PDA

View Full Version : Break the Ice!

yin
01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Tell us more about yourselves! Let's have some fun whilst we're at this!

Let me suggest this:
Tell us something no one here on the forum knows about you!

Now i know most of you already know each other very well and are not new like me, but surely there are some things fun we don't know yet!

Let me start:

Ten years ago when i was expecting my first born, and seven and a half months along, i fell and broke my left arm *worried . !!! I was in a cast all the way into the delivery room, and gave birth with my left arm sticking up into the air as it was in a L shaped cast and i couldn't put it down!!! Imagine that?

Now can you beat that?

Debra
01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Geesh! Bunch of chickens we have here!! LOL! Guess I'll go first...

Well, ummmmmm....I have a tattoo! :curtsey:

Rebecca
01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I have been podering this one all day, um I can burp the abc's in one burp!

HollyS
01-05-2007, 05:26 AM
gross rebecca! Let me see if I can do you one better....

When I was was pregnant with my 3rd child and my water broke, I went to the hospital around midnight with my hubby. Because I had a csection with my 2nd, I was going to go ahead and have one again with my 3rd. So they start prepping me and I'm perfectly concious and had to have a catheter (sp?) put in me. OUUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I still can feel the pain! I feel that's unusual because I bet most people are usually out of it when it comes to getting that.

And for those that really didn't want to know that...I'll give you another one. I loved roller skating so much that I went skating after my high-school graduation while so many others headed to the beach! And I still love roller skating and I'm almost 40 yrs old. Strange!

sfcgijill
01-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Since I'm totally new here, I can post anything, right?

Hmm... ok- my name, "sfcgijill", stands for Sergeant First Class GI Jill. I am a SFC in the Army, been in service 22 yrs already. I was GI Jill before Demi Moore ever thought about GI Jane, by the way.

In fact, in HS, I was voted "most likely to be a General". This was way before Desert Storm, so you can imagine how unusual that would have been!

Debra
01-05-2007, 07:03 AM

Hmm... ok- my name, "sfcgijill", stands for Sergeant First Class GI Jill. I am a SFC in the Army, been in service 22 yrs already. I was GI Jill before Demi Moore ever thought about GI Jane, by the way.

In fact, in HS, I was voted "most likely to be a General". This was way before Desert Storm, so you can imagine how unusual that would have been!

How Wonderful! I for one am very honored to be among you here in our little community at GDS!! :bow2me: :bow2me:

beany
01-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Well Joy knows everything about me! So she can't read this!! *wub

I have 3 beautiful kids all of whom are English. But none of whom were born in England! 2 were Germany born - One in the town of Munster where i grew up and one in Osnabruck - where Rich and i got married!! And one was born in Wales.*worried

Giving birth in Germany was the best though - way more civilised!*biggrin

twirlyjoy
01-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Well Joy knows everything about me! So she can't read this!! *wub

rofl - thats why I haven't posted anything in here yet - I can't think of anything interesting you don't know about me!!

beany
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
i'll pretend its new news! Honest!*biggrin

ckbymommy
01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm new here, so pretty much anything I say is news, LOL. But here's an interesting tidbit ...

I'm 4 1/2 months older than my oldest daughter. I'm probably the *youngest* grandma (Nana) on the board being 36 with 7 grandchildren. I have a 5 year old son who has a neice 2 years older than him.

When I married my hubby he had 3 kids, a preschool age daughter (Yennae), an elementary age son (Tre), and an adult daughter(Cheryl). We since had 3 children together, who are now 15/d; 13/s; and 5/s.

Cheryl has a 7 year old daughter and a 2 year old son.
Tre has a 3 year old daughter and a newborn daughter.
Yennae has a 3 year old daughter, 2 year old son, and newborn son.

