shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I'd love to see EVERY designer do

By the way, after reading this, I've started adding my information to the Metadata. Great idea!
    Mari

Proudly CT for:

2. This thread has been such an interesting read,I agree 100% with you especially on point 5 & 6 xox

All interesting points and some very valid - file names in particular. I think I'd like to see kits with only one TOU (put it in the main folder if you INSIST on nesting (ugh)) and one preview of whats actually in the kit - not a preview of other stuff you have - I can look at that in the store. So many times there's a TOU and preview in every folder - total waste of my bandwidth even if it's small, it adds up over time, and frankly they get deleted without me even looking at them. Having said all that.. I love the products or I wouldn't be buying them :)

Another thing I would LOVE designers to do is add keywords you can search on in the store.

Don't you hate it when you are doing a layout and need a specific type of element to finish it off and then you can't find it anywhere to buy?

For example earlier this month my cat had to have surgery for a dislocated jaw. So I did 3 layouts (emergency hospital, surgeon's office, and recovery), but discovered I have no injury type elements. Bandaids, hospital, emergency signs, etc.

So I went searching 50 million stores and only got like 3 hits, all night, when searching for things like injury, bandaid, cat, doctor, etc.

Usually the searches just bring up the words in the title of the kit. It would be SUPER nice if specific elements could be searched for and it would show you kits that contain those items. i.e. search for "horse" and get kits that have horse themes.

5. Katie - since you mentioned metadata and how it can incorporate the copyright into the layouts, I've been trying to figure out how to use it. I filled out all the copyright sections of the metadata and everything but when I put it into a new file and save it doesn't apply to that new file....What am I doing wrong? lol. Thanks so much!

6. I've started putting metadata on my kits, too. I have a template saved in Bridge for commercial use and one for personal use, so all I have to do is select all the kit files, right click, select File Info, and choose the template I want. And voila, my name is on every file! I love it. Great tip!!

Also, I wanted to point out something I just discovered -- the Mozilla Firefox web browser does not restrict the number of files you can download, the way Internet Explorer does! So if you have a high-speed internet and want to just click to download and walk away, you can click each file one by one, it loads them into a little downloader, and you can leave it there. I downloaded 13 files at once the other day, from the same store! It was like magic. *lol* I've been an IE user for YEARS, but that finally convinced me to keep the switch permanent.

Wow Kimi. That is awesome to know. I used to have to use Firefox for the Chat room, but haven't really used it otherwise. Guess I will have to check that out.

8. firefox is awesome. I rarely ever use IE. There are tons of cool addons. You never have to see a pop up ad again! spell check, etc.
    Snag me ---->

Quote Originally Posted by KimisKreations View Post
    Also, I wanted to point out something I just discovered -- the Mozilla Firefox web browser does not restrict the number of files you can download, the way Internet Explorer does! So if you have a high-speed internet and want to just click to download and walk away, you can click each file one by one, it loads them into a little downloader, and you can leave it there. I downloaded 13 files at once the other day, from the same store! It was like magic. *lol* I've been an IE user for YEARS, but that finally convinced me to keep the switch permanent.
    That is a fantastic tip! Thank you so much.

10. an all-in-one download would be a bad idea as the only option. I DO have DSL but a file over 35 MB can take over an hour to download. I am more concerned about the number of files that get to the last couple of minutes of the download and crash because of a "file size mismatch" -- whatever that is exactly -- and then I need to try again (if any clicks are left) with a different download option that takes even longer than the original attempt.
    Folders in folders can be a hassle but not something to get hyper about. Unzipping files and downloading files is the "cost" of doing digi-scrapping.
    Now, a gajillion space-wasting previews of other kits in every folder is something that really frustrates me. Sure, I have a TB external drive but sad to say, that is quickly filling up with photos and LOs plus kits ... and I need to take time to delete all the extraneous stuff -- like those previews. I'm learning to do that immediately upon unzipping the file.

just my 2 cents ...