shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What You Need To Get Started In Digital Scrapbooking

1. Hi everyone! I am a newbie here!!! I am going to start using Photoshop Elements - I am going to do the free trial to see if I like it. I LOVE LOVE what I have seen so far in digiscrapping and can't wait to get started. I have a lot of free time at work but I am very frustrated because I work in the financial industry and there are very tight restrictions as far as websites you can access, etc...so I can't put any software on my work computer...errrrr....so, I will have to wait until I get home and open my welcome kit and get started!!!!

I am a little overwhelmed, it seems like there is just soooo much out there for digiscrapping!!!!!!!

Welcome, Sally!
    I'm sure you will love working with the GDS welcome kit, and if you're online each day you can pick up extra freebies from the Daily Download. They are always great additions to your stash. And, if you join particular challenges you may get other freebies to use in the challenge, or at least a posting bonus. The owners and designers here are very generous and friendly, so all of us reap the benefits AND get to have FUN! I look forward to seeing your layouts in the gallery.
    Dona

Quote Originally Posted by SallyW View Post
    Hi everyone! I am a newbie here!!! I am going to start using Photoshop Elements - I am going to do the free trial to see if I like it. I LOVE LOVE what I have seen so far in digiscrapping and can't wait to get started. I have a lot of free time at work but I am very frustrated because I work in the financial industry and there are very tight restrictions as far as websites you can access, etc...so I can't put any software on my work computer...errrrr....so, I will have to wait until I get home and open my welcome kit and get started!!!!

I am a little overwhelmed, it seems like there is just soooo much out there for digiscrapping!!!!!!!

3. Question: I am new to digital scrapbooking and trying to learn. Instead of just jumping in I am reading as much as I can. After I open a template, paper, etc. should I duplicate it to use in a layout or just use it?
    Thanks for any help

What I do is start a new layout the size I want, with transparent background, at 300dpi. Then I open whatever papers, elements, and photos I wish to include, and drag them onto the layout (each comes in on its own new layer). That way you never run the risk of messing up the original files of papers or elements or photos. After dragging them into your layout, you can edit them if you need to change colors, size, sharpen or change mode on photos, etc.

When you're using a template, you can just open that up and immediately save it under a new name, or use the Duplicate Image command. Then you can drag in your individual elements and papers according to the template arrangement.

Great tactic to read up and use the tutorials and "For Beginners" sections (under Resources on the top menu) of the website. There's a lot there to get you going. If you need extra help, Andrea Gold teaches great classes for Photoshop and Elements, and Illustrator. Daphne Whitley has great classes for PaintShopPro and Photography. And, you can always ask questions on the forum and someone will be happy to help you out.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with--don't forget to post your layout to the Gallery!

Dona

Quote Originally Posted by susiegirl View Post
    Question: I am new to digital scrapbooking and trying to learn. Instead of just jumping in I am reading as much as I can. After I open a template, paper, etc. should I duplicate it to use in a layout or just use it?
    Thanks for any help

5. Quote Originally Posted by donakat View Post
    Welcome, Sally!
    I'm sure you will love working with the GDS welcome kit, and if you're online each day you can pick up extra freebies from the Daily Download. They are always great additions to your stash. And, if you join particular challenges you may get other freebies to use in the challenge, or at least a posting bonus. The owners and designers here are very generous and friendly, so all of us reap the benefits AND get to have FUN! I look forward to seeing your layouts in the gallery.
    Dona
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome Dona! I look forward to really getting into this!! I am so excited!

6. new here!! got my welcome kit and it's adorable thank you so much to whoever sends them

i have paint shop pro but kinda unsure of how to use it for scrapbooking, like if i want to resize it to print or anything

7. Wow... who knew?

I must be getting old or something... I had NO IDEA such a thing existed. I must have been under a rock... eager to learn more... I just didn't want to buy soooo many scrapbooking items but wanted nice pages for my daughters... surely this has to be quicker and more cost effective?? Off to look at EVERYTHING!

We just announced this week something just up your alley!

It's the perfect gift for all of your friends and family who always wanted to know, "how do you do that?"

Introducing the GDS Beginner Gift Pack!

Our Beginner Gift Pack contains everything needed for the beginner Digital Scrapbooker to get up and running easily in this wonderful hobby of capturing your family keepsakes!

Beginner Gift Pack Includes:

"Getting Started in Digital Scrapbooking" cd (Includes link to download your own trial version of Adobe's Photoshop Elements).
    (1) GDS Beginner Photoshop Elements goDigital Class
    (1) GDS Printing Service to print your first 12 x 12 layout
    (1) Product Supply cd loaded with everything you need to scrap layout upon layout to include:
    8 Page Kits, 6 WordArt Packs, 2 Template Sets, 2 Alphas, 9 Quickpages and 1 Brag Book.
    30% off Coupons good for Debra Anderson and Holly Ann Designs entire GDS Store.
    Great for yourself or as a wonderful gift!

Total Retail Value Over $120!
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

9. New

Hello everyone, I just signed up and am new to digi scrapping.
    I have been taking online lessons in PSp, animation, and doing a lot of tutorials online, but have not really tried the scrapping and making my own scrap sets. I admire all those beautiful set's I see across the web. So I just had to try my hand at it.
    Looking forward to learning from everyone.
    Rhonda in Oregon

Welcome, Rhonda! We hope you like our place here, and we look forward to seeing your layouts. Join in on a challenge--it's a great way to get your feet wet and learn by doing.