And, BTW, we don't use the word s-t-e-p in our house, because disney has turned it into a 4 letter word. So those three oldest children are my chosen children,

Anway, sorry if I rambled on too much!

redring
01-05-2007, 02:36 PM
hmmm... well I dont mind the catheter thing I had one. sfcgijill, that is too cool . you have my respect. CK, WOW!! Sound confuseing but I bet tons of fun with so much family. Ok let me see ...... I am RH negaitive wich is suposed to be an rare blood typ but everyone anymore says they either have it or know someone who dose. I love cooking. I call people up and have them come over so I have an excuse. :) New recipes are my friends!!

okblues
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, I can't think of a thing, so maybe later when I'm not so tired. Debra, would never have guessed a tatoo. And Jill, that's awesome & I owe you my thanks and honor. And ckbymommy, it sounds like a wonderful blended family! As for burping the ABC's Rebecca, I will have to send my oldest to you for lessons. She thinks burping is a talent, lol. Hugs ladies!

yin
01-06-2007, 04:16 AM
wow, thanks for sharing, this is awesome and so much fun too! sfcgijill, i'm totally in awe and humbled! And Redring, you're the first person i know now that is RH negative, so you are rare indeed! I'm just a boring O+ *laugh. And dear ckbymommy, kudos to you for managing such a lovely family!

steph
01-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Something not too many of you would know on here is that I got to meet Joy(twirlyjoy) in real life! She came to visit some of our mutual friends last year, and I got to meet her! She is such a sweetheart, and so are her girls!!!! She is the most amazing mom ever!!! I'm a very blessed girl!!!

Steph

Wendy
01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
What an interesting thread :) I have also had the great pleasure of meeting Joy & her girls and Steph and Justin as well!! I can't remember if I told them this or not, but I am a cancer survivor. I had a rare form of ovarian cancer when I was 21.....I am now going on 49 , so I think I have it beat :)

CrayonQueen
01-08-2007, 02:10 AM
wow what a cool way to get to know each other!! thanks Yin for starting this, and thanks to everyone so far who has shared. We have a lot of strong ladies here in our group, and I'm glad to be amongst you all.

I'm pretty new here as well, so let's see.........I have 3 children and each child was a c-section baby. Oh!! Six weeks after the birth of my first child, I had to have emergency surgery to have my gall bladder removed. I had my surgery on Christmas Day.....obviously my worst christmas ever :(

On a less sad note, I can wiggle my ears. ;)

jesstern
01-08-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm new to this site and have recently entered the Supreme Team Contest. See it here:
http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1328&cat=529

My husband and are only 28 years old and have been married for over 7 years, and we are the lead pastor's at a church in St. Louis. We love being in ministry. Both of our sets of parents have been in ministry for over 30 years and are now involved in our church, so it's a generational thing...very cool!

My oldest daughter (3 1/2) is only one year younger than her uncle because my husband is the oldest of 10 kids with the last one being only 4 years old. So I married in to quite the brood, and it's tons of fun!

The whole family is very musical as well, and the oldest 4 kids in my hubby's family, along with me and my brother, traveled as a band for while (I sing).

So that's a little about me!*wub

Daniellesmama
01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
My "secret that no one knows" is an odd one. When I was pregnant, I had a growth develop in my parotid gland (a saliva gland) and had to have it removed two years ago. Fortunately it was not cancerous. The doctor told me that when your body loses a gland it can sometimes compensate in other ways, so I could expect some "sweating in my temple region when I eat." Well, it is more like in front of my ear and down my neck.

Plus I had some nerve damage in my cheek and chin because the facial nerve is tangled around this gland. For the most part, I don't notice the tingling anymore but my husband's whiskers on my cheek feels like pins and needles.

So now you know, I'm a medical oddity! *wink

twirlyjoy
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
well, I can't think of anything that Gill doesn't know, so am going to go for something medical seeing as thats the way most people are going!!

I fell pregnant with my second daughter when my first daughter was only 41/2 months old (they actually ended up being 12 1/2 months apart in age cos Alice was born 4 weeks early!!).

However, I didn't find out I was pregnant until much later than usual because I was diagnosed with what we call CIN3 cells in my cervix - that is, the last stage the cells get to before they become cancerous. I didn't know I was pregnant and so went ahead with the loop biopsy treatment - but ended up having to return the next day because they couldn't stop me bleeding - turned out to be due to my pregnancy which I still didn't know about until a month later!!

