shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I'd love to see EVERY designer do

Things I'd love to see EVERY designer do

1) Use unique file names.
    :: My preference is name-kit name-whatever, but as long as it isn't paper1, paper2, leaf1, bow2, etc I'd be much happier.

2) Add your copyright info to the metadata of the file (At least name and personal or commercial use).
    :: Assuming most designers use Photoshop, this info could quickly be added to each file (psd, jpg, png) in Bridge. Then the customer would know what TOU to go look at if there is a question. Plus if I place that element in a layout it automatically adds the copyright info to the metadata of the layout file.

3) Include the preview in the download.
    :: I can't tell you how aggrivated I get when I go back to set my preferences on the folder and discover there is no preview file of the kit's content. I know there was one in the store when I bought the bloody kit so how come it didn't come with the kit?

4) Have a ALL IN ONE DOWNLOAD link.
    :: Every customer should know what their computer is capable of. Most people have dsl or cable now. A all-in-one-download is considerably less frustrating for those of us with high end computers who don't like sitting at the computer forever downloading 2 files at a time and loosing track of which ones we've already downloaded.

5) No blinkies and layouts about pirating and one Terms of Use file.
    :: When you add all the extra files up from each kit and each folder in that kit--it takes up a lot of space. Plus for those with lower download speeds it takes longer.

I also hate nested folders. I get being organized, but it drives me insane when I get three different folders each containing maybe 4 files under the main folder. Just put them all in one folder (Although I do appreciate a seperate folder for the png files when you include the psd file of the complete layout).

I'd love to see ALL designers do these things. It amazes me how many don't. Thanks for letting me vent after hours of unzipping my buys from NSD I needed to.
    Last edited by katiehardin; 05-04-2009 at 06:09 AM.

So of this stuff I don't get such as metadata, but I do second the nested folders thing and previews. I end up moving all the files to the main folder just to see it in a thumbnail. I don't understand the need for a folder within a folder?

My bad. I just said metadata, because that is how I think of it. The correct name is IPTC Core. In most Adobe programs (Bridge, Lightroom, etc) you can go to FILE > FILE INFO and it allows you to enter (or see) data about that file.

When you add your copy right info there it automatically adds the copyright symbol at the top right of the screen (I'm thinking in the title bar, but I'm too lazy to open PS right now and check) whenever you open that file and it adds that info to the new file. (In Bridge and Lightroom you usually see the metadata in the area on the right of the screen)

So if I open a template that has the copyright info entered in the core data then add more elements (that have copy right info) when I save the layout under a new name all the copy right information from each piece is saved with the file so you don't need to go looking for the multiple TOU files.

Another good use for the Core data is noting the credits in the description area. Then if you want to upload that page later you don't have to go searching for everything you used, because it is right there with the file.
    Last edited by katiehardin; 05-04-2009 at 05:52 AM.

Katie - I disagree with you about the all-in-one file!! There are still many of us that CAN'T get DSL as it is not avaliable in our areas as many of us live in the country (when DSL finally become avalible we will get it....but it does not look like it will happen unless Verizon updates all their equipment and that is NOT going to happen according to my hubby who works for Verizon). I really dislike it when a file is larger than 50MB as it really ties up my computer for a very long time. A 50MB file will take me 25 to 50 min to download depending on how fast/slow things are at the time (I have broadband).

I don't know how you sort things, but I sort by designer and then have folders under each with all of their kits that I have....so I don't really care to much how the files are named as they are always in a folder under the kits they come from and thus the designer.
    Last edited by rumkimom; 05-04-2009 at 04:38 AM.
    Wendy
    mom to Emily (India-11), Melody (China-9) & Steven (China-4)
    Waiting for Clarens (Haiti-2)

5. WOW, thanks for the input, Ladies! As designers, we LOVE to know what works for our customers and what doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by rumkimom View Post
    Katie - I disagree with you about the all-in-one file!! There are still many of us that CAN'T get DSL as it is not avaliable in our areas as many of us live in the country (when DSL finally become avalible we will get it....but it does not look like it will happen unless Verizon updates all their equipment and that is NOT going to happen according to my hubby who works for Verizon). I really dislike it when a file is larger than 50MB as it really ties up my computer for a very long time. A 50MB file will take me 25 to 50 min to download depending on how fast/slow things are at the time (I have broadband).

I don't know how you sort things, but I sort by designer and then have folders under each with all of their kits that I have....so I don't really care to much how the files are named as they are always in a folder under the kits they come from and thus the designer.

Broadband refers to a high data transfer rate of dsl or cable rather than a dial up connection through a 56k modem. If it takes you that long to download a file I don't think you have broadband (It takes me 2 minutes 13 seconds to download a 50mb file).

I was asking/hoping designers would include a all-in-one download link in addition to the smaller files so people could choose which one was best for them. (i.e. you could choose the all-in-one file when you were going to bed and not needing the computer and in the morning the entire kit would be downloaded).

7. Katie, since you mentioned the metadata information, I have a question you might be able to answer. When I extract on my c drive, then cut/paste to the EHD, often it asks if I should continue to move the files even though some data will be lost. I'm assuming that's the metadata or maybe embedded watermarks that's not moving properly. In every case, when I have opened the moved files to see if they look ok, the graphics themselves seem to be intact.

Any ideas?

jayne

I know there are stores (I think Shabby Princess fe) where you can choose for one large link are for pieces to download... Best of both worlds.
    I don't really care cause firefox exposes a list of downloads so I can keep track of what I allready have and what not.

But I do agree with the filename. I don't have the habit to scrap from one kit at a time so everything is sorted according t what it is (papers by color, stars, hearts, ...). To make proper credits I rename everything according to site_designer_kit_itemname. It would indeed be a lot easier if every designer did it the same way but I don't think that will ever happen.

And I have to admit I hate nested folders !

Quote Originally Posted by briarwoodpups View Post
    Katie, since you mentioned the metadata information, I have a question you might be able to answer. When I extract on my c drive, then cut/paste to the EHD, often it asks if I should continue to move the files even though some data will be lost. I'm assuming that's the metadata or maybe embedded watermarks that's not moving properly. In every case, when I have opened the moved files to see if they look ok, the graphics themselves seem to be intact.
    I'm drawing a blank on that. You uncompress the download file (extract) then cut and paste to move the files to your external hard drive. I don't think it is the metadata. Maybe it is talking about the hidden files that are in each folder.

Try draging the files instead of cutting and pasting. It adds another step (going back and deleting what you dragged), but it would be less worrisome.

Jayne,
    this happens to me too
    usually when I am backing up my photos/videos
    my pop up says I will lose "properties"
    I haven't been able to figure it out
    and, when I go back to the EHD to retrieve, I can still access the files.
    It is still annoying, 'cause I would like to know what isn't transferring.

Oh, I get jammed up on super long file names, so if a designer spells out the whole name, the whole name of the kit, the whole name of what the element is, and then something else -- file name is too long, and the info wont copy. I have spent more time renaming hundreds of "too long" file names to get them copied to my EDH, so I dont want all that extra stuff in there that will get the file name too long -- because, I have had to stop plenty of file transfers mid because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by briarwoodpups View Post
    Katie, since you mentioned the metadata information, I have a question you might be able to answer. When I extract on my c drive, then cut/paste to the EHD, often it asks if I should continue to move the files even though some data will be lost. I'm assuming that's the metadata or maybe embedded watermarks that's not moving properly. In every case, when I have opened the moved files to see if they look ok, the graphics themselves seem to be intact.

Any ideas?

jayne