ideas for things we can do to make this a super special day for Mom.

2. Those are so CUTE, Cathy! Congrats to your Mom!!! I think the scattered buttons sound cute....don't have any ideas yet, though...I'll have to think about it!

Love your invitations Cathy!
    I love buttons

are you looking for favors? or centerpiece kind of ideas?
    a fun table decoration might be jars full of buttons
    i have several decorative jars filled to the brim with vintage and not so vintage buttons. If you really wanted to use them on the table, you could use some styrofoam (or florists foam) in the middle, then the beads or buttons areound that -- to make it look filled, but not really.

you could make some quick and easy sachets with 6" squares of fabric, pinking around the edges -- does your mom embroider? you could have monogrammed napkins with your mom's initial, that could be a sewing touch

have you ever seen those little dolls that are put together with some string, spools and buttons? the spools are the body and then the legs are made of buttons.

an amish quote I have always loved is:
    what is stitched with love will never tear
    you could somehow use this with little needle&thread kits for favors

i will have to think some more too

I thought of a few other things (walking the dogs, looking for the meteor showers does wonders)

do you sew?
    when I quilted I would often use "strip piecing"
    for a fun table runner or garland or something along that line you could cut your squares of fabric either out of your mom's leftovers (she would recognize them) or some colors she loves.
    then sew diagonally through one square at a time without cutting the thread.
    that way you would have as many little squares all sewn together on a strip like a banner.
    You could use this going down the middle of the tables for a fun little runner, or if you are going to be haning any garland, use this instead.

For a keepsake for your mom, you could cut squares of off white / white fabric or shades of line (use cotton) and then ask the guests to either sign their name on a square, or write some funny, sweet, special memory of your mom. Afterwards you would collect the squares and maybe make a throw sized quilt. You can use strips of fabric your mom likes in between and just have simple blocks. Use fabric markers -- you can get fine point fabric pens in the sewing section (sharpies might run, you would have to pre-test those)

or if your family has it together, you could ask the family to do the same, before the big party, and present it to your mom at the party. (my family could not do this, even with lots of prodding)

Little ones could do their hand prints on the blocks of fabric
    you can make any acrylic paint a fabric paint by adding a something (i cant think the name of it even though i use it all the time -- textile medium!~)
    have the little ones rub dish detergent into their hands and wait a minute or two before rolling paint on their hands -- this helps the paint to wash off very easily)

okay, those are my ideas

Liz- you are awesome. I love the idea of the Muslim squares of fabric to have guests sign their names and put a memory on. What a fantastic idea. I also like the idea of the jars filled with buttons, and the table runner. I do sew, just nothing like my Mom.

Hope you saw some of the meteor showers on your walk. Keep the idea coming, I am loving them!

A cute possibility for place cards: a little pincushion made with a circle of fabric covering a wad of cotton and stuffed & glued into a communion cup (plastic 1-ounce cups available I think at party stores) with a name tag pinned on or stabbed on . If you use one of the long quilting pins you could go through the name tag and stab into the pincushion so the name tag is like a flag sticking up.

A centerpiece could be made of fabric flowers on "stems" of knitting needles stuck into craft foam in a vase. The flowers could be made in a variety of ways: ribbon roses, fabric glued to wire frames and bent (I used to do those in the 70s!), or the puckered gingham sort of flowers.

Have fun planning this! I am sure your Mother will be thrilled with whatever you do.

How ironic! I just read a blog post on a crafty website about this very party theme! She made the cutest little pin cushions as party favors. Looks like she's posting again today with more details, but you can see the post here:
    http://www.twigandthistle.com/blog/2...irthday-party/

Quote Originally Posted by mosser77 View Post
    How ironic! I just read a blog post on a crafty website about this very party theme! She made the cutest little pin cushions as party favors. Looks like she's posting again today with more details, but you can see the post here:
    http://www.twigandthistle.com/blog/2...irthday-party/
    Awesome thanks. Loving all the wonderful ideas ladies. Thanks so much and keep the great ideas coming!

i really want those pincushions! and what cool place cards!
    you can always dress up the little store bought candies too with little candy wraps made out of your digi-stash.

one valentine's day, I made dh a box of chocolates (i used the hershey's nugget sized ones) with little candy wraps. They were super easy to measure and then cut (with a ROTARTY cutter :) and then just a bit of double stick tape to fasten. I did a little cirlce in the middle of some and spelled out something like I love you and then the plain ones were just all coordinating colors. I know it isn't sewing, but could be cute and easy candy favors at each place setting -- you could have the letters of your mom's name in each favor

Liz, I did that exact thing as favors for our wedding...except I'm pretty sure I didn't have a rotary cutter!!