When I was in labour with Alice, dd #2, I was in full-blown labour but hadn't dilated - a side-effect of my loop biopsy treatment.

yin
01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
thank you all for sharing, this thread has helped me get a glimpse into all of you we might not usually see!

It does seem that we all have some medical history, major or minor, but thank God we triumped over them!

I've enjoyed this so much, i think i'll start another thread along these lines!!

brandiwest
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I am new here too, so anything is new news!!! LOL

BUT for you guys who everyone "old" already knows about you we don't!!! So share away!!!

My neice and my brother were born the same day in the same hospital delivered by the same doctor!! LOL
and
My brother and my son are 3 months apart in age.

Rebecca
01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
hmmm... well I dont mind the catheter thing I had one. sfcgijill, that is too cool . you have my respect. CK, WOW!! Sound confuseing but I bet tons of fun with so much family. Ok let me see ...... I am RH negaitive wich is suposed to be an rare blood typ but everyone anymore says they either have it or know someone who dose. I love cooking. I call people up and have them come over so I have an excuse. :) New recipes are my friends!!

Make that two! I am A- Shot in the butt every time I had a baby too! Oh and you can cook for me any time I am lazy in that department :P

yin
03-03-2007, 04:32 AM
Just thought of bumping this, since we have so many new members, this was a thread we had so much fun with, will love to hear from you too!

And more from those who had posted here before too!!

I'll go again:
Something else you didn't know about me? Well, I used to play the piano for the service in church (for about 10 years!)

It was great but I took a break to teach sunday school, and now the only keyboard I play on is the one linked to my computer !!:wink:

quiltdeb
03-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Good morning everyone, how long can you claim that you are new around here? :hello: I've been lurking since December, but don't have alot of time to post. I do manage to post thank you's for the Daily Downloads, but not much else.

I don't lead a very exciting life, but one of the things I find interesting about my family is that my dad's brother is his uncle and my mom's aunt is her sister-in-law.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and learning something about each of you. Thank you for sharing.

twirlyjoy
03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
"I don't lead a very exciting life, but one of the things I find interesting about my family is that my dad's brother is his uncle and my mom's aunt is her sister-in-law."

Am still trying to work this one out!! Not used to doing a lot of thinking at the weekends!!

Something else about me, well, my family:

There is only 12 months and 13 days difference in the ages of my eldest 2 girls, and my youngest daughter was not only breech, but was sat cross-legged right up until I had a C-section with her!

okekeca
03-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Ok, since Im new here too I can almost tell whatever I like to and its new for everyone....lol

When I was young...er :D I was dreaming of getting children with dark skin and those beautiful brown eyes and black hair. Well I married a Finnish man with blond hair and blue eyes. And got 3 kids (the girls are blond with blue eyes, boy is darker) whom I adore. Unfortunately hubby and I divorced. Some years later I met a man from Nigeria (12 years younger) and he is definitively black. We got married 8 years ago. But it was too late for me to have that beautiful child, I was too old and maybe too lazy to start all over again. :wink:

Thats my :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: for today.

quiltdeb
03-03-2007, 11:42 AM
My one and only child (DS) is 26 and I had another baby the easy way. A beautiful grand daughter. I get to play with her, spoil her, shop for her and then send her home to her parents. She's only 4 1/2 months old and the best dressed baby in College Station, TX. :laugh:

yin
03-04-2007, 06:21 AM
My one and only child (DS) is 26 and I had another baby the easy way. A beautiful grand daughter. I get to play with her, spoil her, shop for her and then send her home to her parents. She's only 4 1/2 months old and the best dressed baby in College Station, TX. :laugh:

Hey Debbie, I like that easy way to have more babies!! I've been telling my sons that they must gimme grand daughters to make up for them being boys!!!

ADesignGallery
03-04-2007, 06:43 AM

This is my first day at GDS & what better way to begin by thanking you, Jill, for 22 years of service to our country. Our service men & women are heroes.

