shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand Spankin' New

Quote Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
    Hi Amanda,
    I downloaded the trial program and looked around. I am so "program illiterate" and don't know how to operate these types of programs. I did not get very far with it. I asked my son who knows way more than I do and he said he was not familiar with it. Do you know where there is one of these programs that we can use that does not cost money, that are free of charge?
    I'm sorry I didn't see this until now! I would have told you about GIMP just like Carola. I have heard some people in this gallery say that they use it and really like it so if I was you, I would definitely give it a try.
    The other thing I was thinking was that I started using a program that was already on my computer Microsoft Digital Image Pro. Have you checked your computer to see if you already have a program that manipulates pictures (like if one came with your digital camera?
    Feel free to send me a private message if you have more questions.
    Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
    Chanin,
    Wow! That's awesome that you have cut your grocery bill. Are you using coupons? I'd love to hear what you've done.
    Sorry it took me so long to write back...ugh!

Anyway, all I have done is plan inexpensive meals. We have spaghetti once a week, usually breakfast for supper once a week (pancakes or french toast), red beans and rice is popular, ham and beans over bread, grilled cheese and tomato or chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, stuff like that. I plan my menu for the week and I have a premade grocery list of what we HAVE to get each week and then I add what we NEED for that week and off I go to Aldi's (if you have one near you, we love it, they have AWESOME spaghetti sauce) and what I can't get at Aldi's, I get from Kroger or Walmart. Then I track EVERY penny I spend at the grocery!! We have stopped eating out for the most part and I also make some meals that I freeze!

Sorry I got long winded, but I am so excited to be saving this money! It is making us be able to pay off 4 credit cards, 2 cars and 2 mortgages in 8 years!!! Woo hoo!!!!

Oh yeah, and NO I normally do not use coupons because I can get everything cheaper at Aldi's than if I did use coupons at the other grocery stores!!! :)

We are aleady doing those things and it has already saved us much money. My husband just started a different job and is now being paid every two weeks instead of every week. He also took a big pay decrease. But, along with that, we have had some expenses that we no longer have to pay. He was driving a truck across the country and it was costing him anywhere from $100 a week to $175 a week for expenses. I did not realize just how much until I asked him a few days ago. He also has managed to get a very big debt paid off within the last four years and that has helped tremendously.

We also make menus for a week at a time and go to the store. Now that he is getting paid every two weeks, we are doing it for two weeks at a time. I realized this morning that it was time to make another two wk. menu and head back to the store. It does not seem like it has been that long. We have not wanted or needed anything and have saved the time from going to the store as well as the gas and extra money that we would have spent at the store. We have no debt, only our mortgage and the average day to day utilities and phone. Life has been so much easier. Two years ago, I quit a job paying me over $60K a year and my husbands income (we were over 3 figures a year) to stay at home with my two sons. Now, my daughter has moved in and her three children and we are now making it on $40k (one income instead of two) a year. If you haven't taken a look at my blog on being frugal, run over and take a look at it. You may find more ideas that will help you. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them as well.

Thanks for letting me know how you have saved!

Thank you, Amanda,
    I just found the link for Gimp and I am now downloading it. I will take a look and see if I can figure any of it out. I have a way of making something so simple, so complicated sometimes.

Thanks!

I'm working on bringing our shopping bills down, too. I try and make a weekly menu and do most of my shopping at the Commissary (on base) and Sams. Unfortunately, when our photo business gets too busy, I find it hard to make the time to plan like that - even though I know it will save me time in the long run. Anyway, any other hints on saving money? I'm headed over to your blog right now.