shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: can I delete the background of the clipart?

1. can I delete the background of the clipart?

I download the flower picture from web. I use it to do my scrapbook .Open it by photoshop and photoscape. I drag the flower pictue to patch on my page and only flower ( not the white background) come. But when i try to drag it over the page to do my photobook ( use myphotobook programe from photobook shop) the flower come with the white background ( not tranparency background). Why it occur? Can i do something to get the flower with tranparency background(not white background)? I try to ask the photobookshop programmer but he can't correct it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb_wearefamily_addon_flowerdoodlestkr (Small).jpg  

If the image you are working with is a .jpg file, there will be a white background showing where you would see transparency on the web.

If you are using Photoshop, you can use a number of methods to remove portions of the image you dont want.
    You will need to drag this image into a new document that has a "transparent background" and then chose your method of extracting/selecting.
    I use the magic wand tool.
    You would click the magic wand tool in the area you want to remove -- in this case the white area. You might have to adjust the tolerance levels of the magic wand tool if too much or too little is being selected.

In general, once you have the portion you want removed selected, delete it.

If you are using this image for anything other than person use, you would also need to check the terms of use/copyright associated with the image to be sure you are not in violation of the creators terms

If you are using Photoshop CS3 or newer, you can go into the layer blending options (select the layer and click on the fx and choose "Blending Options" ). Once you have that open, look for the "Blend if" feature at the bottom. Find the "This layer" slider. Move the right (white) slider towards the middle until the white disappears.
    Last edited by Andrea; 07-18-2009 at 12:44 AM.