Now for something about me... In 1988 I was Dx'd with an extremely rare & potentially fatal disease, Fibrosing Mediastinitis (aka Mediastinal Fibrosis). For the past 10 yrs. I've been Dx'd with something new every other year & they're all unrelated to the rare disease. Lucky dog! :rolleyes1: Every day is a blessing because I wake up & BREATHE. :laugh: ~Nita

yin
05-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Ah, I found the thread - thot I'd bump this for all the newer members that have joined us recently!! Tell us something about you too!:bump:

tborntreger
05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I'll start this off for those of us newer folks! Something you don't know about me is that I'm just learning to drive again. LOL. I stopped driving in 2002 b/c of anxiety and have only recently began to drive short distances but still very seldom. I'm conditioning myself as I will need to be mobile next year when the twins start preschool! Funny I know!

saraschlick
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Theresa - Good for you for overcoming your fear and learning to drive again! That is definitely something to be proud of!

As for me, well, I lead a pretty boring life. Something unusual about me is that I was diagnosed with endometriosis and went through three years of homone treatments and surgeries to deal with it. I had my last 3-month hormone injection in January 2005. Four months to the day after receiving my last shot, we got pregnant (without even trying!) with our son! All the pain and misery of the previous 3 years were TOTALLY worth it and now I have a crazy 15 month old!

casey4
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
An interesting thread --

First off == thanks to GI Jill for serving our country.

An interesting fact --- I love scifi, and love attending scifi conventions. Have meet a great number of people at this conventions.

KattyZak
05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a passion for Texas Hold 'Em poker. Love it.

twirlyjoy
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
uummhh, not sure if its very interesting, but something most of you prolly don't know - I LOVE dolls houses and have 2 of my own which I have made all of the furniture, furnishings and fittings for.

I also love shoes and have a collection of 'Just the Right Shoes' - when I was younger, my Dad used to call me Imelda Marcos cos I loved shoes so much!

KattyZak
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Would that be as in minatures? Next week I am selling a monster minature doll house in rough shape and oodles and oodles of accessories and furniture. My MIL passed it down to my DD and it is too much...she gave us a lot of "crap" to make thinks, too, but it was a hodge podge of stuff that did get played with a lot but I reluctantly am decluttering and letting it go because the chances of my DD doing it as an adult are slim.

yin
05-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Joy, I love doll houses too!! And Katty, I wish I could be there to buy some from you!!

I adored them from books and from afar, and finally found some on sale in Singapore 10 years ago - those that you need to fix up yourself, and bought it even though I was expecting (and I knew it was a boy - haha), my dh helped built the floors, and the walls, and was painstakingly doing up the rooftiles, while I had made the throws, pillow cases, curtains,... and I went to deliver my first son.

Sad to say, since then the doll house is still in the same state (with a lot more dust) as then, and I have not yet got a daughter that will motivate me to start on it again, though I'm still keeping all my supplies and vow to one day complete it for my granddaughter!!!:twitcy: :twitcy: :twitcy:

Joy, can you show us some pictures of your dollhouses?? please??

TraciJ
05-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I love dollhouses too!! With three girls, you'd think that I'd have one, but I've never had the room for one!!

Joy, we'd LOVE to see your dollhouses ... why don't you scrap 'em???

scraptigz
05-27-2007, 11:54 AM
I'll start this off for those of us newer folks! Something you don't know about me is that I'm just learning to drive again. LOL. I stopped driving in 2002 b/c of anxiety and have only recently began to drive short distances but still very seldom. I'm conditioning myself as I will need to be mobile next year when the twins start preschool! Funny I know!

