shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I'd love to see EVERY designer do

I sort most of mine by design shop and seem to find them easier that way, then by designer. Plus all my purchased files go in a separate folder by designer name. If I get an occasional file - I have folder called 'components' and subfolder with frames, flowers, QPs, minis, etc. I have also started folders with holidays, seasons-fall, spring for the blog trains. When you get a lot of files, it still is a problem remembering where to go to get a file you want. One thing would really be helpful is to have designers name, kit, type file at least paper, frame etc. on each file.

An option for all in one as well as divided files would be GREAT! Meet everyone's needs.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Silly Bean View Post
    Some stores also require designers to include the anti-piracy graphic.
    That's something I did not know. I do know that's the first thing to get deleted out of each download folder for me. Not that I don't care about Piracy.. I just don't need one in each kit folder.

4. Quote Originally Posted by glonet View Post
    An option for all in one as well as divided files would be GREAT! Meet everyone's needs.
    This WOULD be nice, but the problem is that two options takes up twice the space :-(

5. Great suggestions! I have to add that my pet peeve is designers that don't put their kits in a folder at all! When you unzip it all the pieces go into the whole folder and I have to make a folder and put all the pieces in it. Sometimes I don't notice this right away and have mixed pieces and don't know who they belong to.

I agree, not having a folder is my biggest pet peeve right now, because of how my unzip program works (or doesn't work) with stinky Vista.
    ~~Julie P.~~

7. I would love to see designers quit making creased, bent or wrinkled papers - beacause I never use them...ha, ha. But in lieu of that, I would like to see them include a non-wrinkly version of their beautiful papers for those of us who prefer them. I know this would increase kit sizes but I would buy many more kits and they would be useable even after wrinkled papers go out of style. Thank you!

I have always looked for a kit to use for my grandson's Tae Kwon Do. I have found three kits so far and they are all alike. I end up using some oriental kits or putting together a mixture of kits. I would love to see more of this. I am sure that there are other sports out there without kits too.

Things i love to see

Excellant ,well said!
    Some kits i received ,have a Page with the included elements ,it is made in Bridge . I think it is called a contact sheet.and Iliked that.

maggie

Quote Originally Posted by katiehardin View Post
    1) Use unique file names.
    :: My preference is name-kit name-whatever, but as long as it isn't paper1, paper2, leaf1, bow2, etc I'd be much happier.

2) Add your copyright info to the metadata of the file (At least name and personal or commercial use).
    :: Assuming most designers use Photoshop, this info could quickly be added to each file (psd, jpg, png) in Bridge. Then the customer would know what TOU to go look at if there is a question. Plus if I place that element in a layout it automatically adds the copyright info to the metadata of the layout file.

3) Include the preview in the download.
    :: I can't tell you how aggrivated I get when I go back to set my preferences on the folder and discover there is no preview file of the kit's content. I know there was one in the store when I bought the bloody kit so how come it didn't come with the kit?

4) Have a ALL IN ONE DOWNLOAD link.
    :: Every customer should know what their computer is capable of. Most people have dsl or cable now. A all-in-one-download is considerably less frustrating for those of us with high end computers who don't like sitting at the computer forever downloading 2 files at a time and loosing track of which ones we've already downloaded.

5) No blinkies and layouts about pirating and one Terms of Use file.
    :: When you add all the extra files up from each kit and each folder in that kit--it takes up a lot of space. Plus for those with lower download speeds it takes longer.

I also hate nested folders. I get being organized, but it drives me insane when I get three different folders each containing maybe 4 files under the main folder. Just put them all in one folder (Although I do appreciate a seperate folder for the png files when you include the psd file of the complete layout).

I'd love to see ALL designers do these things. It amazes me how many don't. Thanks for letting me vent after hours of unzipping my buys from NSD I needed to.

10. My pet peeve would have to be NO preview included in the folder!!

Maybe all the stores could set a single criteria for file naming LOL j/k would b nice thou :)
    Sincerely,
    Renae' Downey