shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: PSE - Is there a guide line feature?

1. PSE - Is there a guide line feature?

I can't seem to find a way to set guide lines on my page. I have used these in other desk top publishing programs and got so I depended on this feature. Now I can't find a way to set them in PSE.
    Thanks for your help!

Not sure exactly what you mean, but there is the Rulers & Grid option under the View tab at the top. I use PSE 7.

I think it works like in Photoshop. Turn the rulers ON, then you can simply click and drag out a line from either the horizontal or vertical rulers to anyplace on the page.

4. Guide Lines

I am sorry I should have described what I meant. . . They are just like a grid only you can set one or several blue lines at a time. You can move them or remove them when they are not needed.

It seems so BUSY when using the grid feature.

5. Guide lines

In other programs I have used it works by holding the shift key and dragging them out from the ruler, but I haven't found the secret yet in PSE.

I use pse 7 and I've never used a feature like that. Sounds useful though.

OK, I tried what Dona said, and could draw out a box but the minute you release the mouse it goes away.

If anyone has any neat trick for this in PSE please let us know. This would be soooo helpful when placing alphas, etc.

See the manual, pages 142-143 (regarding the Ruler and grid), for Elements, available here:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photosho...s_7.0_help.pdf

Also, here's a couple of answers I found in a help forum. Hope something works for you.
    Dona

I'm trying to draw guidelines using the ruler in Photoshop Elements 3 on a Mac. Unfortunately they won't show up and I have no idea what else to do.
    Make sure you've got 'Extra's turned on. In Photoshop, you need 'Extras' to be checked off in the 'View' menu. Also, make sure guides are turned on in the 'Show' item in the 'View' menu.

and...

Can we create guidelines by dragging them from the ruler in Elements? I am working through a tutorial on myjanee.com that is supposed to work in Elements, but I cannot drag a guideline from the ruler like she says we can. I assume you just point to the ruler, hold down the mouse and drag it where you want.
    Chuck is correct that is a PS7 feature, but you can create custom grids in Elements by setting the spacing between gridlines in preferences, and you can also draw lines on a separate layer and then discard that layer or turn visibilty off before printing.

Thank Dona. Changing the gridlines values will help a lot. Guess I need to really read the whole manual. LOL. I saved it for future references!