You're not alone here, I love that you're becoming brave enough to go out and at least try! Last June I was involved in a pretty serious hit and run in an intersection that didn't result in any serious injuries but sure did result in some mental ones... lol I haven't drove since. Everytime I try to think I might be able to I start to panic. Fortunately my sister and my husband don't mind driving me to and from work and around to do errands. It's strange, though, I was so independent with my driving, drove across the country by myself several times and then boom (literally) I don't drive.

tborntreger
05-27-2007, 01:39 PM
You're not alone here, I love that you're becoming brave enough to go out and at least try! Last June I was involved in a pretty serious hit and run in an intersection that didn't result in any serious injuries but sure did result in some mental ones... lol I haven't drove since. Everytime I try to think I might be able to I start to panic. Fortunately my sister and my husband don't mind driving me to and from work and around to do errands. It's strange, though, I was so independent with my driving, drove across the country by myself several times and then boom (literally) I don't drive.

I was so independent too. It's strange b/c I don't mind relying on my husband to get me places and if it weren't for the kids starting preschool next year I probably still wouldn't be thinking of driving. I am quite sure I will only go to school and back *which isn't far from home* and occasionally I may be brave enough to go to the store alone. LOL The fear can really overcome me behind the wheel! The panic gets the best of me too!

twirlyjoy
05-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Those of you who are (trying to) start driving again - wtg you, and hope you will succeed and get your confidence back. My aunt stopped drigin a few years ago due to anxiety issues, and has gradually been working on getting her confidence back - the girls and I had a pleasant surprise when we saw her driving her car by herself the other day - something my girls had never seen of her b4!

As to my dolls houses, I will take some pics and scrap them in the next few days - they currently have Lucie's birthday cards on display in front of them, and i will be in big trouble if I move them quite yet!!

natalyna
05-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Very nice thread!:love-smiley-011:

They are many things you dont know about me, byt one of them is that I love cooking and backing(decorating cakes you already know). I am even a moderator in one famous Bulgarian cooking forum. Other hobby of mine is painting Easter eggs:)

CJsMom
06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
This is an old thread, but I am fairly new here and don't know too many of you yet so it was interesting to read...

Let's see...some people on here might know this as my mom is Gigichet (one of the moderators), but I will do my best to come up with something.

I absolutely love music and have the radio, a cd, or internet radios on almost all the time. I got my love for music when I was little and I was in band from 6th grade until I graduated high school. I played trombone and I was a total band nerd. I did marching band, jazz band, pep band, and symphonic band. There you go that's my confession :)

Pahina722
06-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm brand-new here, so this thread is lots of fun for me! Something new and interesting about me . . . . well, I met my husband on the internet, and he had to convince me to talk to him because he's younger than I am. We adopted our gorgeous son 2 years ago after realizing I'd waited too late to try to get pregnant. Now, we realize how lucky we are that our lives worked out this way.

bay_girl
06-22-2007, 06:49 AM
I know I havent been around much lately, sorry for that!
but when I got pregnant with my 2nd child we were 100% sure it was a boy, to the point our oldest would call the unborn baby by the name we had chosen. One week before I delivered on the 10 minute road trip home from my moms (who had been swearing all along it was a girl) we decided to work on a girls name. Within those 10 minutes we came up with Kelsey Brooke, sure enough my mom was right it was a name we needed.

On an extended note, about 2 months ago my mom pointed out to me that Kelsey was truly a little devil (we call her that cuz she causes a lot of trouble) her first name contains 6 letters, her middle name contains 6 letters, and her last name contains 6 letters. My husbands name works out the same way.

digiscrapdee
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty new here so you don't know much about me. Here's a couple:

I'm married to Rob who was my older brothers best friend back in high school

My oldest daughter was born when I was 18 years old.

I have 5 children, 4 daughters and a new baby boy we call the King.

nachtstern
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
one thing... one thing...

I just got out of the German Airforce and after 6 years in uniform the biggest concern I had was that I now had to actually CHOOSE different outfits for each day again! :giggle:

Antje
05-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Even though I've been here quite some time now, I didn't have much time lately. Now I try a better time management... LOL
I am sure you don't know much about me. But the one thing I am pretty sure no one knows (shhh Mona!) is that I will celebrate my 14th wedding anniversary and my 24th anniversary with my hubby this year. We've been together since highschool (even though he was on a different school) and I treasure every moment of that time. There is one song that describes our relationship, wich is "You're still the one" from Shania Twain (if you know that one...).