First up, make sure you've downloaded the correct file. I recommend downloading abrViewer_v20.zip from the release abrViewer.NET 2.0. This requires the .NET Framework 1.1, available from Microsoft's website.
Someone has done a hack job of releasing a version for Vista users and others that have the .NET Framework 2 (again, this is available on the Microsoft website). For these people, you can download the file Release_NET20_2.0.rar from the abrViewer.rel.NET2_2.0 release. Note that you will not get the helpfile in that file, so grab it from the abrViewerDoc.zip file in the release abrViewer.NET 2.0 if you want it.
Once you've downloaded what you want...
If you've downloaded the abrViewer.NET 2.0 release (.NET Framework 1.1)
- unzip the zip file
- double click setup.exe
- the helpfile is installed automatically and is available from the help menu in the application
If you've downloaded the abrViewer.rel.NET2_2.0 release (.NET Framework 2)
- Un-rar the files. (With Winrar or similar)
- Copy the new directory to your program files
- Unzip the helpfile and copy to the directory above.
- You'll have to manually create your shortcuts on the startbar
- You will have to manually launch the helpfile, unless you're brave enough to tinker with your registry. Note: DO NOT PLAY WITH THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
- To properly install the helpfile, add a new registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help with the name
"abrViewer.chm" and a value pointing to the directory above.
- For people who don't want to touch their registry - just double click the abrViewer.chm file to view its contents. Note: You help option on the help menu won't work.
I will try to get around to creating a proper release for .NET 2 as soon as I can, but until then you'll have to put up with a bad install - Sorry. If anyone has any more questions, or needs more detailed instructions - specially with the .NET 2 install, please don't hesitate to ask.