shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .asl files won't open

1. .asl files won't open

I can't get my .asl files from the collaborations to open.
    I'm using Corel PSP X, so that might be one problem so I downloaded a freetrial of Adobe Photoshop and ended up with some crazy photo storing program.
    Then I downloaded Gimp, which said was a freeware Adobe "look-a-like".
    I read my PSP manual from cover to cover.
    I tried to open the files in Adobe Reader.
    aaaaaarrrrrrgh.
    I'm like that poor man asking for directions now.
    Can someone please help me?
    Thanks,
    Sallye

All I know is that asl files are photoshop style files so I doubt that they will open in PSP.

Sorry to not be any more help that that.

I don't know if this will help. I had a problem opening a file from an other program once and I ended up having to import the file and resaving it with a psp file.. At least you could try this. Rose

You might want to look at some PSP tutorials. There's a User Group for PSP here. For free stuff to go with PSP look here.

To download a free trial of Adobe Photoshop Elements, go here and register (free) with Adobe. You will then be allowed to download the demo.
    Dona

5. Thanks

Thanks everyone. It's so confusing with the names being Photoshop and PSP which is also called photoshop. I guess it's the second P that makes the difference. I'll have to watch for that.

Thanks for the links. That should help out a lot.
    I think that importing might work. I've never done that, but I can try that.

If it doesn't work, I might go out on a limb and ask the designer to help me.

Thank you everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.

~Sallye~
    Last edited by Sallye; 07-28-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: :wavey:

6. Hope you have gotten the answers you are looking for! I've always heard PSP discussed as Paint Shop Pro. Did Corel change the name?
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

.asl files are layer "styles"
    In order to use styles in Photoshop, you would need to "load" them first
    (while in Photoshop, under "windows" you will see "styles", select that so that you will have access to the window)

from the "styles" window, you will see a little arrow to the right at the top, click or right click this, I can't remember, and you will see a drop down menu appear.
    "load styles" is one of them

Once you select this, you will need to locate where on your computer you have saved that particular .asl file, and select it

Once you have done this, your style should be showing up in the "styles" window that you have opened.
    It is now ready to use, just select an element you want to apply it to, and then click on that style

hope this helps

PSP = PaintShop Pro ( JASC first, then Corel), it has never been called PhotoShop nor PhotoShop Elements ( Adobe). I started with PSP-2 (before Adobe even existed), and worked my way up to PSP_X2...
    Liz / Calgary

9. Thanks

Thanks for all the help.
    I downloaded the free trial Adobe so that I could at least get my files open.

I think that is why I was getting confused. I have PSP X and sometimes I would call it Photoshop on some of the other web sites. Then I found out there was an Adobe Photoshop as well as a Corel Photoshop. I thought that the two might work interchangably, but apparently not.

I'm gonna try to use those instructions to open the files I've got and then stay away from the .asl files.

I tried to open them last night, but couldn't get the special files (.asl or .atn) to open. I'll let you all know how it turned out.

Thanks again for the help. ~Sallye~

Good Luck Sallye

the .atn files are "actions"
    they also work with Photoshop and you would load them the same way, except open up the "actions" window instead of the styles

layer styles and actions can get so addicting!