PDA

View Full Version : Happy Chinese New Year!!

yin
02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to tell you all we're celebrating Chinese New year where I live!! It's 15 days of celebrations from last Sunday on!! That's why I'd not been around much!!

Just thought I should share what we do, it's not a religious holiday, but it's a time we visit all our family, friends and relatives, for 15 days!!

Well just these two days I've met up with my grandma, all my aunts and uncles from both parents' families, about 40 of my cousins, all their children and grandchildren!! Then of course the same is repeated with my husband's family!!!

The children get red packets (with money) from all married adults, we party, stuff ourselves, play mahjong and card games, we're having a blast, and I'm pooped!!! :3:

well, to any of you who celebrates this holiday, and to those who don't, I will take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Chinese New year !!

kpollinger
02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Happy Chinese New Year!

Kimberly

steph
02-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Happy Chinese New Year to you too, Yin!!! I don't celebrate it, but it certainly sounds like a lot of fun!!! I can't wait to see lots of pics and layouts!!!

Stephanie

redring
02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
YAY!! happy chinese new year! I want noodles!!! Sounds like an blast!! Wish we were so family orentated in the u.s. but were just lazy here. :) mouth is watering over the thought of all the yummy food.

ckbymommy
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Happy Chinese New Year to you, too! And thanks for sharing with us how you guys celebrate - what a wonderful celebration!

okblues
02-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Thank you for telling us about the celebrations. Wishing you a Happy Chinese New Year!

twirlyjoy
02-20-2007, 01:27 AM
wow! Sounds fantastic - what a great celebration!!! Happy new Year (just wondering if I should go to my chinese take-away to get tonight's dinner as part of the celebrations!!!)

CrayonQueen
02-20-2007, 05:35 AM
How fun, I wanna party for 15 days!!!!!........... :party:

Happy Chinese New Year!!!!! I hope that you continue to have a blast!!!

lindajd
02-20-2007, 06:18 AM
Happy Chinese New Year to you and all your family Yin...it sure sounds like a lot of fun :)

Debra
02-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Happy Chinese New Year to All who celebrate it! And especially thanks Yin for sharing about yours with us!!

yin
02-20-2007, 07:18 AM
thanks everyone!!! I'm really enjoying meeting all my extended family, a lot of whom we only get to see once a year. Today I just found out that I've got two more grand nieces and one more grand nephew over the last year!!!!! I'm feeling a little old :)

ckbymommy
02-20-2007, 07:44 AM
wow! Sounds fantastic - what a great celebration!!! Happy new Year (just wondering if I should go to my chinese take-away to get tonight's dinner as part of the celebrations!!!)

LOL - we grabbed chinese take-out last night after work, somehow I don't think it holds a candle to the real thing, though.

redring
02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Hmmmmm.... my faverite. is chinese take out. I can tell you its a far cry from the real dishes though. :) The dishes are usually changed a bit or have more seasonings and such added for american tasts. i was fortunate enough to work at an restraunt for a while. The family was soo sweet they had me stay for dinner each evening when the resturant closed. :) that was during my first pregnancy. They saved my life.
That said, LOL! how is the haliday Yin?

yin
02-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Hmmmmm.... my faverite. is chinese take out. I can tell you its a far cry from the real dishes though. :) The dishes are usually changed a bit or have more seasonings and such added for american tasts. i was fortunate enough to work at an restraunt for a while. The family was soo sweet they had me stay for dinner each evening when the resturant closed. :) that was during my first pregnancy. They saved my life.
That said, LOL! how is the haliday Yin?

Oh the holiday is still going on, we're into our 7th of 15 days of chinese new year celebrations !!! Because the public holidays are over, we're back to school and work, but on weekends the gatherings and parties and eating carries on!!! I'm definitely behind on my kits and daily downloads :p !!!

And oh yes, the food my family have during CNY is kinda special - not the usual chinese take out, for example:

- Sharks' Fin Soup - :twitcy: yes, we are a nightmare for animal rights lovers!!!

- Raw Fish salad - this is my favorite though not the raw fish, but the tonnes of yummy salad vegies, sweet and sour pickled stuff that goes with it.

- Dried BBQ Pork - well i can't quite describe this very well, but it oozes with oily bits and burnt ends and we love it!!!

- pineapple tarts - one of the many favorite cakes and tarts ...

Well i could go on and on, I'm just very thankful I do not gain weight easily!!! :laugh:

Debra
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
So much partying... just glad to hear you are enjoying yourself!