shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Color Chart Help Please

1. Color Chart Help Please

I thought this might be the perfect place to ask another question I need help with. How do you know what colors will print vs what is on the screen? I am familiar with CMYK PMS etc. but is there a way to print out theses colors on the printer to refer to for LO's? I just realized that I have been happily DSing my pages but going off the screen colors and all of mine will be printed out- this could be a small disaster. Is there a way to know the general color# in designers kits? How do all of you non newbie DSers deal with this issue? I'm sorry for the long question but I wanted to do the Pick Your Pallet challenge but I am missing this information. I appreciate any advice anyone could give. Thanks!

Hopefully someone will come along that can give you the answer you need.

I print out my pages, and have not seen any variations of the colors. But then, there are so many variables, like how many colors does your printer have, etc. My guess is the more color cartridges your printer has, the truer the colors will be when printing.

Come on girls, chime in and give some help here.

There's ALWAYS going to be some variation between what you see on your screen (varies from one to another, also), and what you can print on an inkjet printer, and what comes out of a commercial press. This is because the screen/monitor uses light to come up with colors, the inkjet uses ink, color laser printers use toner, and commercial printers use CMYK and spot color inks. And what you can see with your eyes has an effect as well on what color will look like. Unless you want to go the very expensive way in calibrating your color (electronic devices used by high-end graphics professionals), the best way is to experiment a bit. Print out one layout that has a lot of different colors and compare it to the version you see onscreen. Check for the color clarity as well as the overall brightness, contrast and sharpness, and the saturation of the colors. That should give you a place to start from in any changes you need to make. It may be that you need to brighten up your layouts a bit to compensate for a printer that gives you dark or muddy colors, for example.

Also, you can ask your printer (wherever you have prints made) what settings they recommend for their particular printer (they may give you a printer description file to use when you do your page setup). When you're printing to your own printer you use the same sort of file specific to that printer. These printer description files are all available online for free to download from the printer manufacturer's website.

Dona

4. Thank you for the tips. I was going to do the pick your pallet challenge and noticed everybody seem to list there colors with colorchart numbers so I thought that I also needed to know these #. I asked the question in that forum but haven't recieved any answers yet. I will deffinatly try your tips! If you know the anwswer to color codes are required for the pick your pallet challenge I would love to know, Thanks!!
    AMBER

I don't know if they are required, but it is easy to figure out the codes. In PSE whenever you open the box to select a foreground color, it lists the # there. I actually just use this method to pick my pallette for the challenge. I open my photo and place it in a new document and then use the eye dropper to click on a color in the picture and then you have your color # right there.

I am sure others have lots of ways of doing it too, but that is what I have found easiest for me.

I never thought about this before I made and printed a photo book. My colors in the book were so off (super saturated) from what I saw on my screen. I was glad I used a coupon and only printed one book.

After that, I got some software to calibrate my monitor. This helped immensely! Every few months, I attach the calibrator to my screen (plugs into the mouse port) and go through the steps. It is also amazing to see the huge difference between my laptop screen and my desktop -- it would never have ocurred to me if I hadn't printed some pages.

ETA -- so now I calibrate both screens at the same time. there were times I thought I was losing my mind. a paper would look cream on one screen, and then I would be viewing my uploaded pages on the other and it would look almost green!~
    Last edited by elenasworld; 07-11-2009 at 02:20 PM.

That's right, Liz, the desktop and laptop screens may be quite different technology, so look different to the eye, and everything needs to be calibrated if you want very particular results.

so far I've been lucky and have not had too much problem with printing.. I set photoshop to manage colours and set the printer to manual colour management. I really should get the monitor calibrated though..

9. I never new one should have to calibrate a computer screen. I will look into this being I usually work off my laptop but are logged into my desktop. I unfortunatly don't have Photoshop. Being that so many here use it it would make my life easier but I have Photo Impact Pro X3. It is a great program but I don't know it well yet and I don't think it lists color#'s in the pallette area at least not so far. Thanks again for everybodys help!! As a newbie I truly appreciate the support. Thanks Again!!
    AMBER