PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your digiscrap files?

MsRed
01-19-2009, 04:47 AM
So, I have been collecting lots of great kits and other digiscrap-related files, but I'm having trouble organizing them in my HD... I'm not sure if I go by an alphabetic order, divided by color scheme, by the artist's name or the kit name...
:wub1:

How do you organize yours?!? :bigeyes:

Thank you!

ponicedan
01-19-2009, 04:58 AM
I organize by designers name....But, I have to admit that I think doing by theme would be better because sometimes I have to open all my folders to search for my layout ideas.

agarzaldynrd
01-19-2009, 05:32 AM
I have a mess. I have many folders. I have started putting the paper items in a papers folder, the alphas in a alphas, and so on but I don't like separating the kits that come with all these things. I'm going to watch this thread to get ideas as well.:hairpull:

MsRed
01-19-2009, 07:01 AM
I have a mess. I have many folders. I have started putting the paper items in a papers folder, the alphas in a alphas, and so on but I don't like separating the kits that come with all these things. I'm going to watch this thread to get ideas as well.:hairpull:

At first that was my idea: alphas, embellishments, papers, overlays, etc. It seemed much easier... But the trouble with doing it this way is breaking kits apart and whenever we do an LO that goes online you gotta credit people and I've decided I might was well stick to just one kit, or else I will end up not crediting someone...

Right now, mine are in alphabetical order by artist name, and inside the artist's folder, separate folder for each of their kits...

elenasworld
01-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I organize by store, then by designer
It gets confusing when designers move around, but I like it that way so I can keep track of where I shop too

I also keep Collab kits separately because sometimes the designers are at different shops

candi1973
01-19-2009, 07:34 AM
I organize by designer.... i used to organize by shop, but then I started finding that designers sell at multiple sites. I do recommend that if you end up organizing by theme, etc., that you make sure that the designers TOU stays with the kit so that you're able to give credit when you design with their items. I have found that some kits don't even have a TOU, nor a preview page with their name....and I have a small handful of kits of which I have no idea who designed them. These would be for free kits that were awesome and downloaded. I agree with the commenter above who stated that she saves her collab kits separately. I do the same....

I always make sure the preview is the first file listed within the sub-folder, if the designer hasn't set it up that way, there for I can see it right away and determine if I am going to want to use that kit.

I asked a bunch of folks when I began how they organized their files, and I just found that I had to do what worked best for me.... i admit that it is hard to find a particular item when you have more than 500 GB's of stuff! :-) However, I have a fairly decent memory of my top fave designers work and I know where to go to grab stuff most of the time. The other times, I find it's quite fun going thru my stuff to find the PERFECT element or paper, etc.

I know I probably didn't help you at all, but I remember having this same question so I would be remiss if I didn't throw in my 2 cents. :-)

Warm wishes,
Candi

candi1973
01-19-2009, 07:37 AM
OH! And another note... Just this last week I took the time to back every single purchased item that I own onto DVD's.... I am so glad that when I started organizing that I named files that were PURCHASED with a "$"... So say if I purchased a kit from Andrea Gold. The Main File would be Andrea Gold, Subfolder would be tilted with the name of the kit, preceded by a dollar sign. This will put all of your paid kits FIRST in your subfolder AND it will also make it easy to identify kits that were paid for vs. free kits. This may sound dumb, but it saved me a bunch of time. I also backed up freebie items from all my top fave designers....

MsRed
01-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I asked a bunch of folks when I began how they organized their files, and I just found that I had to do what worked best for me.... i admit that it is hard to find a particular item when you have more than 500 GB's of stuff! :-)
Candi

Goodness, Candi, and I thought I was "out of line" with my 150GB... Well I did get them in less than 3 months, though, so I wonder how big my HD will have to be in one year! :twitcy:

redhotdesigns
01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I just started digitally scrapbooking but it's amazing what you can get in a short period of time. I store mine by themes that way I can keep my kits together. For the freebies I put them in catagories along with themes. Ex: Christmas folder would have everything to do with Christmas. In that folder I would see the kits with designer name. Then I have catagories such as paper, embellishments and alphas for those stand alone items I have. I do need to start backing them up though. Thanks for that tip.

MsRed
01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I do need to start backing them up though. Thanks for that tip.

Ohhh, talking about that... There's this great designer (not sure I can mention her name here, so...), I know her from another forum, she just lost *EVERYTHING* she had this past week...

As she says, she thought it wouldn't happen to her... Her new store only has three items! Poor thing! That must be desperating! All your actions and CUs and kits you've designer over years... Oh, no!

:eek1: :hairpull: :cry:

Attached as I am to my stuff... I'd honestly go bananas!

britnkaysmemaw2
01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I sort mine by Store and then designer. I have started then making sub folders within each kit and sorting by Papers, Alphas, Elements, Frames, etc. This is especially helpful with the Colab kits, I think anyway.
I have recently started copying all of the files into sub folders of just Papers, Elements, Frames, etc. because I like to do the speed scraps and it makes it easier if you can look in one place for papers, etc. I have been watching though to make sure that each file name in those sub folders have the designer and kit name so I know who to credit to. It is taking a while, but that's just personal preference for me.

Love to hear more about how others do their files.

MsRed
01-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I actually linke having all of the kit "pieces" in only one folder... It gives me a better idea of my options...

It also makes my scrapping a little faster. My PC gets very slow when I've got graphic programs running and switching between folders takes forever sometimes!