PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinion on Hard Drives

Jazzys Mom
05-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I would like an opinion on hard drives. About a year ago I purchased an external hard drive that is I think about 120 gig. This drive is only for my digital scrapbooking kits and elements. Nothing else. Recently its been making a grinding noise so I got scared today and went out and bought a 350 gig internal hard drive to replace the external drive.

How many of you use internal drives as opposed to external and why? Also do you all think a 350 gig is pretty good sided drive. Hubby didn't seem to think I needed a 500 gig or I would have snapped that one up in a heartbeat!

Jazzys Mom

scrappintwins
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Ok let me start off by saying my hubby was a computer tech for years then went into 3D modeling. So we have 1 server computer with 2 500gig internal HDs and 3 external HDs that I think are all 500's too. We both have laptops mine with a 250 and his with a 300 something I think. Mine is about full (lol) so I'm getting a small external soon. I have my eye on a pink western digital 320.
I like internal or small external for my laptop because I can keep everything with me. I have access to the hard drives on the sever but basically I'm too impatient to wait for the files to transfer lol.:wink:

schock77
05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a 250 gig Western Digital My Book and LOVE it. All of my scrap stuff is on it and photos backed up to it. I need (ok...want) another one to backup my scrap stuff. I need to clean it up as I've got some stuff I'll never use on there.

Hope that helps!

Gem
05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Jazzy's Mom,

Buying a new hard drive was an EXCELLENT idea the second you heard that grinding noise. You might well have lost your data or had been forced to pay big bucks to retrieve your information off of a failed hard drive.

How big is the best size? That depends on you. How much do you download and / or create of digital elements (pages, etc)?

You don't have to keep everything on a hard drive. You can burn some of the things you will not use often to a cd or a dvd. Just make sure to check the cd or dvd burned to make sure it burned well before you delete any files. Sometimes they don't transfer well or something and you don't want to lose any of your precious scrapbook goodies, especially your layouts or pictures.

Seagate is an excellent brand. I also have Western Digital and it has lasted well.

Internal or external? If you work on different computers then external could be the way to go because you would have all of your goodies with you as you move to another computer~just plug the external hard drive into the computer and you have your goodies there too. (Ah, how I appreciate portability.)

If you primarily work on one computer, then an internal hard drive is usually cheaper to buy.

If you had a 120 gb hard drive and it wasn't full when it began making that scary grinding sound, then 350 gb was probably a good step up.

By the time you fill that up the hard drive prices will probably have dropped more and you will be able to get more gb for your money.

Hope this opinion is helpful.

Jazzys Mom
05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
The internal that we purchased yesterday is a 320GB Seagate Barracuda. Pretty good drive I guess but we are having a heck of a time getting my computer to recognize the drive! We have put drives in a number of other computers over the years, including Amiga computers - which are a bit strange, and have never had this problem. Hubby is working on it today as soon as I release the computer to him! lol

Jazzys Mom

Victoria32
05-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Congrats on the new hard drive. I just read theat internal drives are stabler than external drives, so the choice to go internal was probably wise. I have a 160 gig internal on my present computer, and have a 500 gig Western Digital external which I have my scrapbook files, my photos and my the LO's I have created. I also have a 120 gig Western Digital passport drive which has my photos, and most of my scrapbooking kit on it. I use this when travlelling with the laptop computer. The only Lo's I save to this are the flattened high resolution jpg and the web sized files. I can alsways print from the flattened files, even if I can't alter them.
My internal hard drive is filled with my programs, photos and some of my most often used scrapbookinfg files.